Trilogy Patch Up!?? Boo-ya!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by elvenarcherinarms, Oct 12, 2003.

1. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    AICN rumours PJ's plans to shoot additional scenes for ROTK next year before the ROTK:EE, maybe even trilogy packs, go on sale..! Could this mean the reinstatement of the Shire's Scouring? Sharky?? Even the bewailed Tom Bombadil.. Old Man Willow and the Barrow-Downs/Wights??? HOLY GA'ZOINKA! I sure hope so!
    Go to the source for more information..

2. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    O my. I wanna see Scouring of the Shire back, but they would have to remake Hobbiton again, and I believe they already destroyed it...

3. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My bet is this will have nothing to do with the first two movies.
    Only ROTK:EE material.

4. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeh.. I got a little OVER-excited .... but can't complain regardless.

5. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I beleive thats what they generally did in the scouring of the shire;)

It wouldnt be that hard to make the shire again theoretically...

6. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    That would be so cool!!! Especially if it covered all three movies.

However, the rational side of me tends to agree with OBSERVER that it would only be for the ROTK EE. Either way, the more film they shoot the better if you ask me! :banana:

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    *** SPOILER ****

Please tell me how they could have Sharky/Saruman involved with the desecration of the Shire and the subsequent scouring thereof, if he's already been killed in the opening scenes of ROTK??? They'd have to reshoot the entirety of ROTK with an alternate ending!
    They could do some Tom Bombadil stuff if PJ is a big fan of ol' Tom, but unless they attribute the Scouring of the Shire to random bad humans rather than Saruman as the mastermind, we won't be seeing a scouring! Live with it! ;-)

8. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Umm...Saruman is going to be killed? By Gandalf (who else would be strong enough to do it)? Gandalf the White? After his sermon to Frodo in FOTR about mercy? Surely not.

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    **** SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS (OR DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO SARUMAN IN ROTK) ******

In the books, Gandalf returns to Isengard and the defeated Saruman who is still being guarded in his tower by the Ents. He breaks Sarumans staff and basically robs him of most of his powers.
    In the books when the Hobbits return home after everything is over, Saruman has escaped Isengard and gone and destroyed most of the Shire out of spite for the Hobbits. When they return home they find the Shire full of bad humans, the Hobbits rally together and kick them out.
    Saruman is defeated once again, and the way out he abuses Grima Wormtongue one time too many, and Grima cuts Saruman's throat and runs off, from memory then getting shot by Hobbit archers.

So in the movie, Saruman will be killed by Grima by getting his throat cut, as in the book. Thus "in the same manner, by the same hand." But it will be near the start of the movie and will be at Isengard, not the Shire. And that's why the Scouring of the Shire cannot take place (at least not with Saruman at the ringleader), because he'll be dead already! And PJ wants to remove Saruman from the audience's mind as a threat, so we all concentrate on the REAL bad guy, Sauron.

Phew. I think that about covers it ;-)

10. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    **SPOILER TO NON-BOOK READERZ and MOVIE - GOERS ALIKE**

Well Mithrandir, in the books, Grima slashed Saruman's throat in the shire for making him choose to eat Ted Sandyman (Mr. 'far off tales and childrens stories' in Fellowship EE) or starve to death. But the 'scouring' scenes seem to have been left intact in FotR, during the scene where Frodo looks into the Mirror of Galadriel. And I do believe that one of the 'old forest' scenes was also left intact in TTT:EE, because they still have Old Man Willow swallowing up Merry and Pippin, but instead of good ol' Tom Bombadil, Treebeard comes to their rescue. If you look at these trees in this scene, many of them look like the trees in the forests of the Shire, when the hobbits run from the black riders :D !!

As for Saruman being at the scouring, if it just so happens to happen in the Trilogy Edition (they have been confirmed) of the films, they may just change these parts (they do this in almost all director's cuts, in the manner of alternate endings--think Apocalypse Now Redux) to allow ppl to see things as they were in the books... But dont expect them to remove the elves from Helm's Deep.