Training swords

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by NorthFire, Mar 8, 2004.

1. NorthFire

NorthFire Consort of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering what you guys use for training weapons? I use multiple things. One of them is pvc piping. This is really inexpensive and lightweight. I also like to go to lowes or home depot and get flats of metal, grind them down, make handles for them and you have a sword. And ofcourse you always have the traditional wooden wasters. So what do you use?

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    My group use spring steel swords that we make ourselves, a standard blade, pommel, crossguard and heat treating come to a grand total of about AUD$85, or USD$65.

They're cheap, super-sturdy, and they're the right weight so you're not jumping from lightweight pvc to heavier steel. They feel like a sword because they are! :)

3. NorthFire

NorthFire Consort of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Where do you get your metal supply from? Theres no one around where I live that sells spring steel.

4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    We get laser-cut sword blanks in 4mm steel from the eastern states but not sure where. We have longsword, broadsword, saber and shortsword blanks, and we've just done some 15th century longswords, and we've also done some Arwen-inspired Elvish swords that look fab.

We also get pommels cast and crossguards lasercut which makes assembling a stock sword very quick and easy. The pommels are round, brazil nut (Norman) or lobed (Saxon & Viking).

Have a look at this page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~bill/laser.html
    Try contacting the company in question if you like, maybe they can ship overseas.

One of our members made this rather beautiful pommel, from around the 8th century AD: http://members.dodo.net.au/~geminusdementia/Dark Woods Forge/Jewellery/JewelHtmls/saxonpommel.htm

Not all our swords are made from stock pieces. We often grind our own swords from bar steel, and our crossguards and pommels from stock metal and shape it however we like.

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have used varuous things as well. When going through the moves myself i use one of my own swords, I have 3. If I am practicing a new move, i have wrapped my blade in leather so I don't cut myself LOL

I have used the pvc too, but I fill it with sand, so it has the weight behind it.

I have also use bamboo pieces, with a piece of bar down the center, for weight as well.

6. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    for my training i use my practice swords that I had made. basicily any long sturdy piece of wood will do or if you can afford it a wooden sword PM me for a link to a place where you may purchase sword training supplies

7. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I use several things, but I recently got a nice Oak Boken, and that is what I mostly use now.

If I am just doing forms I will sometimes use one of my real blades, but most practice I do is with my Boken.

PVC filled with sand is good, but it takes a little bit of work to get the balance right, and not have the sand slide all over the place inside. Its not to hard to do, just slightly annoying.

8. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I use a variety of things
    Shinai
    modificated shinai ( ie torn apar tnad rebult to be more swor ldike in shape and weight and balnce non of thes day I gt pics for my greteswerd and post them online some where)
    rebated pratcie rappiers and schalgers
    and eepes whcih I really dont like
    my specially desghend tomohawk make from heavy duty faom and leather.

9. gohekan

gohekan The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i recently got a katana.i used to use the machete and any good sticks layin around.My father is a lumber marketer so im pretty good with homemade bokens.But sadly my katana broke over a stone.(my novice friend was swingging at a snake recklisly, poor, poor novice.)But thats why they made metal and the good old ebay.