Turmoil in Iran

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by azuren82, Jun 24, 2009.

1. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, surprised that no one put up a topic on this issue given it has happened for quite some time. Anyway, guess you guys should have known about what is going on in Iran on the whole so-called election farce. Honestly I'm not in a position to judge, but imo Ahmadinejad winning a vast majority of the votes seemed rather unbelievable. It's like to win around 60% of the votes or more, that guy got to have a certain power base in the city areas, which basically is a traditional power base for Mousavi (sp?). No wonder the opposition were crying foul. That and the protests are getting messy. So what do you guys think about this on top of all the bigwigs in the ruling government denouncing the whole thing as a ploy of the Western countries to destabilize the country? On an ending note, this is one interesting question from my churchmate: Will US want to see a stable Iran or a chaotic Iran?

2. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Well if the vote was actually ok...then they can't go out in the streets and shout but again...they shot people and beat them up badly...pigs.

You know...when you get that image of Islamists taking that angry look on their faces and shouting like mad "ALLAHU AKBAR!" it's really nasty.Degrading for Islam and makes you scared.

3. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Problem with Iran now even before the voting debacle is the fact that Mr Big A has been going on and on abt the "Western oppressors" while the economy there was going downhill. Also the whole nuke possibility still remains open amidst the entire Iranian government defiance in the face of the international community and anyone who thinks the Ayatollah wasn't involved one way or another needs to get an IQ check. Also the religion law there was like "Oh she's a woman? Let's stone her!" :S

All of this probelm posed a major headache to anyone who has the decent mind to be concerned about either the people, future state of Mid-East stability or both. Honestly speaking no matter how this issue pans out, it's not going to be good for Iran. For sure UN will condemned it and we might see new sanctions that will only escalate the whole tense environment. Obviously extremism in Islam is pretty scary and unethical just like all forms of religion and politics. But as long as the Muslim community felt hard done by US or just about any Western powers to varying extents, what we're seeing now obvious won't end. Sad but true. And the wrost thing is that in my opinion, this problem won't be solved even for the long run. :(

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Actually Iran is far more loose in terms of Islam in comparison with Saudi Arabia.The problem is that Saudi Arabia is a friend of the Americans but Iran isn't.

A thing about Iranians from my personal experience: Most of the Iranians who live outside Iran are against the Islamic state and the revolution and prefer the old Persian pride.Also,in Iran the government has low internet speeds on purpose and when I talked with Persian girls they were lagging man! :/

Oh and one more thing...Persian girls are from the most beautiful girls on the planet.Their women are like models.That I assure you!:p

Now back on topic...women there have much more freedom than in the arab gulf states.Most of the youth there(which make up for about 2/3 of the country's population)prefer a more "Relaxed" and modern state.But I guess they all hate USA for supporting Israel so much and being anti-Iranian since the late 70's.Also with Aghanistan and Iraq occupied by American forces they are naturally afraid that they will be next.

That's why the Persians turn to Russia and China in order to secure their safety and try to improve their military arsenal.

What's scary is that in Iran there are about 50,000 people who volunteered to become suicide-bombers in case another country(America mostly)invades them.Well that's scary.

Iran with all its oil could be super-rich now but the Western bloc don't really give them too much of a chance to improve themselves and become more peaceful.

Also most Persians are displeased with the state too but they can't do much as long as the Pasdaran exist(Iranian Revolutionary Guards).The people kicked the Sah out of the country and replaced him with other tyrants.

5. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Well, the one thing I can say is that the election was obviously rigged. Ahmedinejad may have truly won, but the falsified results only tarnish whatever the truth may have been. For instance, there were a lot of regions that went to Mousavi in their last election by a healthy margin, but in this one gave him only 1-5% of their votes, including his own home town. And there were some regions that reported more than 100% voter turnout; they just happened to be mostly for Ahmedinejad, too.

As for the question of what the US wants... I'd say a controlled chaos is what wants to see. If they're stabilized, the balance of the Middle East might get out of whack by them getting more influential. If they fall into total chaos, the region will be destabilized as well. So what the US should want to see, and the rest of the world for that matter, is a level of chaos that keeps the political balance of that part of the world in check. That, or a non-extremist leader. :p

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    This reminds me of the elections in Iraq where Saddam used to get 100% of the votes :p

7. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    The U.S. would rather there be a chaotic Iran so that they can come in and restore peace by installing a puppet government like they did in Iraq.

8. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Except that anyone with half a brain knows three fundamental facts. 1 - Americans are sick of wars (for now). 2 - The rest of the world is sick of us starting wars. 3 - The US military is stretched to it's limit already. Oh, and a bonus bit, a draft would only lead to mass rebellion against the current leadership, so there's no good way to have another war at all.

So, for now the US government should (and I stress should because most politicians are apparently unable to think past their own stupid little agendas) want Iran to be just chaotic enough to be unable to further their anti-Western rhetoric, but not chaotic enough to collapse and leave a large void in the Middle Eastern power structure.

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Iran is a really funny, but scared country. And it makes sense, in a strange kind of way.

So, first, let's not forget Iran is not a democracy, however much they just had elections. Real power is with the Council of Islamic Guardians (or whatever the correct name may be) - and the president has accountability to this council, not (or - much less so) to the People. So, in the end, the elections didn't make much of a difference.

But people were given a choice. And a lot voted against the current system of gouvernment (by voting for Musavi) - but it makes sense that the people who really decide wouldn't stand for that. Whether or not the elections have been tampered with, I don't know. But it appears Imam Khomenei mingles deeply into the issue, whilst Musavi supporters are generally silenced, even (and especially) within the Council.

And the people, especially in the (generally more liberal) larger cities wouldn't take no for an answer. The current republic was founded on a revolution, why not have another one?

Ow well...

In the mean time, I don't think the US - as such - really is a party anymore. The US has no choice but to back Israel which, on occasion, means condemning Iran. In the mean time, Iran is trapped between US occupied territory and friends (Turkey, for instance, is a NATO member). Although Iran is a surprisingly densely populated country, feeling a bit like Asterix does make sense, when considering the current map of the Middle East. And, whilst Teheran reeks of magic potion (in this case - nuclear weaponry), Israel is in conflict with the Palestine - and America occupies Iraq and Afghanistan, none of the parties have any option but to stay somewhere between cordial and hostile.

10. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    If America and Israel attack the only thing they're gonna do is unite the Persians and make them forget their current differences.And it's gonna be a lot harder to conquer Persia because they have a much better army than Iraq,more mountains and a lot more people who are willing to fight.Plus they got new AA weapons from Russia.

But right now North Korea threatens U.S.(wtf?)

11. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Maybe I should start a new topic here on N.Korea?

12. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    It could be fun :p

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Gotta love that state controlled media. Official Iranian news had a report of a peaceful protest dispersed without incident by their security forces.

Meanwhile, leaked footage from mobile phone camers shows more brutal beatings, bloodied protesters fleeing in fear etc.

As much as we may think Iran's election was rigged, what with the international observer's report suggesting such, but remember the furore when George W Bush "won" his presidency. That seemed just as dodgy, and that was in the "home" of democracy. And that didn't get overturned by the will of the people either. So I see no way in which Iran's leadership will allow this vote to be recounted or overturned in any meaningful way.

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
  15. HOSSEIN.M

HOSSEIN.M New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no...no
    iran is very good ..

=========
    ایران کشوری مسلمان است.و اگر شما در مورد انتخابات صحبت می کنید.این را بدانید که تقلب در انتخابات از سوی وزارت کشور رد شد.
    و احمدی نژاد با حدود 60%آرا رئیس جمهور شد.
    ایران آشفته نیست.ایران کشوری زیباست با مردمی عالی.
    شما ایران را از نزدیک ندیده ایید.بنابراین قضاوت در مورد آن بی مورد است.
    bye...

16. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm speaking for 99.9% of this Forum when I say: We can't read Persian (or whatever language that is).
    Sorry >.>

17. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yes it's farsi.I think.

Ministry of Propaganda poster? :p

Just kidding.

18. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    all I got was the "no... no Iran is very good" part
    does that mean:
    A) No, you guys got it wrong, Iran is good!
    B) No, Iran is not good
    C) Sarcasm: Iran is veeeery good. Yeah right.

Most probably he meant that Iran is a good country. Well, I guess we agree. Noone said Iranians are bad.

19. azuren82

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    In reality, there's nothing wrong with the Iranians in general. What's the main problem is the fact that religion has fused with politics, which in reality will be a recipe for disaster. That's why there are nutbars saying Iran is a good country while throwing potshots at other countries in particularly the US ala the Big A rhetoric. And worst of all, whatever form of objective dissent got killed off pretty quickly via brutal means.

20. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Gotto love Google Translate :D