Tolkien TV: Tales of Middle Earth

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Cjg, May 8, 2004.

1. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How about that? A television series based in Middle Earth. I hope it happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SFcrowsnest.com News Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lord of the Rings TV Series
    Rumours of a possible LoTR television series circulate.

We've been tipped off that the legal and ownership issues which surround the Lord of the Rings have come under an intense round of negotiation as a significant unnamed party - said not to be Peter Jackson in this instance - work towards a new multi-million dollar per episode television series set in Tolkien's Middle Earth.

The working name of the project is TOME - Tales of Middle Earth - and the proposed timeline is the years following the events in The Hobbit, but prior to The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

One of the main points that need resolution is whether Peter Jackson should get first dibs on a movie adaption of The Hobbit, or whether the TOME project should be allowed to develop the children's book as a movie prior to the launch of any television series set in Middle Earth.

More news as we get it.

30 Apr 2004 by JessicaMartin

2. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't be excited about a tv series. Unless of course, it was directed, written, etc by the same team that made LOTR. And even then, I don't know if I would embrace the idea.

I just don't think a TV series would work. the adaption of LOTR to a movie was enough of a gamble, although it worked out very well. But what if a LOTR TV series was to pull a Redwall, and just be absolutley terrible compared to the original material? I just din't see the reason for a TV series, I'm just hoping for the hobbit.

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Didn't Ian McKellan suggest they make the Hobbit into a tv series? I think that would be cool. Something to finally watch on tv and not have to pay to see ;)

4. Cjg

Cjg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think the Hobbit would make a good cartoon TV series.

5. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    No not another cartoon, the LoTR cartoon scares me! :p

6. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    They scare me too. They give me nightmares.....

Anyway, if done properly, this could be really cool. Although what I think would be even better would be to do The Silmarillion. Because, honestly, we're never going to get a movie out of any of it. It's too long, and too complicated. Maybe I'm crazy, but TV or a miniseries would be the only other way to go. I have to agree with Jesse, though, that the same team that did the movies would have to do any TV series, or it wouldn't be right at all. But wow, that would probably be one expensive series to shoot wouldn't it? But it would have to look good, not another Xena or Sci-fi series type of thing.

7. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The Sil would be an awesome TV series! Really hard to do, would definitly need a devoted team.

8. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Totally!

The Silmarion is more 'do-able' as a TV series because it's broken up into a series of incidents, rather than just one story. You've got your individual episodes set out already!

9. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah! It's just finding the right people to play the parts, not everyone can play an elf properly

10. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Ya, you gotta have a lot of tall beautiful people. But I think The Silmarillion tv series would be cool. Who wouldn't watch?

11. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The Silmarion is more 'do-able' as a TV series because it's broken up into a series of incidents, rather than just one story. You've got your individual episodes set out already

Ive always thought that. I want to see the sil done as an animated series like a cross between the animatrix and the HBO animated shakespeare shorts. (anybody ever see those?)

I am certainly not interested in an episodic live action TV show in the vein of "Everbody Loves Pippen" or some such nonsense. Even "large budget" tv shows have horrible production values generally, Dune is a good example. (hbo excluded)

12. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    You know what I found out? Someone I talk to online is actually writing a screenplay for the Sil. She is a true Tolkienist too!

13. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I suppose it would be ok as long as they stuck to the story and didn't try to update it or modernize it at all.

14. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    we most definitely do not need a repeat of Rankin-Bass's/Bakshi's cartoon crap again.

maybe a mini-series, live action, with the same artists and weta behind the helm of it all, maybe then it would be all good, but it better not deviate from the story. whether or not i watch it is another thing though....

any possibility of Sil making the cut for the tv series instead(hint *wink* hint !!)? and a cartoon of it would only be acceptable by me if they handled it SERIOUSLY, like cartoon network's 'Star Wars: Clone Wars' cartoons.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  15. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I was always hoping they'd do The Hobbit as a mini-series, kind of like Band of Brothers. Each episode can be a chapter from the book.