Tolkien Related Tattoo

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha. I know a guy who can confirm it for you if you dare...

2. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Well, job done! Got my new ink yesterday. Pics here.

3. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    Very nice tattoo :)

4. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Emelie!

5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know you loved Chinesefood so much :)

:D

Its a nice way to put your kids name on you without doing what everyone else does.

6. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Har har har! :p Hehehe

Yes, I've wanted something with the Tengwar alphabet for years...either Quenya or Sindarin. I'd thought of my own name for the longest time, but when my daughter was born 4 years ago, it became an obvious choice.

Then it was a matter of spending the time to make sure it was right!

7. Ilaelin

Ilaelin The Mother of Dragons

Hades with the rest of my evil friends...
    Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    I'm reviving this thread because I am itching for a new tattoo and I'm thinking maybe it's time for something Tolkien related! Any one else want to share?

8. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +778 / 4 / -1
    I would probably get something related to the Dunedain tattooed, not quite sure what though I'd have to do some research.

9. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    @Midnattblod please let me know what you come up with. I'm thinking something elvish for me but I don't know. Maybe even Tolkien's initials?

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2

Not Lord of the Rings related... from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the sleeping Gryphon on my chest...
    [​IMG]

I think getting a LotR tattoo is a bit, I don't know, done to death. Once everyone is doing it, it kind of seems more like a fad and not so special. I think if you're going to get a new tattoo you should make it more individual.:)

11. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    @Sparrow are you really Dave Mustaine incognito? ;) I'm outside right now and it's hard to see your tattoo but what I can see looks pretty damn cool. And I agree with you to a extent, it can be a fad but I think if there's more meaning behind it instead of "oh that's a pretty tattoo" it can be legit. Because I'm with you it kinda drives me nuts when people jump on a band wagon of pop culture. For instance the tribal tattoo, one of the worst fads imho. BUT being of Hawaiian descent I can appreciate them, when done well. I've always been a Tolkien fan but when LotR the movie came out I was in a tough spot in life and the movies were of my solace. Hence me wanting one. That's just one tho, I'm going to start working on my sleeve soon...I hope! *crosses fingers*

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Yeah, I've heard that one before... "do you know you look kind of like Dave Mustaine"... I can at least say, though I have a fair complexion, thank goodness I'm not that white, nor is my hair red. And I have a better singing voice.;)
    I think whatever you decide on, just take a while before you commit to it. And if it turns out you have your heart set on a LotR tattoo, get something nobody else has. I've had a mermaid drawing I did months ago thinking I'd like to get it tattoo'd on my arm... but I'm having second and third thoughts about it.:)

13. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    Your hair does look a bit gingerish in the photo and I'll take your word on the other things! And maybe some day you could sing us a tune!? ;)

I agree wholeheartedly on all points. It's been 10 years since the movies came out and I'm still searching and yes I try to find something as original as I can or just make something up! :D I will say I do that too, I think yeah I really want something then I have second thoughts. I've been playing around with the thought of getting an ouroboros but I can't decide how I want it to look. It can be a serpent or a dragon and I of course like the latter but I am having a hard time finding a reference to work off of that I really like. Even now I have tattoos I think I would have done differently. I'm just happy I never got them when I was younger or I'd really be getting some serious laser treatments or coverups. Lol! :D

14. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Ouroboros are tricky because they can take up a lot of real estate on your body, and if it doesn't turn out right, they are impossible to cover up.
    My problem is deciding on a style... I really like American Traditional and came close to getting a swallow on my chest, but wuss'd out. That's why I'd like to do the mermaid, it fits with American Traditional and will never go out of fashion.
    And yeah... getting tattoo'd too young can be a big mistake. My little sister has a Scottish flag (rampant lion) on her left butt cheek, and a fairy with a sword on her right butt cheek.:D

15. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    If I do one it would be simple. Something similar to this. But my plans aren't really set in stone for it. I just know I am itching for new ink and I just have to decide what, since I don't quite have enough to start my sleeve. And I'm always open for suggestions. ;)

I would go for American Traditional for sure! Swallows are always a good go to in that style but a mermaid is a bit different would look amazing in American Traditional!

