UC in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by CB Swords, Oct 2, 2006.

1. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    UC filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy today. All incoming shipments are on hold.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Re: UC in Chapter 11

Wow. I thought UC was an established company with various "staple" lines for income. Any ideas where they went wrong? Did they overcommit to something, like the LOTR line perhaps?

3. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

There is a saying "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered" I think they might have been too greedy with the LOTR license and got in over their head.

4. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

Frak. How did I miss this thread?

Can't say it surprises me, though. They really did drop the ball on a lot of things -- the LOTR line, the Hibben Line.....

It's too bad, really.

5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Lucky you got just about everything from the LOTR line then isn't it Sky? :)

Mub, seething slowly with jealousy......

Man if onyl I had the disposable income to buy the Gondorian and Elven helmets.....sigh......

6. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You may not be able to get your hands on the UC products, but does that mean there is no hope for the future? Certainly not. Look at this 3D model I made:

http://www.thefantasyforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3815&stc=1&d=1161956688

It looks just like the sword that inspired it, but the only thing I had to go off of was a simple, 2D scaled drawing. My point is that, if you wanted to, you could one day reproduce exact, maybe even functional (gasp!) versions of these swords and armor with very little to go off of. If not, call me some day. I'm only 17, but I'm going to study metallurgy as a chemical engineer, and one day, I'll make swords like this a reality using state-of-the-art metals and technology.

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh I've got pictures galore, and several friends who make swords, especially one who makes awesome blades professionally. But again, these things cost money (moreso than the UC versions to have it hand made), which is the limiting factor to me getting them.

8. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You may not have money now, but my point is that when you get money, the craft to make these items will not have passed from living memory.

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah dude I know,, I'm in a historical group :) We're doing our part to keep history alive too.

10. Kit Rae

Kit Rae New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    UC got into some side business ventures that dragged the company down. The collectibles side of UC was doing great, but there were a lot of new people brought in and some directons chosen to take that had nohting to do with UC's core business. It is sad, and I feel bad for the good people who worked there and lost thier jobs. I hope another company can come in and take up where UC left off. I resigned from UC back in June to persue my own art and design business, but UC's direction was also a factor in me leaving.