Twilight Saga (possibility of SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Twilight' started by olivia_the_lamb, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Renzokuken

Renzokuken You have failed this city!

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I have to cut in here to disagree with you, Running.

Would BD have been better written if SM had left Bella as the main viewpoint? Let me trial some text:

We got back to Forks. Rose defended me. We kept the baby. Baby breaks my ribs. Ooo, lets try blood instead of food. I feel better!! Oh hi Jake! Blah blah blah! Bye Jake! Can I have another cup of blood? Hi Jake! Bye Jake! More bones breaking! Edward can hear the baby! Leah came in, yells and I feel bad. Oh shit, somethings not right! Oh look, broken pelvis!..........

And it goes on to have the baby delivered, and I'm sure we all know what happens next.

I obviously used a sarcastic way of getting my point across, but I meant no disrespect to you. :) But I hope my point is pretty clear? There NEEDED to be another viewpoint outside of the Cullen house, and the obvious answer to that is - Jacob. So I think she did the right thing, and even though I didn't really enjoy Jacob's viewpoint, I thought it was necessary. :)

2. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Plus we wouldn't get to see Jacob naked nearly so often if it hadn't been his POV. :)

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Actors Chaske Spencer, Bronson Pelletier, Alex Meraz, Kiowa Gordon and Tyson Houseman have signed on to star as the members of the wolf pack in Summit Entertainment's The Twilight Saga: New Moon.

In the story, the wolf pack defends humans against vampires although they have a tribal history intricately entwined with Edward Cullen and his family. The wolf pack members will join Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and fellow wolf pack member Taylor Lautner in the film directed by Chris Weitz which will be released domestically November 20th.

In "New Moon," Bella Swan (Stewart) is devastated by the abrupt departure of her vampire love, Edward Cullen (Pattinson) but her spirit is rekindled by her growing friendship with the irresistible Jacob Black (Lautner). Suddenly she finds herself drawn into the world of the werewolves, ancestral enemies of the vampires, and finds her loyalties tested.

Each member of the wolf pack is of Native decent. Spencer is Lakota (Sioux), Pelletier is Cree-Metis, Meraz is Purepecha (Tarasco), Gordon is Hualapai, and Houseman, who was discovered at an open casting call, is Cree.

Casting of the wolf pack was overseen by award-winning casting director Rene Haynes (Dances with Wolves).

4. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Alex Meraz looks good ^^

5. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    So far I love this series. I'm 300 pages from finishing Breaking Dawn. So far has been on heck of a roller coaster ride even though I totally hate roller coasters in real life. Ugh...its just that something about my stomach, brain, and heart all plunging into my feet that make me very uncomfortable. I really enjoy this series because it isn't all about vampires sucking blood from humans. I just enjoy the way they considered monsters but they still believe they have a good side to themselves. I'll give my final opinion on all four books when I finish Breaking Dawn. I'll return in a couple of days. Take it easy everyone! Also, I'm totally up for Team Edward. lol.

6. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Well.....I finished Breaking Dawn Saturday morning at about 9 a.m. Even though I had gone to bed at 2 a.m. that morning. I still got up early.....7:30 a.m. to complete it. Now that all of the books have been read...I'm going to make my final statement. Books 1 - 3 were awesome while book 4, Breaking Dawn was a MAJOR Letdown! I felt like I had been ripped off after I finished reading it.

SPOILERS BELOW! DON'T READ ANY FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED THIS SET! THANKS!

The first three books told us continuously how difficult the transformation to vampire was going to be, told us about the sacrifices, how undesirable it was, how some of the others missed being human, the slip-ups, the lust for blood etc... And then when Bella was turned - Nothing. Everything was fine and she's perfect. I can't relate to that. Bella went from being a flawed but likable character to being a perfect 'heroine' endowed with every virtue imaginable and became less interesting as a result and Edward was like a cardboard cut-out of the Edward we knew and loved.

Maybe I'm a bit odd, but in order for me to read and enjoy fantasy books, I have to have at least one foot firmly planted in the real world. When Bella became pregnant, I lost that footing. One of the main rules of writing fantasy fiction is that the author MUST remain true to the basic fundamentals of the "universe" she is creating. All along we knew that Edward and Bella couldn't even french kiss because his mouth was full of venom, because all of his bodily fluids are venomous. It was that chastity that caused the fire between them to burn as hot as it did. Vampires are supposed to never change, and yet Edward's body is able to produce viable semen that doesn't immediately "change" Bella?

The whole genetic explanation by Carlisle made no sense whatsoever. With my foot firmly planted in reality, I can buy that there might be vampires living in the Pacific Northwest, that there might be an Indian tribe with a legend that is true. But a pregnancy between a human and a vampire that goes to full term in less than two months ending in a birth of a child with a full set of teeth and the ability to talk within weeks? C'mon, that's pushing it. But even then I tried, I really, really tried, to accept the story and go where Stephenie Meyer wanted us to go. I was nearly tempted to stop reading when I saw the ridiculous name Bella came up with (where was Edward when that decision was made and why didn't Esme at least acknowledge the "honor" Bella was paying her?) but I forged on.

Sex doesn't have to equal babies! I hated the baby. I know that SM didn't want Bella to miss the chance of being a mother but heck, she was becoming a vampire, and it would seem like an obvious sacrifice to make. Rosalie had to make it, Esme had to make it. But Bella gets to choose to be a vampire AND gets motherhood into the bargain. If she had to have a baby then why couldn't the baby have been human then Bella would have had to choose between it and immortality. That would have been more interesting than a super-baby with a ridiculous name. And also would have been a great example to the young adult audience that you can't always get what you want.

So there are my thoughts. Anyone else have any further comments??

7. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Just that I more or less agree with what you were saying. I loved the first three books, but Breaking Dawn sort of ruined what Twilight was meant to be.

8. itsinfinite

itsinfinite New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *MASSIVE* SPOILER ALERT:

Did anyone else feel completely stilted with the ending? Confessor brought up great points as to why the fourth book was a failure, but didn't touch on the ending itself.

They prepare for however long for what they are expecting to be this GIANT and EPIC battle between the volturi, and after some arguments etc, the italians WALK AWAY. What the hell is that? It was like six hundred pages preparing the reader for absolutely nothing.

It seems to me, that by the fourth book of the series, she was just tired of writing and wanted it to end. She wanted readers to get their happy ending, so you have the wedding, the honeymoon, the baby, her being changed. I can accept that it was easier for her to change than most others simply because she was an odd human already. But the plot of the book failed dismally in comparison to the others. Even in reading the others I was periodically thinking "Really? This is friggen ridiculous" (OK, so I think that about the whole series, honestly, but I remained slightly curious as to where she would take the characters and kept reading. It was an ok series but definitely not the best thing ever written.) But that last book. Holy crap. The whole thing was just ridiculous premise after ridiculous premise leading to a very, very flat ending.

And oh yeah, what was with the Romanians saying that "The Volturi's day would come" blah blah when that book is supposed to be the last in the series. (Aside from the midnight dawn or whatever-- twilight rewritten from edwards pov). It's like up until the last ten pages of the book she was planning on writing a fifth installment and then randomly changed her mind and gave readers a flimsy and very pointless ending.

ha. that turned into quite the rant. Sorry. :p

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, you're right. I was sort of disappointed that the Volturi walked away at the end. If they would have 'died' though, it would have required more explanation. Who would replace them, etc. Not to mention that leaving them alive provides a means for the next series if she so chooses.

I keep wondering if I'll like Breaking Dawn more when the movie comes out?