Tsunami in Indian Ocean: Death toll at 23,680

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sorcha, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I know someone who comes from Sri Lanka.
    He lives here in Germany but his family lives on the island.
    I hope nothing happened to them!

2. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Touch wood!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people who I care about are in thailand...I've not heard from them yet

4. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
  5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    The count is 60.000 at this moment...could even be more...

6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    They said this could double due to disease afterwards

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Something on this scale really can't be comprehended. I believe the death toll will be well in excess of 100,000 by the time disease and infection and starvation etc wreak their havoc as well. Just unbelievable. And Asia is our neighbour.
    This could just as easily have been Australia wiped out, coz we all live on the coast. There was actually an 8.something quake between the South Pole and Tasmania 2 weeks ago, luckiyl it was a horizontal shift not vertical so no tsunami. But Sydney and Melbourne etc could have been devastated just like Asia.

It's a terribly cynical thing to think, but I can't help thinking - the world has been horrified as we've seen this tragedy unfold, and the international community is rallying immediately to provide aid. But if 50,000+ Aussies/Americans/English etc had been killed, would Muslim countries like Indonesia (who have lost 20,000+) be dancing in the street like they did after 9/11?

8. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Apparently, India, which has been ravaged by the tsunamis, has been sending supplies to other countries like Sri Lanka.

Imagine, my dad said something about going to Penang, Malaysia for Boxing Day...we're really lucky not to have gone, it's the worst hit in Malaysia.

9. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    70.000..it keeps getting better and better..........

10. AcrobaticHippo

AcrobaticHippo Determined

In Turtleopia, training Elan's turtles :P
    Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I doubt it'll stop below 100,000, many years ago, an earthquake struck one undeveloped city (I forgot the name) 300,000 were killed, we're looking at MANY, MANY undeveloped cities here, so I suppose it'll increase tenfold, and the aftermath like diseases aren't helping at all...

11. Celestial Wanderer

Celestial Wanderer searching for peace...

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I am just extreamley worried and anxious...I hope everyone's okay. Especially all of thoes we know whom we suspect are affected.

But it seems that Sir Lanka is in utter chaos. Just when Sri Lanka was picking up in tourism.

Due to terrorist attacks from both the Tamil Tigers and the Sir Lankan Government, people have suffered long enough. Just when we thought the peace talks would work out, President Chandrika Kumaratunga became Prime Minister as well. Like her parents ( both being Prime minsters once), she was known to have resented the Tigers and their movement of a separate Tamil nation.

Because of these political ideas, people suffer. Now, they have to suffer again, from these tsumanis.

Problem after problem. From Emperor Ravana's time, till now...Sri Lanka ( "beautiful island" in sanskrit) fades, in terms of beauty and peace. Many, many people had to suffer.

Sad.

12. Celestial Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thank Goodness!! I was wondering perhaps, what if Austrailia was attacked, with a part of it facing the Indian Ocean. It was a good thing no more other countries got affected.

Mubbuban, did you feel any earthquake or tremour from your country?

Well, some of them ( actually many of them), would have done such things. They would have viewd it, as God's punishment. Yes, this act of Westerners do prove humanity and indifference of faiths, among you all. There are also many Hindus ( India, Sri Lanka, Thailand) and Buddhists ( Sri Lanka, Thailand) who are involved. Can any muslim say that this was done to punish the "idol worshippers"?

Indeed, cynical as it is, this question clearly shows difference in perspectives: How do people view things. Will the "minions" of the devil ( of whatever that is) do good to those who mock them?It is time for them to change their perception.

Yeah, surely( or hopefully) Indonesian attacks would have mellowed by now. Their country is in a crisis, and nothing comes before helping your country and your people

13. Celestial Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Oh, a whole city, called Kadaluoor (" Sea City" in Tamil, which makes its fate even more sad to think about) went down into the mreciless cruel ocean, in India.

Alas, Tamil Naadu is also unfortunate.

Ancient Tamil Literature speaks of many waves like these, destroying three kingdoms, to date. Each one was called Madurai. In the ancient Tamil epic Manimekalai, Puhar, an ancinet world-renowed port city, was sunked by huge tsunamis as well ( which people view at that time, as a divine punishment from the nymph Manimekhala).

Two ancient Tamil academies ( called "Sanghams" ) were engulfed in huge waves as well...

Yet, The Greeks who believed in an ancient Lemuria continent and the Tamil Kumarikandam ( Continent of Kumari) thoguht that they were swallowed by waves. Somescholar think these two were the same, but then again, this is the history of oceanic floods in the Tamil region of India.

14. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    OMG!!!!! Richard Attenboroughs!! Grand daughter was killed!!!! and his daughter is Missing!!

This is the biggest disaster that's struck the planet in years!! I mean the death toll is already triple the amount of 9/11

15. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    The death toll is now over 80,000, thats far more than triple 9/11. That was over 3,000

16. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0

His daughter is dead also. Just saw it on the news

17. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I only heard about this tsunami today. It is indeed very tragic, although I'm glad other people are the ones helping, not harming for once.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  18. GALADRIAL

GALADRIAL New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How Tragic! Thank God it wasn't a MEGA-TSUNAMI. There would have been ALOT more casualties if it had been a MEGA. I saw on the Discovery Channel about a month ago a special about Tsunamies. The one that happened in the Indian Ocean is what they called a "regular" Tsunami because it was created by an underwater earthquake. A MEGA Tsunami is created by a landslide or iceslide into the ocean which creates waves 10 times the size as ones generated by earthquakes. WOW could you imagine that?!

19. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I know! But things are bad enough, that's one of the few good things.

20. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Anakin, that had beter be sarcasm or something. If you're seriously happy and thanking god for this catastrophe, then you need to stop posting in this thread and keep your opinions to yourself. If I'm wrong, please correct me and I'll apologise. But if your comments can be taken at face value, I don't think anyone here appreciates them.