Tolkien: The Lost Recordings (BBC Radio 4)

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Druid of Lûhn, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Recently on the “Seriously…” programme from BBC Radio 4, there was an episode about finding these lost recordings from a 1968 television interview with J.R.R. Tolkien.

The “narrator” of the show cuts in every so often, more so at the beginning, and is rather annoying, but the rest is good and it's quite interesting, based more on Tolkien himself and how he was seen at the time, than on his work (although those are mentioned as well).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07mvd5z

2. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This is really cool :D thank you for sharing!

3. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I thought it was great to hear him and hear what people who met him thought of him. Didn't really learn anything new, as I've written a dissertation on his life and how it impacted his works (and compared it all to David Eddings) for school.

4. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    That's really cool, your dissertation must have been really interesting, and fun to research! I hope you did well in it :) I've seen a few documentaries and read a bit about him so yeah the info isn't exactly new but it's still a really cool to hear :)

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    It was great fun :D My friends were researching Napoleon, dyslexia, etc, and I went and wrote 14,000 words on my favourite fantasy authors, where half the research was reading their books, and then got 90,8% “la plus grande distinction”.
    The subject was “How successfully do the social settings in which Tolkien and Eddings were writing cohabit with the fantasy worlds they created?”

I then wrote 13,500 words on “To what extent is the computer's transmission system similar to the human nervous system?” the following year, in French.

6. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    That's amazing XD what were you studying that let you write such great essays???
    To be honest that actually sounds like a really interesting essay title, very intrigued.
    In French? wow.i think I could barely write that in English

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm from Belgium, where we never get to drop subjects at school. So in the UK most people do 3 A-levels now (my dad did 7 though back in the day), in Belgium we're doing 11, mostly to the same depth (34 hours a week).

In our final two years, we have to write a dissertation (as in proper university-style dissertation if you want good marks), of a topic of our choosing, with a supervisor/mentor. The first of the two can be in any language taught at the school (French, English, Dutch, German, Spanish), but the second (final year) must be in French, because it's an official piece of work.

Being able to choose what I wanted let me work on my favourite subjects: Fantasy, Computer Science and Neuroscience.

Now I'm studying Computer Science, although I almost went for Old English (and I help my girlfriend with her OE essays).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +793 / 5 / -0
    Old English <3

Thanks for posting the link to these recordings! I'm very curious about what they're all about, and I'll listen to them as soon as I can!

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Just so you don't expect something that it's not: Tolkien did a video interview with the BBC in 1968 that they filmed over about three days. The podcast is the people who filmed it talking about that and about him, and every so often they'll play a recording of him. You can hear him speak Quenya, and talk about a few other things. He's generally quite funny I likes to point out that their question is wrong. It was a good listen.