U.S. Government Shutdown.

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by olivia_the_lamb, Oct 5, 2013.

1. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Here is what is going on for those of you out of country (and in country) that may not entirely understand why it is happening.

I know this is probably a general discussion thread, but I figured since the topic can be somewhat sensitive, people will probably start debating it, so to play it safe, I posted it here.

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    The big question is who will budge? Both sides believe they're correct, so who's going to give ground?

I live in a country with government provided healthcare, and it's wonderful. But I've also seen economic projections for the USA model, and according to those if it does go ahead in its current form, Medicaid and "Obamacare" will bankrupt the country. basically the entirety of GDP would be taken up by paying interest on ridiculous amounts of debt, and paying for healthcare. So, that kinda sucks.

This is also what happens when politicians cut taxes to buy votes. hooray, less taxes, everybody wins! Except the country, that now has no revenue to pay for roads, hospitals, education, general infrastructure etc etc etc. Taxes suck ass, nobody enjoys paying them, but I do enjoy driving on bridges that don't collapse, and visiting hospitals that are in good working order.