Tolkien Related Tattoo

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    If you were to get a tattoo realated to Tolkien, what would it be, and where would you get it?

A few ideas are Tolkien's Signature, Your name written in the Sindarin script, the One Ring, etc.

Give your thoughts!

~Jeremiah

2. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I would get this symbol (see attachment) in black on my wrist. Small enough not to stand out, but large enough to look good.

3. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Ah, the Tolkien symbol. Good choice

4. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. That's what I was thinking of when I said "Tolkien's Signature.

Good choice.

~Jeremiah:banana:

5. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I personally think it would be cool to make up your own siganture like that but using your own initials

6. gwindor

gwindor ok i'm a n00b still

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a guideline to follow
    tengwar guide

there are a few tattoos on this page

some tattoos

this will help you see words in tengwar
    transcriber

i have seen a pic of tolkiens sig as an ankle tat.
    i cant seem to find the pic now though.

7. Miriel

Miriel My Preciousss

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    oh wow that's so helpful. Thanks gwindor

8. Taiba

Taiba The last Marag

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking for a long time about getting my nickname tattooed somewhere on my person in Tengwar script. I still might someday, if I ever again have money for new tattoos.

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    My tattoo is on my lower left calf, and looks exactly like my avatar.

10. aaron.j.cypher

aaron.j.cypher Aaron, King of the Flakes

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hi! From what I've heard i think that your tatoo idea is pretty cool.

11. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Well thanks. You plan on getting one yourself, aaron?

Hey! Your name's like mine! You know, the whole "firstname.middleinitial.lastname" thing. Cool!

12. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, if I was to get a tattoo, it'd probably be a symbol that relates to LOTR, or to Tolkien, or something. Ya know, maybe an elvish word, or the Tolkien signature, or something. Not sure.

13. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    If I may give a bit of advice on the getting of a tattoo...

-Make sure you know the subject matter well. This is not something you want as a fad...like a pierced ear. It will be there today. It will be there when you wake up tomorrow. Your tastes in culture, icons, interests and so forth can chage as easily as your tastes in food or anything else. When you wake up four years from now with that same image still on your body, will you still feel the same about it? This is the first and most important piece of advice I can give. It took me years to ultimately decide on a design I could live with for life.

-Make sure you get the tatto where you really want to get the tattoo. Don't get it somewhere just because it sounds hip to get it there. I personally got my tattoo (See avatar for design) on my lower left side of my leg, below the calf (calv...cav...whatever) muscle. I chose this spot because it didn't strike me as a particularly conspicuous area of my body. It could be easily hidden with a pair of pants or shown off with a pair of shorts. You will get into situations in your life where you think a tattoo may not be appropriate to show off, i.e., formal dress occasions, etc.

-Yes, you will feel pain. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.The part of your body you choose to get the tattoo on will determine the amount of pain you will feel, just as will your own tolerance for pain. My tattoo was what I would call "mild" on the pain meter, yet it's my one and only tattoo. If I had to compare the pain to something else, a sunburn that someone is scratching is a good comparison. Or, if you are a particularly hairy person on your arms or legs, picture this: A person takes tape to your hairy appendage, and then rips it off like a band-aid, tearing out hair. Now instead of that kind of pain...small...sharp...quick...being spread across the entire area of the size of a piece of tape, concentrate it to a needle point. Also, instead of the pain being almost immediately gone once the tape is gone, remember...that needle will be making contact for a long time. But the moment they lift it from your skin, the pain ceases. At least it did for me. It was nothing intolerable. Had the tattoo taken any longer, I stood a good chance of being comfortable enough to snooze. You get used to it. And every now and then the artist will stop drawing long enough to wipe...the liquid soaked cloth he/she wipes with for whatever reason feels ice cold on your skin. Whether it's due to the endorphins rushing to the area of the tattoo somehow reacting to the liquid, or perhaps the liquid is that cold...know this: it feels GOOOD. You'll want them to wipe more often.

-Check out the location (shop) that you are going to get the tattoo at. Scout your area thourghouly and be sure to feel comfortable with your choice of shops. Before you go in to get the acutal tattoo, stop in and ask plenty of questions. Good shops will be thrilled to settle your mind, because they want your business. Ask about procedures, ask to see equipment and samples of work. Ask about pricing options. When getting the tattoo, you should see your needle fresh in it's sealed package and it should be sterilized in an autoclave, which should turn key markings on the package a different color to prove they've been sterilized.

-FOLLOW AFTERCARE instructions, which should be provided after the completion of tattooing. http://www.newaddictiontattoos.com/aftercare.html

Ask me if you have any questions.

14. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some advice from me as a bearer of a Tolkien tattoo. If you don't know Tengwar (the writing style that Tolkien devised to write his languages in) then don't just go off and use something like the Tengwar transcriber thinking that, if the program says your name in Tengwar looks like this it must be ok! Don't. I know a thing or two about Tengwar and there are several things that a program like Tengwar Transcriber just can't take into account. ALWAYS check with someone who knows what they are talking about. You don't want to have this beautiful tattoo of "Mary and Mom and Hells Angels" or something like that in Tengwar and after a while have someone point out to you that there is a fault in it.

It's a good program though if you know what you're doing. I use it myself.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  15. aaron.j.cypher

aaron.j.cypher Aaron, King of the Flakes

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    i agree! it is cool... thats why i chose it!
    anyhoo, i was considering getting a tatoo myself, but allas, i decided not to. although i might in the future.
    but hay, where did you get the idea for the "firstname.middleinitial.lastname" thing?

16. Suikohero

Suikohero The Wanderer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ive been thinking about getting a LOTR related tattoo as my next tattoo. I already have a tattoo of black/grey 2 dragons facing eachother with a sword in the middle on my back. I was thinking of putting the map of middle earth as the background of those dragon and sword tattoo. I also have been thinking about using the Watchers of Gondor (stone statues that the fellowship pass through on the river in the first book) on my arms or chest. Im very open minded about any other ideas.. that elvish language thing inscribed on your skin sounds like a good idea, I might use that if i can come up with a good enough of a quote.

17. Galenas

Galenas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've always thought the white tree of gondor would be a great tatoo. Of course, it couldn't be white.....black would do it. It would have to be small, but not so small as to lose the detail. Now where would one put such a thing. Yikers....there's the dilema.

18. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

You could do just the outline of the tree, with no fill. It would then appear to be white. Not as fulfilling I know, if you want alot of ink. But something to consider.

19. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

Just be really careful that you get your grammer correct!!

20. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

Well the idea for my name comes from the fact that I belong to a network created by my roommate. This is the name I use to identify myself on the network. Something he came up with really, but I liked it and stuck with it. I likewise often use this name when playing multiplayer games, which is a weekly occurrence. Each Friday we have a local LAN party. You can check us out at www.QuolNetwork.com

Back to the topic...who else has ideas about tattoos?

Search tags for this page

jrr tolkien symbol tattoo

tolkien tattoo