Tokyo Story

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Tamago, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Tokyo Story is a 1953 Japanese film directed by the famous Yasujiro Ozu. It tells the story of an old married couple that travels to Tokyo to visit their children, but it seems that their children have far less time for them than their parents might have had for them in the past.

I loved this pellicle. I've been intending to watch it for a long while now, but finally managed to do it a few days ago. I was mesmerised by Ozu's technique (it's the first movie directed by him that I watch, but I'm planning to explore his cinematographic horizon soon enough). I adored this movie for two very simple motives (though, of course, there are others out there, but in need of systematising, I'd stick with at least the two ones):

1) I wasn't distracted by anything else while watching it

I often have a hard time trying to watch something on my computer. I get distracted by a bunch of other things that happen or tend to happen on the internet. So, instead of watching something calmly, I just start pseudo multi tasking (checking notifications, checking site, news videos, texts and whatnot whilst actually watching a certain movie). I absolutely despise that, but I'll perhaps talk about it at another time. The thing is, this did not happen at all while watching Tokyo Monogatari. On the contrary, I was so drawn into the entire pellicle that I didn't even feel the time passing. I was extremely surprised to see that two hours have passed without me noticing it.

2) I adored the portrayal of simplicity drawn from life's complexity (in my case, a very Japanese way of viewing things)

I have a gist for Japanese cinematography. Though I have yet to properly explore it, most of my favourite cinematic experiences have been taken out of Japanese 20th century cinematography (Kobayashi's Ningen no joken, for instance, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, Madadayo and, well, now, Ozu's Tokyo Story). It's quite hard for me to explain the feeling I have while watching movies like these... I feel both complete and empty, entirely fascinated and belittled by the experience.

Has anyone watched it? Any thoughts about it?

2. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    wait hang on a second.. are you talking about the old 50's movie or a remake?

3. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    Well, I've no idea if there's any other film similar to this, but I am talking about Ozu's 1953 movie. I know my thoughts on the movie were rather scarce, but I do sometimes have problems in expressing my view on something that has impressed me so. And, at the end of the day, there are some things you just won't be able to talk about only because words would seem rather insufficient for what the piece actually represents (or something :eek:).