Your poor sister. Well, at least no one can really see her bum!

Attached Files:

16. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2

Oh no, lots of people have seen my little sister's bum, lots.:)

When you're ready to do your sleeve you might want to think about something on the other end of the fantasy spectrum, maybe a branch with leaves and flowers wrapping around the arm, with a fox coming up from the wrist and a robin at the shoulder? Foxes look good on girls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    @Sparrow...I am so loling right now. I don't know if that's suppose to be a good thing or a bad thing about her bum?!

And thanks that is actually very creative, alas American traditional is not quite my thing but you could definitely do it numerous ways for sure. Plus I'm not too into color. Being from Hawaii my skin is fairly dark and I prefer the look of black and grey and on my left wrist I have a lotus blossom and some cherry blossoms together. So, I want to continue the Asian style theme on that arm and turn it into a sleeve. But it's not to say I couldn't add some type of fantasy to it(not just the usual dragon) but something else. You you definitely have my gears spinning with that idea! :)

18. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Pleased to see this thread still going (off and on) after all these years! I've still got 2x Tolkien-related tats in mind. One is simple...one not so much. The simple one is my wife's name in Quenya. Cliche? Perhaps. But it means something to me and that's all that matters. Also, it will go nicely with my daughter's name (attached).

As for the "not so easy" ... I'm trying to conceptualise a Tolkien sleeve/half-sleeve. Preferably half-sleeve, I think...to the elbow...but not so low as the wrist.

Lots of ideas...little talent for doing such things off my own back. I'm a competent artist when it comes to drawing something I can reference...but not for germinating something new!

(Attached pics of my daughter's name from a couple of years ago when it was done.) Ink1.JPG Ink2.JPG Ink3.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ilaelin

Ratings:
    +209 / 2 / -0
    @jeremiah.l.burns hey you are still around! I swear I'm here, then months later I'm not then I'm back again. Lol!

I remember when you got that tattoo, I thought it was a brilliant idea and you did the research to make sure it was correct and authentic and didn't just say "oh that's lovely who cares what it means!" I think those are the people that just get something because it's what's in at the moment. For instance I've always loved Tolkien's Smaug that he drew and thought of getting one of those but now it seems many of those types of tattoos are out there so that's why I am reimagining what I'd like to do. But I know I will get at least one or two or more Tolkien related tattoos. :D

I have to say I am right there with you when it comes to drawing from reference I can do that no worries but if it's in my head it gets lost in translation on it's way to my hands and it turns to stick figures. I've even thought of going to deviant art and commissioning someone to do something for me. I know I've had a hard time finding someone that does fantasy tattoos well where I live. Good luck with your half sleeve. Keep us posted on your thoughts or any other ideas you have. I'm still searching myself and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Btw, when your daughter is older she will know she definitely has the coolest dad ever! ;) Goregous tattoo thanks for sharing.

20. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Haha, yes. I'm still around occasionally! I do a lot more on Google+ these days. I think I've had to consolidate my social!

I've considered Tolkien's Smaug too, and decided against it for the very same reason! So, there's probably some validity in the theory...

Yeah, my other problem is procrastination. Attached is my most recent update of my current work. I started it July of last year. I just keep putting it off! Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but I do like discussing art too!

Yeah...not sure. Either that, or she'll die of embarrassment.

You know...a year or two ago, I came across this guy's work. It's breathtaking, and could make excellent fodder for inking. Very inspiring.
    http://breathing2004.deviantart.com/gallery/30260599/art-of-Tolkien
    Thanks, will do. 13 - 1.jpg

Search tags for this page

jrr tolkien symbol tattoo

tolkien tattoo