The Wheel of Time Series

Discussion in 'Wheel of Time' started by Sibbsy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Sibbsy

Sibbsy FantasyBookReview.co.uk

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I have read a lot of fantasy books and am always looking for new authors. Although Robert Jordan's early books get fantastic reviews, the reviews become scathing about the later books.

What I would like to know is if I start reading the series, where should I read up to and if the later additions are so poor is it really worth starting at all?

2. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    eye of the world is an excellent book on its own. if you feel skeptical about the series, i recommend very much you at least read the first book. 99% chance you will enjoy it.

3. Dragon Song

Dragon Song The Soul Reaper

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Well I have only just finnished Book 4, The Shadow Rising, but my sister and brother in law are both caught up on the series and they seemed to have enjoyed the books all the way through up to this point.

4. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    I have read the entire lot 3 or 4 times now over the years! I tend to reread it before a new book in the series come out. I know most find it tedious in some places, but everything is relevant in its own way. The exceptional descriptions (too flowery for some) show Jordans keen eye and love for the world he has created. I think all are good, some more so than others. I agree with peoples comments that he tended to gloss over battle scenes, but my thoughts are that maybe being an ex soldier himself he found it hard to write about death and destruction that he had personally seen firsthand, and felt that such descriptiveness would glorify battle to some extent.
    Still a damn fine read and well worth the effort.

5. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm with BFD. I like all the books, even if books 7-10 are more slowly paced. They're necessary to tell the story and IMO add an extra dimension to the storyline. Besides, KoD was a return to the more action packed early books anyway.

6. Kestrel

Kestrel Fool's Apprentice

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    As my thoughts kind of relate to the thread, I'll put this here. I adored the Wheel of Time series up to book 4 (or 5?) and then I noticed the decline. Yes, I like things to happen in my fantasies. I like adventure. I can completely understand the need for slow pace and I even enjoy those parts as much as the action-packed parts, but when it's dragged on so much I get bored and it irritates me. I found this such a shame as I really do want to know how this series is going to end. I've become invested in characters such as Rand (although he was starting to get irritating), Mat (who I've been increasingly fond of as the series went on) and Min (again, was starting to get annoying, but only because she was becoming too much of a girl, considering that isn't much in her nature).

Anyway, I guess I came here for advice about it. As I do want to know how this will end I want to know if it'll be worth it to slog through the next few books. I've heard that the latest one redeems the series somewhat so hopefully it wouldn't be for nothing. On the other hand, I guess I could always find some brief summary of the books to catch up on what happens, though I feel that would somehow be a betrayal. Or....give up on it altogether. I don't know. What do you think?

7. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't agree that the latter books are 'poor' although Path of Daggers and Crosswords of Twilight were a bit weaker than the earlier books. A lot of the criticism was from fans who were keen to see the many story threads start to come together towards a finale, instead the threads started to multiple lol. In the end of course Jordan sadly passed away before he was able to wrap it up, leaving the task to Brandon Sanderson to finish the series from Jordan's notes. Whether that conclusion will be as Jordan envisaged it we will never know.

I can't wait, although I'll probably have to for ages, for the last in the series to hit the book shops....

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  8. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Actually, you won't have to wait terribly long!

The planned release date for the final book is Fall 2009. Yes, that is more than a year, but really, it could be a lot longer. If you're interested, Brandon Sanderson is posting in his blog as he re-reads the series before he begins to tackle the task of writing book 12. He has some great insights, especially about why books 7-10 have been considered "slow" by a lot of readers: www.brandonsanderson.com/blog

9. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    ^ ... see what I mean ... ages ;) :D

Thanks for the blog link. It all sounds promising. I might even buy one of his own books now to get a feel for his writing style too.

10. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    If you're considering it, definitely go with "Mistborn." It blew my mind.

11. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have read them all more times than I can count! lol

Yes they have their slow parts but overall well worth the wait to get to the really good parts. I love finding something I didn't notice before in an earlier book that pertains to something in the middle of the series which becomes much clearer later on. Expecially things like the prophecies, seeing say one of Min's viewings manifest later on.

12. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Got it! .... it's about 3 books down in the queue to read...

13. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Excellent! But hurry up and read those other ones... Mistborn is so much better I'm sure. :D

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    I found them to be great.
    My only gripe is that they could cave been written more concisely.
    It's one hell of a rollercoaster ride though.

Not my favourite series though.

Robin Hobb writes those.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  15. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    @Harlequin ~ Hobbs is good although I didn't enjoy the Liveship series as much. Tolkien rules anyway :)

@LoS ~ I read fast, 3 books = <week.

16. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Oh... well there you go. Let me know what you think after you read it.

17. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I'm genuinely impressed by Sanderson's Mistborn ~ fresh ideas, new slant on 'magic' etc. I'm more confident that he'll do a decent job on WoT.

*orders sequel (The Well of Ascension)*

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  18. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yay, I'm glad you agree!!

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    I couldnt agree more about Tolkien, AKA The Father of Fantasy however LotR Saruman should have never become Sharkey in the shire, ridiculous.
    He should have just used Bill Ferney or Ted Sandeman.
    I know who and what he is but Tom Bombadil got right on my whick.Every time I read LotR (1st time when I was 11 and every year since total = 24 times), I try to read his bit but have to skip it out of annoyance.
    Sorry but thats just my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  20. BurntRose

BurntRose New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really like the WoT books and its such a shame Jordan died. However I agree that Sanderson will make a good job of the last one. As for those wondering if it's worth reading them...I would give that a definite yes. There are parts where the action slows right down, especially as mentioned in books 5-9 particularly Elaine and the throne of Andor...however every time I have re-read these books I have become more engrossed in the details than I was before. Does it take some effort to begin with? Yes, but you get so much enjoyment from them it makes it worth it....one thing that still gets me tho...Who killed Asmodean??? I still havent worked it out although Jordan repeatedly said all the clues were there to work it out.