Two-Weapon Fighting

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Halsyon of Cyrodiil, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Halsyon of Cyrodiil

Halsyon of Cyrodiil Master of The Realms

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    So, as I am not very well versed in actual historical events and ways that things worked, I was wondering if there is proof of any realistic two-weapon fighting throughout history. If so, where was it and what did they use?
    I much prefer the long sword in my left hand and dagger in my right, but I'm not sure if this was practical or used at all in history.

2. Aatell

Aatell The one who has two minds

The brotherhood of brothers of brothering brotherl
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    yeha your combo was the dagger is called a parry dagger used as a sheild to deflect hits while you can swing your sword pretty much a sheild used in sword duels during 1800s i belive, but are you using it as 2 weapons instead of blocking with a dagger?

3. Onimech

Onimech New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Rapier and Dagger form was the traditional method ranging back to the late 1500's. It was more common than Rapier alone or Rapier/buckler. It was said that the Portuguese sailors utilizing this same fighting style later inspired Myamoto Musashi to create and perfect his own two sword style called Niten ichi. Which also required a katana in the one hand with a wakazashi in the other. Other sources say it was an older style that used a katana and a jutte that inspired his style.

Now in the SCA, they have created a conjectural style called the Florentine style of fighting that involves two weapons. But there is some argument on if it is truly a historic style or not.

http://willscommonplacebook.blogspot.com/2006/12/sca-errata-sheet-florentine-and-two.html

Now if you are looking into traditional Chinese fighting styles, then that opens the doors into a whole new world with twin hooks, maces, hammers, axes, dao's, and a large variety of small handheld blades.

4. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Filipino martial arts include a lot of 2-hand fighting. It's all based on a system of angles, and theoretically anything works: 2 sticks, 2 knives, 2 swords, sword and knife, stick and knife, sword and shield, sticks of different lengths...

5. karlsmith

karlsmith New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    here are some weapons that used in Filipino martial arts, they have used mostly knives, rattan sticks (weapon like black jack weapon ) and swords for fights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  6. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I like training with double sticks and with stick and knife in particular, but even their approach to using a single weapon is unique, almost like double-weapon. Using, say, a single stick, knife, or sword, the empty hand is kept busy, not waved around as a counterweight. The empty hand or "alive hand" is parrying, slapping, grabbing, whatever works.

Search tags for this page
historical two weapon fighting

two weapon fighting styles