tyranids better than space marines?

Discussion in 'Games Workshop' started by Mord, May 20, 2007.

1. Mord

Mord The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    are tyranids better than space marines because people say that they are just mere aliens with weak armour.
    But on friday down in the work shop my 2 friends had a battle following all rules with 8 models each and tyranids one.
    but when i ask other friends they say there is no way tyranids can win but that match proved its pretty evened out in who wins.

2. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    The armies are all designed to be equal, that's what the points system is all about. Model for model some armies are stronger (Space Marines vs. Orks to give the classic example) but they cost more. An average Space Ork army will outnumber the average Space Marine army at least 2:1, doesn't make either army better or worse. It's all in how you use them.

Tyrannids will usually have several times as many models as Space Marines and it's a tough Marine that can take on two Genestealers at once. A Carnifex can scythe its way through a whole squad of Marines. It's all in the tactics and selection. And lucky dice rolls of course ;)

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Depends on the Marine army and board aswell.

The more shooty type Marine armies have an advantage especially if they win the first turn, because the tyranids have on average fairly poor armour. Yet there is very little else in the WH40k world that can rival the tyranids in close combat. These things will rip you a new arsehole is combat really, they are very scary :O

Also, terrain plays an important part. If there is lots of cover, this can play very well to the advantage of the tyrnaids, because they can flit very quickly from cover to cover to rush into close combat without taking much damage from shooting.

Playing battles by number of models isn't a very good idea, because it doesn't really say much about the strengths of the armies. Hence the points system. Different units have different strengths and weakness and work better in certain group numbers.

For example...5 homogaunts wouldn't be particularly useful, since they would die very fast to space marine fire, but 40 homogaunts rushing up to your army can absorb lots of fire power and deal out loads of attacks to make up for the weak armour and attacks.

4. Blackfish

Blackfish Blood Angels' 5th co.

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Meteorain, shooty marines can pretty easily kick nid ass, but Blood Angels(which I play) generally won't last that long. But then again, it does depend more on the general than the army.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  5. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    No...you just suck :p

I play Blood Angels (first and last army...BA FTW!!).

I've smacked around Nid's with BA....you just need to know how, and use terrain to your advantage :O

6. Blackfish

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, some tips would be nice then. My friend, who has been playing for twice as long as I have, plays nids the most and kicks my ass every time.

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Use lots of cover! IF you get them to attack you whilst in cover you can whittle down their numbers in CC.

Also, the prime thing that most BA players forget is that they can shoot. Oh sure you may go BR, and move, but you are still a Space Marine! Keep some heavy weapons in your squads! Most of the BA players thing...oh we're a mainly CC army. No, not really. There are much better things out there in CC than the BA. On that note...try and have more squads of smaller unit numbers than you would usually...to allow use of more heavy weapons. Great for taking out lots of Nids due to their crappy armour.

Chaplains is another thing....ok, so they are expensive, but omg they are so worth the points! D3+3 number of DC not to mention the normal DC you'll get from rolls! They are so good in combat against those annoying homogaunts and can put up quite a fight against even Genestealers. Their 2 saves are a life saver aswell.

If I can think of anything else I'll tell you.

P.S. Aim for Synapse creatures....the army will fall apart and possibly just all run away >_<

P.P.S My weakness if Black Templars...not in general...just against this one friend of mine. We've played so many times, but I've only won about 3 times (my commander has a disgustingly awesome ability to survive huge CC encounters)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  8. Blackfish

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks. Unfortuneately, up to this point, I have in fact been using my army as a mainly CC army.

9. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    That'll never work against 'Nids, they're CC killing machines (literally). Get shooty, deploy as far away as possible, spread out and try to make them break.

10. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    You see...that's kind of very hard for BA. If it was anyone apart from BA I wouldn't suggest it.

