Tolkien Related Tattoo

Discussion in 'Debates' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Hahaha. Odd noises? I don't think I made any odd noises. Just small chat with me/my friend/the tattoo artist. Though, I think the artist & my friend did most of the talking.

The first prick of the needle startled me, because I didn't know what to expect, and my leg jumped a bit. But then I knew, and had no more troubles.

2. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Okay people, here are some pictures of my sister's tattoos to get your heads around:

Warning: this is serious art and should not be considered for yourself without serious thought beforehand!

http://gallery.fantasyvault.net/showphoto.php?photo=926

Why are these Tolkein tattoos? I've been thinking hard and this is the best I can do ...

- Smaug was a dragon (hence the dragons);
    - my screen name (Aini) is the closest you can get in Quenya to a word for an angel (so the 'angel' tat is albeit tenuously connected); and
    - well, the butterfly is mine - it's there so you've seen all my artwork now. The best Tolkein connection I can do is that in 'The Hobbit' when Bilbo climbs the tree in Mirkwood to see where he and the dwarves are he sees butterflies (guess what I've just finished re-reading?!*)

As a PS to the ongoing 'does it really hurt' debate I have it on very good account from Amy, my hard as nails sister, that having the back of your neck tattooed does hurt ... a lot. Despite sitting through the belt with no problem she had to have a few breaks during having her neck done. Very few places will actually tattoo you here (Amy knows the artists very well) because of all the nerves etc. - it's basically where your brain stem joins the spinal cord so it's never going to be that pleasant!

So I hope you like the pics. Her dragons are one of a kind - designed for her and the original stencils have long since been destroyed. Original is how these things should be!

3. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I like them! Very very cool and unique. Tell your sis they kick ass.

The fact that they're so original and unique rocks too.

Cheers!

4. LadyLaurelin

LadyLaurelin Crazy 88 Member (#19)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    those are really awesome aini :D

5. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
  6. LadyLaurelin

LadyLaurelin Crazy 88 Member (#19)

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    those are pretty cool! :D thanks for the link!

7. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    i'd have to get the white tree on my fore-arm.
    i guess

8. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    No prob! I submitted mine to the site, even though it's not technically Tengwar. Perhaps they'll post it anyway.

9. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Not a bad idea. Though, it may be hard to make the tree "white" unless you do just the outline...and even then...if you're of darker skin complexion, who knows. But I like the idea!

10. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You can actually get white tattoo ink - it's just that not many places have it and it's not used very often on its own. Mostly it's just used to mix with other colours and as a highlighter (I had a bit added to the detail of the butterfly on my wrist). Tattoos fade in prolonged exposure to bright sunlight and so because white is such a 'delicate' colour I think that's why it's not used much.

Anyway, the white tree would be beautiful - intricate design!

11. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i am already doing a tat of elvish script using a name an indian dude called me and putting it into elvish and transcribing it into Black Speech tengwar (with the fire symbols used in the rings inscription as well) across my arm as a band, bordering it with a semi-celtic band inspired by elvish design.

~Curufeanor Aicarusse~

And all you needle-phobes shouldn't worry too much, tattooing doesn't hurt that much depending on where you get the tattoo. The arm and the top of the navel as well as the lower part of ur leg are generally pain-less.

12. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'll agree to this. As you'll see from my earlier posts, I got my tat on my lower leg...and it wasn't bad at all. I could've rested there quite comfortably for much longer. It hurt...I won't lie...but it was bearable.

At the same time, let's not give the wrong impression...pain is different for everyone. The artist that did me said I did quite well in comparison to himself. He hates having his legs done. It kills him.

13. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh right, pictures! I completely forgot about this thread until I went to inquire about the 2nd tattoo I want made. Look at page 2 (I think) to see what I'm talking about, the Balrog pic. I have done some modifications and it has a much more tribal feeling to it now. I have started to fill in the wings with tribals too but just for art, that's not going to make it into the tattoo; too much detail. I am currently in the process of deciding if the sword is going to be massive or a blaze of light in the shadow of the wings. The tattoo artist gave me an estimate on the price and some tips on how to make it into a better tattoo drawing and offered to help in case I got stuck. Great guy. In the mean time here are two pics of my tattoo as it is now. I need to get a digicam, I know.

Oh, and one more thing. I can't get the gallery to work for me. I logged in and couldn't find where to upload pics so then I went to profile and saw that my email wasn't correct so I changed that and got an email with a temporary password but now I can't log in at all. What's up with that?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  14. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Very, very cool, Tilion. Thanks for the pics!

15. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Very cool! Can't wait to see how the Balrog turns out - let us know!?*

16. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm rather interested to see how this Balrog turns out myself. Do you know how close you are to being ready for it?

17. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Not really close yet. I have a lot of different things and hobbies I am pursueing at the moment now so progress in all fields is a bit slow ;). So because of the making of maille armour and jewelry, skydiving when the weather allows, moderating a tolkien/fantasy forum and playing guitar/singing I haven't gotten a lot further then where I was. But luckily time's on my side. It might be somewhere this summer, or it might be next year but I'll get there eventually :). Taking a long time also ensures that I get exactly what I have in my head.

Here is the progress so far, scaled down a bit. On the left the abandoned art version with tribals only finished on one wing. After a while I wasn't satisfied with it at all so I enlarged it two times and have begun to make a more smooth one with less details nonetheless by partially retracing, partially making up different bits for pieces that can be better in my opinion. This is because it will be more in style with the smooth tengwar letters. I'll eventually make the wings more like the left wing on the left pic, without tribals but with some shading maybe. I've decided the sword will be solid, and like the scimitar from the movies.

If anyone has any comments on what could be better in their opinions I'll gladly read them.

Attached Files:

18. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Well I'm rather impressed with what I'm seeing so far. But it'll take me some studying to give any sort of opinion as far as suggestions go...if any even come to me. Meanwhile, keep up the good work, and I'll be looking forward to seeing people's suggestions on this piece too! Truely unique!

19. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Tilion, that's one impressive Balrog!

I really like the new torso that you've designed (the one one the right) - it's much simpler. Although I hope you'll consider keeping the nice scrolly bits where the Balrogs feet would be - they help the fluidity of the pattern.

When you're thinking of what to do with the wings maybe you shouldn't abandon the concept of patterning the wings completely. Cursive tengwar is exactly that - smooth and flowing. So maybe consider looking at the less intricate patterned parts at the bottom of the R wing in your left picture - the moving, open curls similar to those at the Balrogs feet. They're very elven and continuing a similar pattern may make the design less stark once finished than if you left the wings totally blank.

Remember: the balrog was darkness and flame - the torso provides the darkness flowing into the curls of flame round the balrogs feet. Consider continuing this theme into the wings to make them more flame-like?

Those are just some random thoughts - but I wish you much luck in finishing the design off. What you've done so far is awesome! Congrats!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  20. Aenónar

Aenónar Elf of Arda Tauréndor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If I would get a tatoo, it would absolutely be something elvish, Elvish vine design or something, just s armband together with a live in Tengwar, or if I would go with something big (for some wierd reason) then I would get elven vines all over my back :)

Search tags for this page

elven circle t for sale