This is really making me furious:

Discussion in 'Movies' started by x_storm_x, Nov 16, 2003.

1. x_storm_x

x_storm_x Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    even more so when I read the article on theonering.net. All the commericalism that has been brought to Tolkien's books, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. It's all because of the movies. little action figures and things like that are one thing, but backpacks and swords and jewlrey are completely something else. I heard they were even making LOTR toys for Happy Meals, they might have already done it, but I'm not sure. It just frustrates me that Tolkien's books are not appreciated for what they really are anymore. They aren't known as pieces of art as they are to me, and other people, but now they are referred to, as "hey,the hot dude legolas is in those, right?". It is so frigging frustrating. I cannot even imagine what it is like for the Tolkien family. :littlethi

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you in a way. While the movies have introduced thousands of new fans who do appreciate Tolkien for who he was and what his writings are, it does seem that it has been overly commercialized. I get tired of people jst commenting on how cute Legolas is or blah, blah, blah. I mean, the movies are great, but they don't compare to the books and it is frustrating that some people don't appreciate it properly.

3. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I agree the books are way better, you do need a good adventurous mind when reading the book, but to me thats the best part about the book, visualizing all of the different aspects of the book, eg characters,monsters, clothing weaponry etc etc. People may have seen the movie, but if you hav'nt read the book you dont know what you are missing. Reading Tolkiens books sends your mind on a journey. The movies miss alot of the spirit of his writings. Dont get me wrong, I still love the visual feast PJ & team have created, but it's the book that got me hooked in the first place.

4. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's what I've been thinking from the start... I read the books the first time years before I heared they were making the movies. When FotR came out, there were dozens and dozens of "fans" who bought everything they could. But when I said something about the storyline, they didn't know what I was talking about. The only thing they knew was, like Lady said, that Legolas is cute, and Arwen's a hot chick... And then buying all the stuff and telling everyone they're the biggest fan on earth... :rolleyes:

5. will

will New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the thousand years of history and all the background stories and characters are so important to the story and it's something tha Tolkien cared much for....but the movie goers only remember a swordfight or a specific weapon they felt was "cool"....it;s getting all commercial but i dont feel we can blaim PJ because he just cares about the story-telling and Tolkiens fantasy.... there is so much more behind this story but people just dont see it...

6. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess it's kinda logical. I mean: what do they know? NOTHING
    The reason WE are fans of Tolkien is because the essence of the books, of midle-earth has touched us in a way that cannot be put into any movie whatsoever, no matter how good it is or who makes it. The movie-only fans haven't experienced that feeling so they look for other things: like that 'blonde elf-guy in those hot pants'
    or even worse : 'that sexy babe arwen'. that was the reason I was opposed to the movies in the first place, because this is what happens if you go commercial on things like LoTR.
    Now I don't want to raise the suspection that I hate the movies. On the contrary: I think they are very good in their own right but I look at them as nice stories on their own rather than the filming of Tolkiens work. I mean, middle-earth was so much more than a little guy called Frodo or bigger bad shaven men called Aragorn. like I said: it was the whole feeling of middle-earth that has touched me and not the story alone. that's why I would prefer the Silmarillion over LoTR.

just my two cents....

p.s. it is certainly not my intent to flame all the movie fans over here
    I am just trieing to explain why I think that Book fans and movie fans are two
    seperate groups.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2003
  7. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I had'nt even heard of tolkien before the movies came out. O few months after FOTR came out I saw it an dthat jumped started my whole deal, before TTT came out I had already read the entire Trilogy and Hobbit twice, then I read the silmarillion, then unfineshed tale. And now I have rad ROTK again before I see the movie( so I'll everything they did wrong hahahah) and I am into the silmarillion again. So you see their some people he dicovered the books from the movies, I am one.

8. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    P.S. I like the action figures and the swords, but to H E double lockey sticks with all the other stuff, jewerly playing cards trading cards, and professionlly manufactured costumes.

9. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I do hope you liked the rest of my story.............

10. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    rest of what story.............?

11. ATAK

ATAK New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here's my take on the whole movie making philosophy. I think we can all agree that the books are almost 100% of the time better than the movie adaptations we see on screen.

