This Is My Complaint!!!

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by mynameis, Feb 3, 2004.

1. mynameis

mynameis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    We must all agree to something ( and if you don't it's ok), something that me personally makes me sad.UC makes great swords i have to admit but i have to make my stand: All of the swords are so perfect. You see it and doesn't have anything real on it.I mean at least they should make them a bit rusty-like or put some finish that makes it look used or something. I guess that happens cause we live in 2004 which everything have to look modern and perfect as technology is. Think about it, years and years before when people were riding horses and fighting with swords: even the greatest swordsmith could never make a sword so perfect in sight and shiny and blablabla...He could make a perfect balanced weapon and all but not perfect in sight.So UC could make an effort create swords that look more real (and i mean not battel-ready, just more down to earth in sight). Again it is beautiful to look something that looks perfect but this doesn't make it real at all. I am happy that even though my non UC Narsil is not so close to the movie prop at least it looks like used in a battle (except the blade) as the one that it is in a picture that someone posted in this forum before. I don't like The witchking sword but at least it looks more real than all the other LOTR swords.

Just saying what i believe!!!

2. iggyp

iggyp New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, some of the items, like the Ringwraith Sword and the Uruk-Hai scimitar are distressed.

Really though, distressing a sword is free. So you can buy it and take it out and rub it in the dirt and attack trees with it and whatnot and it'll look authentic for you.

3. Auedawen

Auedawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yea, i personally wouldn't buy a sword full of nicks and blemishes and such. Besides, the swords for sale thus far have all been magical to the point that they don't get nicks and such, with the exception of Strider's sword. The only other is the Uruk-Hai and that one is left underground to rush for a while (a month or something similar).

4. j_ertl22

j_ertl22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's a matter of preference, but I totally disagree. I don't want to pay $200 and up for a sword that doesn't look good. If it doesn't function, what is its purpose? To look good on the wall. If the blade has knicks and scratches, it isn't appealing to me. If you want a realistic sword, buy a functional piece. They'll be much much more expensive though.
    I am not disrespection your opinion, I just want to tell you how I feel about it. Like I said, it's a matter of preference. If you like beat up swords, get 'em.

5. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Or, you could buy some new ones, send them to me to beat up (I'll be happy to help) and then get them shipped back.

6. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Well, one of the issues is mass production. If all the swords were forged they wouldn't seem so perfect. At least none of my sword's blades look perfectly cut out of steel (which they weren't). Another is rusting. Rusting deteriorates blades and they considered using carbon steel for the ringwraith swords but decided most customers wouldn't want a real rusting sword on their hands. However, they did do this with the uruk-hai sword.

7. Fourpaws

Fourpaws Wielder of Slack

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What looks "real" is in the eye of the beholder.
    When I hold it, there is no doubt of its "realness".
    Besides, who wants a sword that looks like it was purchased at a junk yard or salvage claim store and pay new prices for it?
    I like mine shiny and nice and new.

8. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    lol, besides as someone earlier stated a beat up sword wouldn't look as good on the wall...Personally I don't like the battle-worn idea (to me it's only slightly acceptable if swords were battle-ready).

9. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you look at Fotr: EE in the appendices section on the Weta Workshop, you'll see that all the lotr swords have bright, shiny blades with no nicks or pits. In fact, the prop swords are shinier than the UC replicas, although they did manage to artificially age the leather on the handles somewhat. The swords produced by swordsmiths of old would look pristine when first assembled, and only with age and use would they begin to look worn. If you really want to make your sword look old, you could check out kropserkel.com and find out how they aged their ringwraith sword (assuming you want rust on yours).

10. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very good point Auedawen.

And I also wouldn't want a fakely used/distressed sword. When spending so much money for a display item, I want it to look good on the wall.

11. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [/QUOTE]Really though, distressing a sword is free. So you can buy it and take it out and rub it in the dirt and attack trees with it and whatnot and it'll look authentic for you.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with Iggyp here. Dude, if you want your swords all freakin beat to hell, then just go out side and find a good tree and and show it who's boss. In no time at all you'll have yourself a finely custamized sword!
    And the rest of us can have the peace of mind of knowing that our's will still come from UC looking like peices of art.