Troy

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Mububban, May 13, 2004.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    WARNING: I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but this is a story that's thousands of years old so shouldn't hold too many surprises.

Good but not great. That's how I sum up Troy. It's almost 3 hours of good, solid entertainment, and I'm always up for a good sword and armour movie, but it never really combines all its potential elements (and an outstanding cast) to get anywhere past "entertaining" and move into "wow" territory.

If you were expecting epic battle scenes like LOTR, you'll be disappointed. It's more a series of short skirmishes as each side takes turns being agressor and defender.

Achilles' fight style rules. Swordmaster Richard Ryan did a great job turning Brad Pitt into a real invincible killer. Supposedly the son of a godess (?) he is invulnerable in battle, except at the back of his heel (that's the Achilles Heel for the stupid girl behind me). Gods are referenced in the movie, but are not an actual presence. Achilles moves almost magicly, but not entirely out of the realsm of possibility for a born warrior of unsurpassed skills and reflexes.

The Achilles vs Hector fight is one of the best duels I've ever seen, and I'm in a re-enacting club and (not wanting to sound big headed) I know what's flashy cr*p and what's good sword fighting. This stuff was good. Big heavy blows aimed to chop your opponent into pieces.

The sets of the city of Troy are beautiful, but some of the CGI shots of the Greek fleet and the massed battles weren't quite spot on. Again, LOTR has set such a high standard for the sword and battle genre that other movies really have a lot to live up to (the less said about the CGI in The Last Samurai, the better). But it's not so bad that it's jarringly distracting.

For those who were worried about nudity and sex, there's a half-second glimpse of Helen's naked butt, and a glimpse of Brad Pitt's butt, but no bare breasts or full on frontal nudity. And no graphic sex scenes either. So no need to wrry about that, the brief sex scenes were all done quite tastefully. And there was no swearing that I noticed.

The cast is fantastic but the acting was again, good but not excellent. Sadly there are a lot of stereotypical characters. Eric Bana nails Hector as the noble warrior. Orlando Bloom is brave to play such a nancy-boy considering his teen girl idol status. Paris is a lover, not a fighter. Dianne Kruger as Helen is okay, but not actually given much to do except stand there and be pretty. Brad Pitt's a bit wooden as Achilles, but then again, Brad Pitt is always a bit wooden. Sean Bean is okay as Odysseus, a good and noble king endentured to Brian Cox's powermonger Agamemnon. I half expected him to start frothing at the mouth, he's a vicious powermad monster. Apart from him, both sides are represented fairly balanced. Peter O'Toole is great as King Priam, a pious man who believes totally and utterly in the will of the gods. His scene with Achilles is one of the best acting scenes in the movie. And Aussie girl Rose Byrne does well as Briseis.

Don't go expecting a historically accurate movie translated directly from Homer's epic poem The Iliad. The siege of Troy lasted 10-20 years, but it's over in weeks in the movie for momentum purposes. As for the authenticity of the costumes, weapons, armour and architecture, I'll leave that to someone else to judge.

Good but great, definitely worth a watch, and I'll be buying it on DVD mainly for the Hector vs Achilles fight. Catch it at a cheap session, but definitely see it on the big screen.

2. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a movie for rent instead of theatres. Thanks for the review Mububban. I really look forward to seeing Sean Bean in it. He's a great actor.

3. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ive been dying to see this movie for awhile now, im going to see it soon. Thanks for the review though, i always like to hear about what other people think.

4. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the great review :)

I'll probably see this movie after all.

5. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    *lol* What? You weren't planning on seeing it? :p

Thanks for the review Mubu :) I didn't want to be spoiled... but I'm a sucker for spoilers, hehe. I'm not saying or implying in any way that it's your fault, by the way! And plus I've been reading about it long before the previews started showing up. I'm definately going to see it, probably tomorrow (Tuesdays are cheeeep! :D) so I'll have my own comments/review some time after. And I'm looking forward to that Hector-Achilles fight!

6. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I heard that Hector is the only truly admirable character in the movie.

7. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I just saw this movie last nite and it kicked ass, Brad Pitt actually did a good job of playing Achilles, which was surprising, and as for that Hector-Achilles duel....Wow. That was one cool action piece.

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    They did a decent job of presenting both sides of the conflict. If anything, Hector is noble to a fault, as witnessed by his unnecessary duel with Achilles. I doubt even Achilles could have dodged 100 archers at the same time. But such things do not a movie make.
    Odysseus (Sean Bean) is a good character, a good and noble king forced to serve the snarling Agamemnon in order to save his country from being crushed and completely overtaken.
    And old King Priam of Troy is a good and noble man, unfortunately his total faith in the gods overrules the cold common sense needed in times of war. So there are a few admirable characters really.

Last edited: May 18, 2004
  9. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Odysseus bah! :p *lol* Tricksy and false, he was!

