Thoughts on Boromir

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Dark Lion, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Dark Lion

Dark Lion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to discussion forums, so if this thread has already been posted and debated I'm sorry for starting another

My thoughts on Boromir is this: I feel he gets a bad rap. I know he tried to take the Ring, and that it was out of his own desire for glory. He wanted to return to Gondor the conquering hero. Boromir was the personification of the race of Men in many ways. But I feel his heart was good. He loved his city and its people, and he wanted to end Sauron's evil. Yes he was weak, his brother was the better man, but his motivation was overall just IMO. But I liked Boromir, he was a proud warrior with a strong sense of justice, I would have fought at his side.

Agree or disagree? Please share your thoughts...

2. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    I like Boromir too. As you say, he desired glory. He wanted to return the hero. Faramir was the better man. But I don't think glory was the only thing that made him do what he did.

Boromir was a Man, and men are the weakest race in Middle Earth, as the ring wraiths are examples of. I reckon the Ring is to blame, at least partially. It wasn't all glory.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  3. Dark Lion

Dark Lion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree totally. He was the perfect example of the race of Men, valiant yet easily corrupted . I liked Boromir, but yes Faramir was the better man in just about every way. But I didn't like how the movies portrayed either that much

4. DarkGriffo

DarkGriffo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Boromir is one of my favourite characters. Yes he made a mistake when he tried to take the ring, but he realised his mistake and wanted to make it up and brought Frodo time by risking his life, in the end he may have been defeated by Lurtz, but his intentions were good. Brave man, like previously stated, he loved his city and people, and was weak, but at times they are all tempted. Can't blame the guy. :)

5. trazzberry1

trazzberry1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Boromir is one of my favorite Men in the series, and certainly my favorite member of the Stewards' family. As previously stated by nearly everyone in the thread, he made a mistake by attempting to take the Ring, but in the end his intentions were just to use it for the greater good and the protection of Gondor. In the movies they portray him as kind of plotting the whole time, and make him seem like a douche, but in the books (wherein he is not killed by Lurtz, who doesn't exist in the books, but a whole slew of orc archers) he is a heroic and noble person. He and his brother and a few other soldiers fought on the bridge in Osgiliath until the bridge was literally destroyed underneath them, at which point he, Faramir, and the other two survivors of the fight swam the Anduin to reach the other side and continue the defense. Plus, even if he had been a douche in the books, he sacrificed himself for the Fellowship and that (in my opinion) more than makes up for his mistakes.

6. Forve

Forve New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    how exactly they made him look like a douche in movie? they showed exactly what he was. A noble and proud warrior, who might have been a great lad, but wasn't too "bright" unfortunately. He repents his wrongdoings and his death is one of the most tragic and noble ones in movie history, making everyone forget what wrongs he had done.

7. freedomtaken

freedomtaken Predominately Inept

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I thought they made the right choices in the movie regarding Boromir. And I always liked him. He had weaknesses with good motives. He was so open about everything at the start and then was corrupted to be reborn. So ttrite but so engrossing.

8. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -1
    Boromir was pretty cool and heroic.In many ways.The fact that the One Ring seduced him was probably due to his potential as a man and the endurance of his will and desire.We definetely have to take into consideration that he was one of the few in the Fellowship that actually knew and felt the danger that Gondor was in and perhaps that contributed to him becoming more easily seduced by the Ring,seeking its Power.

Even if Aragorn or Gandalf got the Ring,eventually they too would become corrupt.But in the end Boromir redeemed himself,trying to protect the hobbits and fighting bravely to the death against the orcs.

9. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    His sacrifice was the redemption to his weakness. Boromir wanted the Ring cause his father sent him to take it. Although he realized at the end that his father was wrong and the truth was to protect the ring bearer. Even Lady Galadriel seduced by the Ring. Was normal to be weak when he was tested. What it matters is the end. In the end he fought to the death alone to protect the hobbits his fellowship. He sacrificed for them. And if love is a great power then sacrifice is the ultimate love. Cause you sacrifice yourself only when you love something or someone... At the end Boromir called Aragorn King... He accepted him as his King. And this is really important cause he knew that Aragorn was his enemy in the throne of Gondor. Boromir is a hero with weakness and great gifts is a hero of professor Tolkien! And this make him extraordinary!

10. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The Necromancer has returned!!!

I believe that Boromir was simply driven by his own ambition, which was accentuated by the power of the Ring over him. The Ring knew that he wanted to be a great hero and wanted to please his father, and it exploited this aspect of his personality.

He is a redeeming hero as he shows his valour by protecting the Hobbits with his own life and is clearly shown to try to repent. He was a rather arrogant character as well, which is why the Ring can take hold of him, as it would make him seem better than others and proposes the power of the Ring without him knowing that he's being tricked (without even knowing that the Ring is doing this).