The Wonder Workers OOC

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by wanderingmagus, Jul 18, 2011.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    Starting a new game, if that's ok. (at least I hope it is, place hasn't been active for a long time! :()

Kinda weird mix, but saw a version of this type of rpg somewhere else. Basically, people rp individual characters in a town, and we all help build the town's tech and stuff from bottom up. Somebody should probably make lists as we start building, and I could maybe draw a map or something of the area as we build and find resources.

This could end however people want it to, but from the title I think everyone can kinda see the scifi/tech thing I would kinda like.

Setting is at the beginning of the Rennaissance, in one of the northern city-states that comprise what will someday be Germany. The town is on a river between a mountain and a lake, with a mine and several tribes nearby. The local knight holds a fortress near some ancient Roman ruins by the lake. The river splits, with one part going southeast and the other flowing straight east into the lake, with its mouth turning into a swamp. Locals avoid the place, and there are rumors of strange lights there.

The mine supplies the local Metallurgist's guild with plenty of coal and iron.

Post characters as you like them, physical description, some background, skills, weaknesses, quirks, goals in life, stuff they already built, etc. I'll get a character description up sometime today or tomorrow as an example.

2. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    a few visuals:

Map of surrounding area
    [​IMG]

Map of town
    [​IMG]

3. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +636 / 1 / -1
    Character sketch:

[​IMG]
    Name: Hephaestus

Guild Ties: Ancestral head of the Metallurgist's Guild, member of the Trader's Guild

Short Biography:
    His family originally worked for the ancient Greeks as metallurgists, and when the Romans took over they helped cast the Colossus of Rhodes. Sometime during the expansion of the Roman Empire in the latter days of its reign, the family was given land in what is now the Northern Germanic area to mine for minerals and supply the armies with swords and shields. After Rome's fall, the family retained control of the mine, and their descendents founded the Metallurgist's Guild as a means of preserving the family heritage.
    Hephaestus is the latest in the line of Guild heads, but unlike his predecessors is interested in more than just preservation of skill; he has researched intensely in his familial archives and found wonders which would otherwise have been left unknown for centuries.
    One of the wonders was a device built by one of his most famous ancestors, an engine which utilized the power of steam to turn. Other wonders included a forge which could melt nearly any metal and a suit of fire-resistant armor, called "Vulcan's Forge" and "Vulcan's Apron" respectively. He has just begun inventing ways to utilize these amazing wonders, and has managed to forge a working steam locomotive vehicle to pull trains of mine carts from his family mine. He is well acquainted with the local knight, Sir Grale, and often works both day and night to satisfy orders for armor while crafting more wonders.

Material Possessions: Vulcan's Forge, Vulcan's Apron, a steam engine, familial estate, familial mine

Abilities: forge nearly any alloy or metal, invent wonders, has access to Sir Grale and the town Archives.

Additional Information: has an apprentice

Sub-character:

Mitch "Coal-Boy" Faraday

Guild Ties: In Metallurgist's Guild Apprenticeship Program

Short Biography:
    As the bastard son of a farm-girl and a merchant, he was rejected and thrown out on the streets at birth. Growing up with rat catchers as surrogate parents, he learned to be innovative and observant as a means of survival. Several years ago he was found and adopted by Hephaestus, eventually managing to reintegrate himself into civil society. He now works as an apprentice to Hephaestus, but is more interested in staring at thunder storms and making sparks in his corner of the room than building steam engines or forging metal. His master sees this more as a good thing than anything else, and hopes that sometime soon the young man might be able to invent some wonder of his own.

Material Possessions: flint and steel, a lodestone, some copper embroidery threads, a few empty glass bottles, an apprenticeship card, clothes, a blanket, a notebook, an abacus, a book on weather given to him from Hephaestus.

Abilities: do chores, catch rats, do a magic trick involving making a lodestone move on its own

Additional Information: none

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011