It's worked most of the time for me. Plus I sorta concentrate my attacks around the board in a circular motion. So I initially whittle down the Nid's with firepower, and then get my CC efficient guys to charge in and finish them off group by group.

Gotta remember ALL BA get +1 Str and +1 Ini on any charge, so that helps. Plus the lovely DC and Chaplain with their disgusting assortment of powerful attacks in CC prove useful even again Nids.

Oh yea...one more thing. Assault Cannon, Assault Cannon, ASSAULT CANNON. These things are a godsend against any army...and most especially against those Nids with stupidly huge amount of wounds.

11. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0
    Every army has an equal chance of defeating another. It depends on your army selection, deployment, tactics and luck of the dice.

I play a Khorne Bezerker army the only heavy weapons are on my Defiler, Predator and Land Raider. The rest is all geared up to get up close and personal - which is how the blood god likes it.

As long as you pick your fights and get the charge you should be ok even against the mighty nids.

With shooty armies I find the best tactics are to take out the fast stuff and synapse creatures as fast as possible. And if all else fails pray to the dice gods.

12. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I didn't know that Chaos Space Marines had Land Raiders.

13. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea they do. They just don't have Land Raider Crusaders, only the normal one's. That's if I remember correctly...they've been updating codexes recrntly...

I would never take a land raider....it draws somuch fire and never pulls back the points it is worth...well not unless you playing about 3000+ pts. Lol my friend used his LR once...took out in the first turn with a rocket launcher! Rofl! He was pissed >_<

14. Herald Of Woe

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0

Hehe. Yeah the land Raider is reserved for high points value battles, very high points value battles. Usually I use my close combat dreadnought.

Most of my points is spent on my lord and his retinue. If the get in combat then the can take out pretty much anything with the amount of attacks they roll. Skulls for the skull throne of Khorne!!

15. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I always preferred the line "Blood for the Blood God" :p

I've noticed a very nice thing about the BA special character dreadnought. It can get upto 9 attacks on the charge, all str10 ofc :p (I thikn about 3 minium without charging -he has random amount of attacks-)

Blackfish: Those look like Chaos Marine in your sig...are they?

16. Herald Of Woe

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -0
    Then there is always the mighty Bloodthirster. Get him into combat and watch with glee at the look on your opponents face as his Hive Tyrant gets his chitinous ass handed to him on a red and bronze, spikey, gore soaked plate.

With imperial space marines (pah! Death to the false emperor) if the have prefered enemy Tyranids then they should be ok if they get caught in hand to handcombat against most things - doesn't work against independant characters or monsterous creatures. Just make sure you get in cover and get those bolters, firing. Also try taking some allies from the Inquisitor Xenos Hunters.

17. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Death Wing vs Nids = Death Wing win, well...a really good chance of winning anyway. I mean all those assault cannons? Nid's not gonna survive a heavy turn of assault cannons with their rendering ability now in play.

A Bloodthrister is a bit out of it when it comes to CC, but I think maybe a Carnifex could take one down with their stupid wound regeneration :S

Lictors are pretty scary CC for sure aswell. Hate those things with a passion lol.

18. Blackfish

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Nope, Blood Angel veteran assault marines.

19. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    BA? No way...I swear the middle guy has small horns on his head! Plus...the jetpacks...they look like Raptor jetpacks...not Imperial issue :S

The mask of the left guy aswell looks Chaos. The Chaos banner in the bg don't help either!

Do you have a full pic, because I really don't think they are BA...I mean...If I could see their shoulder pads or something :S

20. Kill frenzy

Kill frenzy New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Tyranids are the best army in hand to hand- Even as a khornate player im willing to admit that.

A space marine army has to use as many tanks and marine squads as it can get.

A unit of 10 marines, 7 bolt guns (14 str 4 shots), one bolt pistol, a flamer and a heavy bolter would do well against a unit of homagaunts or genestealers. Imagine 2 or 3 of those 10 marine units backed up by a tank or two.

And theyre just basic options.