Tolkien Permission

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Tatharlin, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I'm writing a book based on Tolkien's LOTR and The Silmarillion. Does anyone know where or how I can get permission from Tolkien to publish?

Click Here to email me and I'll send you more information about my book, Teledhelwen.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  2. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, I don't think the Tolkien Estate will give permission. In fact, I haven't seen one book yet that has been written by another author based on Middle Earth and published.

The only way you can really successfully give access to the public would be to put it on the internet.

3. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Adding to what Radagast said: also, you can't make any profit by making it available to the public.

4. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    There was After the King though admittedly I'm not sure how official it was.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, never seen that. Looks like an interesting read, but I would agree that it probably isn't that official given the amazon description (emphasis added). Maybe I'll look into reading it one day...

6. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have a friend who's a writer and she mentioned that I should speak to a copy-write attorney. Anyone know one I can get in touch with by email? I'll probably have to look one up in the phone book.

My manuscript, Teledhelwen has a blog site. Visit http://teledhelwen.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2005
  7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can remember a bundle of stories based upon ME/Tolkien mythology. I just can't remember where I have seen it. It was made quite clear that they weren't intended to be taken up in JRR/chris's chronology, but merely nice stories in addition to Tolkiens work. I will report if I will see it again in the near future...

8. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Would any of you be ineterested in helping with the revison of Teledhelwen? I can email you the ten chapters and an evaluation. In thanks for your help, my revisors are listed in Teledhelwen's Acknowledgements! Email me if you're interested.

9. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    well i sent a request for permission and it was denied. *weeps*

10. drlloyd2

drlloyd2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    After the King was a collection of short stories that were written in honor of Tolkien and to varying degrees in his style, but they really had nothing to do with his creations.

Tolkien's estate will not give permission to use any of his names, characters, or places in a fictional work to anyone, period. They see it as their duty to protect his literary legacy (and they may have a point there...). The only reason various LotR/Hobbit movies and games could be made at all is because during Tolkien's lifetime he sold some of the non-print media rights because he needed a quick infusion of cash to pay off an overdue tax bill.

The Tolkiens will only give their blessings to scholarly, non-fiction analyses of JRR's work, and only to a very few of those.

There are, however, some legal loopholes for parodies. :)
    (Whistles, trying to look innocent)

11. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    No offence ment, but I didnt like it too well. It sounds fake, not to be mean, but mixing the real world and Middle Earth just dosent work, although I will admit if in the right hands (keep on writing, you will be the "right hands" someday!) it could work. Plus there were some unneeded parts.

I dont think Tolkien would have wanted that kind of language associated with his works. That is just unneccesary.

Oh, this too:
    The language ruins it.

I like the ending though, very good.

That is just some constructive criticsm from me, take it or leave it.

12. Marche2

Marche2 Master Assain/ninja

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah Tolkien wanted it to be a franchise that most can enjoy I guess, so he would probably dissaprove of that languge

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005