Training Help

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Scrinlord, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey people, I was just going to ask real quick if any of you could give me some pointers.

I have been in various forms of martial arts for about 10 years now. I have had a lot of good teachers, but I have always kind of had an instinct for fighting. I just know how to do stuff almost instintually.

The same thing goes with fighting with swords, I have not had a lot of sword training, but I picked up on it really quick, and in independent practice and group melees, I got quite good at it.

My problem arises from the fact that my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to fight, and use swords. She has a lot of the basic talent needed, and she is more than competant (both mentally and physically) for training, I just am not sure exactly how to go about teaching her. Much of my fighting ability is almost instictual by this point, and I do not know how to teach her very well. I am teaching her basic techniques and such right now, but I do not know how much farther past the basics I can go without confusing the hell out of her. Any help would be greatly appriciated!!

(P.S) The sword techniques she wants to learn are those pertaining either to a Katana, or to a European longsword/bastard sword. The hand to hand techniques are mostly based on Funikoshi Karate, but I can implement a little of just about anything if you have a good idea. I have had a lot of martial arts experiance, so if I dont know exactly what something is, I can usually figure it out pretty easy with a little bit of an explination.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  2. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well my first suggestion, which you may not like, is to have her get another teacher. Have her practice with your melee groups and such. One good way to try is to find a SCA (www.sca.org) near you and have her learn and practice with those swordsmen, especially when going longsword or bastard sword. I only say this because learning from a close friend or loved one can put a serious strain on things at times. You may say she needs more work on something, she doesnt think she does and then next things ya know niether one of you are talking anymore LOL< I have seen this happen too many times. another great place to try is here ( http://shinkendo.com ), they do traditional training and teach solo and partnered fighting.

3. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to take her to another teacher, and that is actually something that I suggested, but she does not have money, and her parents wont pay, for her to take lessons of any kind. Unfortunatly, all of my melee groups are about 700 miles away from where she and I are right now. I left home for college, and was so busy with schoolwork that I was unable to find any good melee groups in my present area. When I come back next year, I will look around more, but I dont have any groups around here except for a ninjitsu class, but that takes money that we dont have right now.

4. aragorn8866

aragorn8866 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My tip would be to train with other sword fighting techniques (such as fencing), to get basic ideas of how you would fight with smaller swords and work your way up from there. It really helped me get beter at fighting with bastard and long swords.

5. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also you this since you are at college, some have fencing classes as Aragorn suggested
    but also some major domos will also do a type of scholarship program or a work study program.

6. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No. Actual technique in both katana and longsword would be different from any of the styles suggested, for the reasons I will offer here.

In order to perform a killing blow, the sword must move to what I call a 90-degree position. That is, you have to draw back the weapon in preparation for a swing. The tap-tap you see in fencing and boffer combat is no good with a real sword in real combat. You're no going into real combat, but we do want to have respect for the sword and for history.

Now if you hold your sword before you, in what most consider a "defensive position" you need to do two steps before you land a "good" blow - the windup, so to speak, and the pitch, or cut.

Meanwhile, someone who is following the teachings of a historical technique, will draw their weapons back into a 90-degree position, and wait. When he sees you drawing your sword back from your defensive position, he will cut you immediately, beating your two moves with one.

Another advantage of the 90-degree positions is that they look open, and are often seen as invitations. That's a trap, and one I hope you and your friend do not fall prey to.

7. aragorn8866

aragorn8866 The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is absolutely true orkin but i was mearly suggesting he should try other styles to hone his own. Also, if an epe fencer is trained well enough, they would be so fast with a foil or rapier that you would have a sword in your gut before you would have time to get in a good strong killing blow with any other sword.

8. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Aye, fencing is a good way to tighten your reactions, and if you haven't taken formal lessons before, it teaches the discipline of point control and footwork.

Armed with a longsword, I would fight against a rapier differently; it would still be my strength against his weakness.