Theodred's Sword is.....Eowyn's Sword??

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Anduin, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I was watching the TTT Extended Edition and I noticed in the scene of Theodered's funeral that the sword he is being buried with looks strangely like Eowyn's sword. Although it is difficult, actually nearly impossible to say whether it is or not considering you can't see the hilt, but if you look closely at the part right before Eowyn begins to sing where they turn to carry him into the tomb you can see that the blade suddenly curves and widens out where the cross guard is just like Eowyn's sword. Using the zoom feature on the DVD you can kinda see the horses that form the cross guard and they kinda look the the ones on Eowyn's sword also. I could be completely wrong as most of the Rohirrim swords are so close in likeness and I guess it doesn't really matter but I just thought I'd mention it. Check it out though and see what you think.
    Cheers! :draught:
    P.S. sorry I don't have pics but I couldn't find any of that particular part of the scene.

2. Thorin

Thorin Avatar of Darkness

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Im sure they are very similar... if you look at the three Rohan swords on the BBB... they all look very similar with the Horse motif. Each hae horses but are slightly different in the hilt. Im sure that it was very similar... but infact may have been completely different.

3. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The reason why they look the same is because Eowyn and Eomor are cousins of Theodred. and apperintly all the high people in Rohan have the same style of swords. Also if you have seen thhe movies the gondorian swords look the same and like gandalfs swrod becasue his is a gondorian sword also

4. Feanor

Feanor New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A little of topic, but Gandalf's sword was made in Gondolin not Gondor. It is an elven-made sword not a human-made sword, but you are my grandson and I will forgive you. lol

5. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    He may have been referring to Gandalf's riding sword, Feanor.

I don't have a zoom on my DVD, but I think Théodred's sword is double fullered (like Guthwine and Herugrim), as opposed to Éowyn's single fullered blade.

6. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +198 / 1 / -0
    Would it be in the Extended Edition still photo galleries? I'd look but my DVD is packed away in a box somewhere (moving house soon!). Could someone search those galleries and maybe do a screencap if it's in there?

7. Feanor

Feanor New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    your right Gud I wasnt thinking of his riding sword. Celebrimor if that is what you ment sorry for the reply

8. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I checked Theodred's gallery, which consists of only one page, and there is no sword to be seen.

9. Anduin

Anduin Numenorean

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It is really difficult to tell because that scene is the only place where Theodred is shown with a sword so you really have to look close. Like I said I could be completely wrong but I think it does kinda look like that may be Eowyn's sword being used but maybe his does just look a lot like her's. But still, while many of the Rohan blades are a lot alike, there are still some distinguishable differences amongst them and this one from what I can tell, has none. What I am marking it by the most is the blade shape where it has the widening curve by the cross guard. None of the other Rohan blades shown in the movies have this. Who knows, but this is where I'm looking on the sword most.
    [​IMG] :gbounce:
    No worries though at any rate! Don't want you guys to think I'm obsessed with it or anything! Have a good one!

10. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    feanor its ok but i wasn't refering to that and now i am confused lol but its ok grandpa

11. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Eowyns sword dissolved in the WK's head and I am sure that eowyn did not have the same sword as theodred, but, this is a little off topic but its ok. Gandalf's riding sword is not gondorian. It is Numenorian. If you have the weapons and warfare book, look in the begining in the rings of power section and look at the picture where it shows all nine kings the very first one, look at his sword, it is EXACTLY THE SAME as gandalfs riding sword. I heard a rumor that this first king in the pic is the witch king and that Gandalf took his sword, nowhere in any of the books do I remeber reading this but, it is the same sword.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2004
  12. Aranon

Aranon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  13. Aranon

Aranon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  14. KamSiNny

KamSiNny New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Butterfly McQueen was born on Jan. 8, 1911 in Tampa , FL. She was best known for her role as Prissy in Gone With the Wind. She retired from acting in 1947 and she was an atheist.

Search tags for this page

rohan fullered sword