Tolkien Related Tattoo

Discussion in 'Debates' started by jeremiah.l.burns, Oct 26, 2003.

1. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That would be awesome. I'd considered something similar myself.

2. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got the ringtekst a couple of years ago. The first two sentences on the upper part of my arm near my shoulder with the outsides extending as far as my chest on the front and my back on (you guessed it) the back. The second two sentences right around the middle of my upper arm. The lower is visible if I wear one of those tight, shortsleeved t-shirts.

In the future I am planning to put something in between, for example the Balrog from The Art of the Two Towers (see picture) but modified here and there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  3. mallomere

mallomere hedgerow wanderer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    no one wants evil mordor script on their bodies, we know that now. With all the translation abilities out there, no one need quote Mordor, unless that is the intention.

4. Isis

Isis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what about a picture of one of the swords? that'd be pretty neat. I'd love to have Narsil reformed (whatever its called when its reformed, i cant remember) up the side of my lower leg. that is, if i was ever brave enough to actually GET a tatoo.

5. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0

The sword is Narsil...the sword of King Elendil. It was broken into the shards, and reformed as Anduril, Flame of the West...sword of King Elessar.

If I may give a bit of advice on the getting of a tattoo...

-Make sure you know the subject matter well. This is not something you want as a fad...like a pierced ear. It will be there today. It will be there when you wake up tomorrow. Your tastes in culture, icons, interests and so forth can chage as easily as your tastes in food or anything else. When you wake up four years from now with that same image still on your body, will you still feel the same about it? This is the first and most important piece of advice I can give. It took me years to ultimately decide on a design I could live with for life.

-Make sure you get the tatto where you really want to get the tattoo. Don't get it somewhere just because it sounds hip to get it there. I personally got my tattoo (See avatar for design) on my lower left side of my leg, below the calf (calv...cav...whatever) muscle. I chose this spot because it didn't strike me as a particularly conspicuous area of my body. It could be easily hidden with a pair of pants or shown off with a pair of shorts. You will get into situations in your life where you think a tattoo may not be appropriate to show off, i.e., formal dress occasions, etc.

-Yes, you will feel pain. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.The part of your body you choose to get the tattoo on will determine the amount of pain you will feel, just as will your own tolerance for pain. My tattoo was what I would call "mild" on the pain meter, yet it's my one and only tattoo. If I had to compare the pain to something else, a sunburn that someone is scratching is a good comparison. Or, if you are a particularly hairy person on your arms or legs, picture this: A person takes tape to your hairy appendage, and then rips it off like a band-aid, tearing out hair. Now instead of that kind of pain...small...sharp...quick...being spread across the entire area of the size of a piece of tape, concentrate it to a needle point. Also, instead of the pain being almost immediately gone once the tape is gone, remember...that needle will be making contact for a long time. But the moment they lift it from your skin, the pain ceases. At least it did for me. It was nothing intolerable. Had the tattoo taken any longer, I stood a good chance of being comfortable enough to snooze. You get used to it. And every now and then the artist will stop drawing long enough to wipe...the liquid soaked cloth he/she wipes with for whatever reason feels ice cold on your skin. Whether it's due to the endorphins rushing to the area of the tattoo somehow reacting to the liquid, or perhaps the liquid is that cold...know this: it feels GOOOD. You'll want them to wipe more often.

-Check out the location (shop) that you are going to get the tattoo at. Scout your area thourghouly and be sure to feel comfortable with your choice of shops. Before you go in to get the acutal tattoo, stop in and ask plenty of questions. Good shops will be thrilled to settle your mind, because they want your business. Ask about procedures, ask to see equipment and samples of work. Ask about pricing options. When getting the tattoo, you should see your needle fresh in it's sealed package and it should be sterilized in an autoclave, which should turn key markings on the package a different color to prove they've been sterilized.

-FOLLOW AFTERCARE instructions, which should be provided after the completion of tattooing. http://www.newaddictiontattoos.com/aftercare.html

Ask me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2004
  6. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not? I know how to use Tengwar, but I went with the ringtext anyway. I don't feel it's bad luck to put the language of Mordor on my arm. Anyone who does must be very superstitious. Why then didn't I make up something for myself? Because I happen to like it. It's recognisable, and in more than one way tied up with the story of Lord of the Rings, which has done a lot for and to me.

7. gwindor

gwindor ok i'm a n00b still

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    post pics of the tattoos guys, we wanna see. :)

8. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'll try to get one of mine up asap.

9. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys!

I had my name in tengwar tattooed on the inside of my R wrist at the start of this year and it looks great!!!! Loads of people have been asking what language it is and saying that it's really pretty (although you have to be prepared to admit what the text is to people eho aren't big LoTR/fantasy fans and you do get some crazed looks!)

BUT
    If you're going to get any tattoo, especially in a v visible area like mine is be very sure it's what you want before you have it done AND be sure that the text says what it's supposed to. Before I had my tattoo done I had the text drawn on my wrist for a while to see if it actually was what I wanted and that I could cope with it. People do tend to fixate on visible tattoos!

be safe, be certain and be original!

10. Garko

Garko New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would get the picture of Isildur cutting the ring off of Sauron's hand.
    The same picture that is in FOTR in Rivendell (in front of the shards of Narsil).

It would be a entire back piece.

How do you like that one?? :fart:

11. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Much respect if you actually do it - back pieces take loads of sittings and I'm told hurt a lot! (Plus they cost £1000s)

My sister's got a whole belt of celtic dragons round her waist which is v cool

I'm off on Friday to have a new piece done at the base of my spine - it's an interweaving vine design that I've had specially done based on the elven vines on the handles of Legolas' multicoloured knives. I fear this one's going to hurt abit!

12. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That would be quite impressive, painful and expensive. I would really like to see that done. Great idea.

13. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Just back from having my new scrolly elven vine stylee tattoo (and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would)!

But, while I was having it done there was a bloke there with matching tattoos of 2 facing horse-heads in a celtic design on the backs of his shoulders - it looked kinda like the design on the hilt of Theoden's sword and looked really impressive. So another tolkein stylee idea for the list!

14. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Very very cool! I gotta get a pic of mine taken and posted....we all do.

15. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
  16. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Very cool! I particularly like the vine desing on the lower back. Very elegant.

17. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Okay. You've asked, here's mine.

[​IMG]

18. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Heeeey Jerry! Nice legs!

Great photo - the tat looks v cool - just about the right size for where it is and the design looks awesome. I bet loads of people really like it?

Thanks for showing it off - v impressed!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  19. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much! I like it. Didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. But I think location had alot to do with it.

Then again, the artist told me he HATES getting his legs done. Won't do it. Hurts too much. So...pfft...who knows?

20. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I bet the tattoo artist just didn't like wandering round for a couple of weeks with a little bald patch on his leg!

Still, it depends on the person as to how much it hurts. When I was having the butterfly put on my wrist (which was not a pleasant experience) there was a girl having har back done and she was in absolute agony ... so I was not a happy bunny when I was off to get mine done. But it really didn't hurt me v much at all.

My sister sat unmoving when she had her belt done and that's a big piece of work ... trying to get photos

Search tags for this page

elven circle t for sale