Turmoil in Iran

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by azuren82, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Sooo... what does that mean? Please decipher the google translating mistakes for me.
    Hossein says that there was no electoral fraud?!

2. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Okay, so after seeing that translation, I'm starting to doubt the general Iranian intelligence where propaganda is concerned. If it's possible, somebody pls prove my own cynical self wrong. -.-

To RW: Basically, I think he said what he meant aka there's no election fraud during that infamous Big A victory. Which is pretty much of a Revolution Guard propaganda b/c when we're talking abt religion being fused with politics, it's a recipe for disaster in terms of both legislation and corruption. The Roman Catholic Church has prove it before, remember? -.-

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  3. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to help you out Azuren: Propaganda is only doing a good job, when the ones supposed to be influenced by it do not know that is is indeed propaganda and not objective, free news etc.
    It has therefore nothing to do with general intelligence, but with your ability to question the system under which you live. Which, if you were never taught to question anything, is quite a hard thing to do, I imagine.
    => Don't be too hard on Hossein

4. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, in this sense, yes it doesn't have any relevance to intellect. But then again, that also means that brainwashed people don't have the capability to think for themselves. Basically it might be a case of whether it's a half full glass or half empty. On one hand, lack of objective education played a role, hence discounting the intellect factor. However, that will also means that the said people don't have any means to think for themselves. It's not a matter of responsibility. It's up to whether the people actually have the self awareness to question what they think is wrong in the propaganda. Simply put, the effective propaganda you've said is actually a means to tamper with the people's own self awareness in terms of intelligence. That's what I'm trying to say.

5. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    azuren, I think it's generally accepted that propaganda works on any population. It's got very little to do with intelligence.

And you really do underestimate Iran and the Iranians here, azure. I've met some - and, to be honest, they generally are a rather forward-thinking people. And it's no third-world country either. Both education and welfare is well on track.

They are very proud, though - and rarely allow for outside criticism (much like the US). And, as I have explained time and again before; given the current regional development, I'd say that the current state of affairs is no more then "typical".

They are stuck with a subversive regime, though. Like China is. Much like China is, actually. They just get a lot of bad press lately.

6. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Well, now that I've thought over Tur's post, I guess I might have gotten way too overboard in my own sense of cynicism. Well, yeah, I've actually failed to take into account of national pride. -.- btw, what do you guys think about all the random fatwas and sharia laws going on there? After all, it's run by Islamists.