Movie making services two groups of people, those who don't have time to read, and those who can't/won't. For these people, all the reference they have IS the movie and they can't grasp the entire essence of what the author intended. They rely on the director and actors to bring the "meat" of the story to them. Unfortunately, the ones who have previously read the written work are frustrated that they, who have spent days and weeks reading the work, have to hear a shallow opinion of the work from someone who hasn't read it.

Movie making from a business standpoint is all about the $$. Therefore, since we live in a capitalist society, there will always be t-shirts, coffee mugs, keychains, mouse pads and every other concievable trinket and toy to market whatever movie or story is being told. This is the way of things, and though sometimes it can detract from the value of the original work, those who hold the work in great esteem will never let it devaluate in thier eyes. These people are the ones who let the story live. Long after the awards shows and the accolades, the "real" fans will still be here, discussing the written word. Therein lies the real value of the book.
    In my opinion...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I half agree with you because you have to think about it. If it wasn' t for the lotr movies some people might have not even heard of the lotr. I think that the movies introduces the work of tokien thus futhering the reading potential of others/ opening up a the world of reading to people who didn't even bother to pick up a book in the first place.

-dt

13. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    besides it makes people happy. People have there own personal opinions on different things, such as myself and the opinion that im going to have to say the i like the swords and the jewlry and all the other crap they send out. By buying a LOTR sword it made me want to read the Simarillion because it had an Elvin insription on it about Turgon. :eatshit:

-dt

14. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmmm...sorry, I was talking about something in another thread apparently.
    please excuse me, it's three hours after midnight here, I am tired and not entirely sober so
    I make misstakes.

I'll go to bed :D

15. Mavurik

Mavurik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and so what? Why are you bothered that more people are reading LotR? How selfish are you? If the movies can introduce more fans to the books then God Bless Peter Jackson's movies. Now more people will experience the magic of reading Tolkien's works and I can hardly call that a bad thing.

Funny how people like to judge and assume things. How do you know that people are not appreciating Tolkien's books for what they really are? You don't know that. You just assume that. How do you know that one day these people that have become fans of the movie won't one day sit down and decide to read the trilogy and become completely captivated by it, and maybe even a BIGGER fan than you? Stop judging people.

16. Mavurik

Mavurik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those people are foolish. How can they expect a book as massive as the Lord of the Rings to be made into a movie with every detail retained? They went in expecting too much, ready to pick and prod instead of enjoy and got what they deserved. They'll never be satisfied and they can't really critisize PJ because I doubt any of his critics could produce a movie trilogy half as good.

I agree with you on this and I agree with your last few sentences. Nicely written.

17. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I suggest you keep it down a little. don't talk of judging people when you are talking of others being selfish in the first few lines of your reply. I know you didn't actually say that he WAS
    but things will not get better if you put it the way you did. please drop the offensive attitude.

I do, however, think you've got a point. It can only be considered a good thing that people
    get to know middle-earth. On the other hand I think Storm has a point in saying that the best way to do that is reading the books (in order to really get to know the characters). Tolkien's work is truly magnificent, you must agree with me on that. And if you go see the movies, got interested in middle-earth and read the books or simply go to the movies enjoy the films but leave it for what it is than that's fine. Storm means, and I wholeheartedly agree with him on that it's a shame that some movie fans will always refer to Tolkiens livework (which, in some cases even have bible-like statusses) as ''the movie with the hot elvenguy''. I think that's a shame, not for me, not for storm but for those people themselves because they do not appreciate Tolkiens work for what it truly is.

18. will

will New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    But still, the book and the movie are totally different things and the fact is that what tolkien did was write a d*mn brilliant story...and I think that is represented in the movies as well and it pays respect to tolkiens world.

19. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree on that.

20. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    apart from some things, PJ did a good job with the movies and he shows respect to Tolkiens work in every way.
    It's not the movies some people here are really bothered with: but rather the way some (not all, mind you) movie-fans look at Tolkiens work. Namely ''the hot elvenguy film''.
    I can understand a die hard book fan doesn't like that point of view(I am one of them)