Anyway, I loved the movie, nice sets, nice music, nice bodies :D:D:D Oh, and uh, nice plot, nicely portrayed heroes. Hector was indeed the best of the best though. Noble, brave, loyal and wise. Achilles was also well-played, as mercenary as you will get. Not so sure about his whole relationship with Briseis though, where did THAT come from? *c*

I'm glad Paris showed some redeeming qualities. Good acting by Orlando Bloom, methinks, very unlike Legolas and Will. And I hope I'm not being too biased here, hehe :D

I found myself sympathising with Helen, and she was not the only one to blame for causing the war. I don't know how historically accurate that is, but I think they did it nicely. I think I'm overusing the word nice *c*

Apparently Americans and Canadians, and others most likely, don't get taught too much about ancient European history, so I don't know how they think of the movie, but I knew quite a bit about the story (at least for soemone who didn't do a lot of history in highschool and college) and I thought the movie was very well done. Very epic. Very moving. In fact, I had tears in my eyes two or three times, which is quite a feat for any movie hehe.

I thought the fight sequences were good, and the seige combat I liked too. Fun watching the archer ranks :) THe one-on-one fights I thought were pretty good, but I don't know as much as say, Mubu ;)

I think it's a movie definately worth seeing on the big screen. I'm definately going to buy it on DVD when it's out. I'd give it 4 stars... at least. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anduril

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My father has read the books quite a few times.

11. Gregorius0202

Gregorius0202 The Bronze Warrior

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Mububban, here's a personal look at the weapons and armor, clothing, etc... Also, I'll provide some further information from online sources...

The costuming, etc... Was all pretty bad. They did a very nice job of the 'kilts' worn by the Mycenaeans. A few styles of shields were present, but very badly interpreted, such as the Boeotian shield that influenced Achilles'.

Helmets and cuirasses/corselets were crap. Period. Total Hollywood rubbish. The swords would have looked good in Lord of the Rings, and the embellishment on them was garbage, but looked pretty! For information on Bronze Age arms and armor (not specifically Achaean) RECREATIONS, visit these pages:

http://www.bronze-age-crafts.com

http://1500bc.com/bronzeage/index_eng.html

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/bronze.html

... I'll make it easier... To get information on Recreations, you can use those sites, plus mine (www.bronze-warrior.com), but for everything else, just look at the bottom of the larp.com page I posted above. Matthew has a wonderful set of links! I'd offer mine, but they're still in the works! (www.bronze-warrior.com/links.html)

If you're interested in the Era of the Trojan War, and wish to ask questions to some of the men who own these sites, and others who are interested in the Bronze Age, please visit The Bronze Age Center Forum... Located here:

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php?

Cheers!

-Gregory-

12. Boromir_the_ranger2

Boromir_the_ranger2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Qoute Anduril "Sounds like a movie for rent instead of theatres. Thanks for the review Mububban. I really look forward to seeing Sean Bean in it. He's a great actor."

i agree Anduril he's a very good actor!!

13. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Time to make enemies....... I hated the movie......... couldn't be paid to see it again.

14. Elynnya

Elynnya Elynnya

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Deleted.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I thought the movie was very good, I watched it several times after each other when I got it on DVD. And I don't care if the movie is hystorically wrong or right. It's a "movie" not a documentary! The fight with Achilles and Hector was the best. It had its own style. Brad Pitt did a good job in playing Achilles. He wasn't the kindest guy around that you see as a hero, but still you do. I really thought it was the best movie of 2004!

16. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Troy... well, I liked it, but it wasn't one of my favourites, or something that I would watch often. It was OK. There were some good ideas there, but they needed to be developed further. Some great emotion was shown, but it could have been much deeper. The actors all did the ebst they could with what was given to them, but really, a story such as this really needed to be bigger, more exciting, more emotional, more meaningful. I thought having Sean Bean narrate the movie was one of the smartest decisions the director made. It gave it a really sad tone, and really placed emphasis on the emotional side of the movie, not the fight scenes. I was glad that they did this, but they could have done alot more. It could have easily been turned from "It was good, OK I guess" to "Wow, that was one amazing movie". Unfortunately, it didn't quite get there. 7/10.

17. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really thought Troy did a fantastic job of keeping the armies neautral rather than making one the good army and one the bad army. You might say that the Greeks were the clear antagonists, but I think Odysseus really carried the notion that they had some justifiable reason for continuing their siege. I think that a lot of people felt a little bit weird with that sort of storytelling, but it was nevertheless very unique.

Did anyone see the director's cut? It was crazy weird. They pretty much re-scored the entire movie, so it was odd. Added scenes completely changed the dynamics of some sequences. For instance, the beach of Troy sequence in the director's cut seemed more like a contest between Achilles and Ajax for glory.

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    the director's cut dissapointed me... I liked it when Achilles looked up and bashes his chest looking up to Apollo saying like 'who's the man now!' after he decapitates the statue of Apollo. That was a nice change. The music was badly edited. I mean they just took the music from the fight with Hector vs. Achilles from the new Planet of the Apes and though the music is better it totally didn't fit with the fight, the previous music was not as good but it suited more with the scene... Then there were other scenes when Achilles and Patrocles are training it is taken from the Count of Monte Cristo... Also when Priam faints after the fight was hilarious! There was also music from James Horner that were repeated so many times in the new score... It just works on your nerves...

19. Morgaia

Morgaia Eystaun,The Grey Alliance

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I really like this movie, its one of my favorites. I think it did a really great job showing Achilles personality....he is supposed to be arrogant and his confidence in his choice to meet his doom and gain his glory slips as the movie goes on and he falls in love....to me that is acurate...*shrug* just my opinion though

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't call it acurate... but still interesting...