The Witchking with his mace! New pic.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Witchking, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Armot' Ki

Armot' Ki New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Brand spankin' newbie here, though i had a thought after reading through this specific topic. May be an interesting perspective...maybe not (you can stone me if not..*cowers*)
    Between the mace that Sauron had, and the Flail that the Witchking held, did the older writings of the 'Hammer of the underworld' which Morgoth welded ever pop into anyone's mind?

2. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I will shell out for a Sauron's mace and Witchking's flail. They rule. I would also gig some orc weapons, like Grishnakh's (sp?) nasty dagger, etc.

Anyway. Sauron's and WK's weapons are on the top of my wishe list!

3. q-tip

q-tip New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Armot' Ki - i think you mean Grond, Morgoth's weapon after which the battering ram was named. I would love to see this made, but since it wasn't in the movies, they probably won't make it :(

4. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Kit rae has been talking about making silm weapons I believe. So it is possible.

5. Elladan

Elladan Son of Elrond

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Grond couldn't be made at all, it was as big as the battering ram named after it. It was huge, because Morgoth was huge- as tall as a tower.

6. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    But was Morgoth that big, or was that an embellishment? Seems to me that is was. Sauron could be called "tall as a tower" because he stood over twice as tall as a man.

And I doubt his mace was as large as the battering ram Grond... that's way to large.

7. NCO MOS18B

NCO MOS18B Better than you.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Morgoth was that big, and yes, Mace-Grond was at least as big as Ram-Grond.

8. NateDogg2

NateDogg2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with Kit. Sauron's mace is one of the most impressive pieces from LOTR films. I can't wait to get one. I also want to say how envious I am that you get to see pieces like that before everyone else. :p

9. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it was nearly that large. Large yes, in "The Ruin of Belerian" it was described as leaving pits in the ground when Fingolfin was in combat with him, but it could not have been as big as the battering ram because there's no way you can just "leap aside" a mace that large.

And Morgoth was injured 7 times by Fingolfin, so if he was as large as some people have said he is, then all seven wounds would be to his big toe.

Not to mention once Morgoth had defeated the Elven king, he killed him by placing his foot on his neck and crushing it. Once again, a being of a few hundred feet tall would have a foot larger than Fingolfin's whole body.

So really i think Morgoth was probably twice as tall as sauron, with a mace nearly as big as himself. But as for having a mace some 150 feet long... I don't think so.

10. Flame_of_the_West

Flame_of_the_West New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If I recall correctly the main reason they changed is was because he looked almost exactly like Sauron did, and that would have lessened the impact since it was a design that was seen before.

11. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Now that I read a lot of these posts, it's kinda funny how everyone wanted to Burn PJ for sacrilege for creating such a huge flail, then after seeing it in the movie everyone wants to buy it! Of course the movie one looks about half the size of the one in the picture.

12. Armot' Ki

Armot' Ki New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input Justice. I enjoyed your thoughts.

Anyway, that was just what had popped into my head. Interesting to think the piece was refordged and held by the hand of Sauron, though it would have been larger, your correct. These are just my lame thoughts however. *L*

13. Armot' Ki

Armot' Ki New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, thats it. Thank you. :)