Time to admit it

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Kakashi, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    I and II were absolutely awful. Terrible. I watched part of one recently and I couldn't stop laughing. I can't think of one good thing about it.

III was decent, I guess, but can we seriously admit that I and II weren't?

2. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    well, call me a loyalist, but i liked them, they werent as good as 4-6, but they were still good

4. TheSleepingSorcerer

TheSleepingSorcerer Duke Of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They were at the very least decent, but then again I never saw 4-6 when they were new, actually I think I saw 1-3 before I saw 4-6 so I guess that could have affected my opinion. However I think 1 and 2 were alright, maybe not as good as 4-6, but not to far behind either:p

5. FirePhoenix

FirePhoenix Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I must be the only one who thinks that Phantom menace was the best Star wars movie. Liam Nesson is awesome! Personal I can't understand why everyone thinks that New hope is so good. They spend to much time on the death star, and when obi-van fought Darth Vader was so lame. You could clearly see that they weren't skilled in sword combat.

6. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    Are you guys serious? Go back and watch them. The storyline is lame, the characters are lame, the acting is lame, the action scene are overdone and fake and overall just dreadful. I really can't think of one good thing about it.

Why do the droids tell jokes? They're droids. Why does anakin say 'now this is pod-racing'? Why are a good majority of the characters wholly uninteresting and flat? Why does the entire gungan vs droid battle look like it was planned out by a three month old child? Why is there absolutely no coherent plot to the first movie? Why was anakin the chosen one? That is awful. Why does nothing in the movie make any sense? Why are the fighting scenes faker than a kung-fu movie? Seriously, no one gets hit by bullets when they should and the lightsaber scenes are poorly choreographed. There are so many times jedi could just slice each other but instead they do some flips. Why does Obi-wan let Anakin live? Doesn't he realize he's going to become a sith? Why is Padme attracted to Anakin when he's 12? Why does JAr jar binks even exist? And many more.

7. TheSleepingSorcerer

TheSleepingSorcerer Duke Of Shadows

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You are sort of right, but it all a matter of opinion anyway. I haven't even noticed most of the things you mentioned, and I'm still not bothered by most of them. But I guess I'm not the right guy to talk to, since I watched 1-3 before I watched 4-6, which means I saw them as a child and didn't see the faults, and now its to late. Although I might know now there are some problems in the movies I can easily ignore them and just enjoy the movies, which is actually a good thing:)

8. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Hell Woman

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    George Lucas is a rude boy that made a mess. Some of the clips of behind the scenes stuff from 1-3 is painful to watch.

9. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,142 / 5 / -0
    People often don't like the political content of the prequels, but I actually liked it. As for the fighting a high majority doesn't deny despite their hate for the prequels, that the fighting between Maul, Kenobi and Qui-Gon and the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan was just awesome. As for the story, it's a fantasy. Yes there are plotholes. It does have flaws, but it was difficult fitting everything in and make it match with the Old Trilogy. Thing is that the prequels have a more detailed story and mythology, while the story and mythology of the Old Trilogy is cliché and more obvious. It's predictable, but that can be forgiven. As for the acting and directing. I can keep going on defending it, doesn't change opinions. Lucas chose for an old style of acting and maybe it just didn't work out for other people as it felt awkward compared to modern films I guess. Directing, well Lucas is not a great director. I can admit that. He's a storyteller, editor... Not a director. He's not even a good writer at dialogue, he admits that himself.

The biggest question is why people still whine about the prequels even after the last film was released almost 8 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Hell Woman

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    Maybe Kakashi just discovered Red Letter Media?

11. Kakashi

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    No it was actually when my friends and i were watching them on tv. it was only my second time seeing them. i only found red letter media after looking up the 'now this is pod-racing clip'.
    god that is an awful line

12. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,709 / 0 / -1
    Time to admit it? I seriously doubt there was anyone who actually hated Episodes I and II and pretended to love them. If so, I never knew any.

I still love all three prequels.

13. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +429 / 1 / -1
    Episode 1 without Jar Jar would have been good and Episode 3 without the horribly acted anakin and padme would have been good.

14. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    yousa no likin the gungans?
    yousa all bombad

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
    yousa no likin the gungans?
    yousa all bombad

16. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I kinda agree :) but 3rd does not disturb me at all... Let's face it, Luke was horrible actor as well.. it runs in a family :D

and there's always Ep 2... which is the worst IMHO...

still I don't hate any of them.

17. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    The problem with EP2 is that its unmemorable - nothing really big seems to happen in it to make it stand out between film 1 and film 3. Of course the fact that EP2 is mostly an into building directly into the 3rd film (whereas the first was set as a single stand alone) increases this effect.

Big things happen in EP2 it just seems to get lost however.

I think Jarjar could have worked if he hadn't been so heavily twisted into a comical comic relief character - sadly it seems that the US has decided that there MUST be such a character, but lacks the restraint to make it a comical moment here and there and instead seems to try and go almost full Laural and Hardy style slapstick - which of course nearly always jars with the rest of whatever film its going into unless the rest of the film is pretty much Laural and Hardy style.

18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    yeah, and besides, Start wars the clone wars cover that gap quite extensively...

19. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1
    I just realised something for the first time -- through the whole of the Starwars EP1 we never ever hear the Gungans talking in Gungan. They have their version of "basic" that they speak, but at not point do they speak in a proper Gungan language (that I can recall). Even in the battle they are all speaking basic.

I think this actually worsens it for them as if they only spoke basic one would expect them to actually learn it without any of the odd mannerisms that they use when speaking basic. Instead they have what seem to be already learnt language structures which change how they think about language and thus how they interpret and speak basic - sadly we are never shown this.

20. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    actually I liked Terry Brooks' book more than a movie... there was more stuff and stuff was clearer somehow... I don't remeber about the Gungan language, though...