The Worst Book You Ever Read

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Grey Enigma, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Grey Enigma

Grey Enigma Falling Sideways

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, here's a place to put all those stinkers that you've read(or have tried to read). Books that you have tried to get through and gave up are allowable too, but you have to tell everyone why you gave up on them. Mine is:

The Three Musketeers. I was thoroughly disgusted with this book. It's going along great, all kinds of adventures and everything, and then the main character goes brain dead and messes everything up! I'm not going into details, but it was highly disappointing to me.

2. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    The worst book I ever read was "War and Peace". It's awful! The characters are just STUPID! They seem OK at first, but then they go and do something that completely screws them up! And the ending! Ack!! Horrible! Why is this considered a great classic? I was ready to quit reading about halfway through, but I stuck with it hoping it would somehow improve. My advice: DO NOT EVEN TOUCH IT if you wish to remain sane. I felt completely cheated after reading it.

3. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I've read all sorts of rubbish, but the first book I think of when someone asks a question like this is Balzac's 'Father Goriot'. Absolutely disgusting, totally brain-numbing and pretty pointless, too. But maybe it's just me. I've never heard of a good Balzac book though. Will say thanks to the person who can recommend me one.

Grey Enigma, I remember liking 'The Musketeers' as a kid. Haven't read it lately, however. I remember that the story-line was pretty naive and the characters were somewhat two-dimensional, but what do you mean by one of the characters going brain-dead? Who and in what way?

4. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Farheint 451. Crazy book. Pretty boring though.

5. Grey Enigma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    *Very Minor Spoilers for The Three Musketeers*

D'Artagnan. I suppose the two-dimensional characters bothered me for a bit, but not while they were being reasonably intelligent. This idiot KNEW that Milady was bad news, he KNEW it, but he still got involved with her. Aaauuugghh! How stupid can you be?! Bleh!

6. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The worst book I ever was forced to read was "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Eight hundred pages of someones philosophy that I didn't agree with. The characters are all shallow or irritating, especially the protagonist of the book. He's arrogant and dumb all at the same time.

7. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind:

Terrible book. Its the eighth book of the Sword of Truth series, and the protagonist and friends don't even appear until the last 15 pages. Its about some girl who is being hunted, and she hids with her goat Betty. Absolutely terrible, it hurt the series alot. The other books were good and entertaining, but this is an insult.

8. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Great Expectations. I know many people who love it, but I personally think it is the most boring and dry book ever published, barring the phone book.

9. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I didn't like it either. It probably didn't help that I had to read it for school, too.

I really didn't like Alice in Wonderland. I know there's supposedly some "deeper meaning" to it, but I didn't get it. The only advantage is that it's a good example of a stoned drunk's wacko dream.

10. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I thought that was the only meaning to it. :eek:

11. frodogurl49

frodogurl49 Jedi Sabermistress

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I saw the movie for farheint 451, and it was interesting. but i never read the book. I have tried to read several Stephen King Novels, but they are too boring for me. he has way too much detail and other c**p. I did read his storm of the century screen play though and that was good. I just wish he could have written his others like that.

12. Grey Enigma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, I LOVE Alice in Wonderland! Althoough I like Through the Looking Glass more. Hunh! Incredibly creative stuff, absolutely insane, makes sense in a way that can't be articulated, just has to be FELT. Okay, maybe I'm just revealing my freakish nature. I like madness with method to it and those books are full of methodical madness.

13. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Actually, I've found that the world makes a lot more sense if you follow the rules and etiquette that apply in the Wonderland and behind the looking-glass :).

14. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Mind explaining that "method" to those who didn't see it?

15. Grey Enigma

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would love to. It operates on the same level as dreams, as nightmares, as paradoxes, and juxtapositions. It swims with birds and flies with fishes. It's as deep as the sky and as broad as a needle. And if that doesn't make sense, then there is no hope for you. ;D I can't explain it, it just makes sense.

16. Arin

Arin I bite back....

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The most horrible book i read...i don't remember the tital...but after i was done i threw it across the beach. It's the kind of book that stopped when it should have kept going, you don't know if the main characters are dead or alive. The kind of book that should be against the law.

17. waenlotien

waenlotien Healer/ Magicuser

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I absolutely hated The Wheels of Time series. I couldn't even force myself to finish reading book one. To me it was dry and unkempt. I finally used the book as fire starter in my fireplace.

18. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    A very severe crime in my opinion:p ;)

19. RivenBorn

RivenBorn Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually I never read something I hated. I just never remember the ones I read in school insept for the ones I enjoyed. I gues it depends. I have to say the book that was hard to get into was Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis but I enjoyed the book though. I can't think of one that I hated.

20. Arin

Arin I bite back....

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oh my gosh! I cannot belive you!!! :eek: