They go to Valinor, but do they die?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Lady_of_Shalott, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I found these quotes on another site.

Frodo was sent or allowed to pass over Sea to heal him - if that could be done, before he died. He would have eventually to 'pass away': no mortal could, or can, abide for ever on earth, or within Time. So he went both to a purgatory and to a reward, for a while: a period of reflection and peace and a gaining of a truer understanding of his position in littleness and in greatness, spent still in Time amid the natural beauty of 'Arda Unmarred', the Earth unspoiled by evil.
    Letters no.246

... the mythical idea underlying is that for mortals, since their 'kind' can not be changed for ever, this is strictly only a temporary reward: a healing and redress of suffering. They cannot abide for ever, and though they cannot return to mortal earth, they can and will 'die' - of free will, and leave the world.
    Letters no.154

2. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think it is in UT, but it states in one of the tales of numenor that the people of Valinor are not undying because of where they live, rather that Valinor is the Undieng land because of the people who live there. Basically, the Gods and the Elves are gonna live forever no matter where the reside. It just happens that a bunch of them live in Valinor.

3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Good quotes Nik. I shoulda read them before I posted.

4. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Thanx. :)

s'ok. I always like to hear your opinions. *bites tongue to keep from laughing* :p

5. Operc Etcagatal

Operc Etcagatal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    In the movies, they die, because in the extendid edition, the director says that the part where gandalf tells Pippin what you see when you die, was linked to the ship, and there they see the same, and not just that, in part 2 gandalf says: I was send back, untill my task is complete, and well, after sauron is defeated it is obvious to me that he must die, because he would have died after that fight with the balrog, anyway this is how I see it :D

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    In the book, Frodo did not die. He sailed west because the Ring was destroyed, mostly because he couldn't live in ME anymore and needed to be healed. I'll do some research on this later.

7. Galadriel71

Galadriel71 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I believe that Tolkien had the Idea that the LANDS were undying, saying, that no Evil could reach those lands. But in my opinion why go to Undying Lands . . . .if you're going to die?

Search tags for this page

did frodo die in valinor