The westernesse blade of Meriadoc

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Curufeanor, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Has ne1 noticed that Merry uses only his sword he got from Eowyn to stab the Witchking during the Battle of the Pellenor Field, and yet his Westernesse Sword seemed to pop up when he salute's Frodo when the Barad-Dur explodes ? I thought this was kinda wierd. Can ne1 get a screencap of this scene if I happen to be wrong about it ? Because I am sure that I saw the Numenorean dagger (not the noldori dagger from Galadriel, but the sword he got from Aragorn) in his hand at this point.

2. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I believe all swords that pierce the Witchking's flesh dissolve. So Merry and Eowyn would have lost there swords, and Merry would have needed a new one. Probably picked one up after the House of Healing. Since Aragorn got that first sword from Minas Tirith, it's safe to assume there are more.

3. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    No, the swords he gave the hobbits in the movie came from Westernesse origin (in the books, Tom Bombadil and Frodo find them in a Barrow infested with Wights). Narsil/Anduril was also of Westernesse-make, which would mean that they couldn't have come from Minas Tirith, because it was forged by Telchar back in the First Age. And Merry somehow regains this same sword AFTER the Battle of the Pellenor Field. You can see him hold it high when Barad-Dur explodes. Keep in mind that his Westernesse sword was the sword that was SUPPOSED to be used on the WK, but instead he used a Rohan-designed sword that he recieved in Edoras, which you will see him use to pledge his allegiance to Theoden in the EE. I brought this topic up, b'cuz its kind of a major (though mediocre) deviation from the story. The blades of the Westernesse were made for men to fend off the hordes of Angband, Utumno, and, later on, Mordor.... and especially for a defense against the Ring-Wraiths.

4. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was also under the impression that this sword was lost along with Pippin's sword when they became captives to the Uruk-Hai in FotR.

5. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I realize the Uruks and Merry not getting a Gondor sword now. My bad.

But in the film, Aragorn gives Merry and Pippin swords, one from Rohan and one from Gondor. Pippin got the one from Minas Tirith, and Merry from Edoras.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  6. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here is are the swords Aragorn gave the hobbits at Weathertop:
    [​IMG]
    the above are all of various designs of swords forged by the Westernesse (Numenorean).
    They came from the Dunedain, not Gondor, as Aragorn has not been in Gondor for at least 20-30 years. The one second-from-the-left is Merry's, and is the one he uses at the black gates, although he was supposed to use it on the WK. He was also supposed to be in the Houses of Healing at this time, not at the Morranon, but, alas this is the movie not the book (sigh)...

The sword that Merry gets in Rohan in RotK (and uses on the WK) looks more like this, only smaller:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  7. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The problem with the differences in swords is major! It opens the door for discussion as to why Merry's sword had such an effect on the WK in the first place. If these are only ranger leftovers, than why was the WK so effected by the stab of Merry? If they are magical blades (Westernesse) then the picture becomes more clear - PJ made a valiant attempt at trying to weave the many strands of the story together, but there are a number of these small pores in the story he devised.

8. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I thought any blade could hurt the Witchking. There was nothing special about Eowyns sword. It depended on who wielded it. The Witchking said no MAN could kill him. And no man did. A hobbit and a lady did.

9. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My impression of what hurt the WK and if I remember correctly from the books (it has been some time since I read them), the combination of Merry's magical blade and the fact that Eowyn was a woman were what did the WK in. True that there was nothing magical to Eowyn's blade, for her it was the shear fact that she was a woman; as to Merry, his blade was more than merely metal - and that I believe was enough to bring the initial wound to the WK.

10. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    in the book it states that because the blade was forged in westernesse it caused the witchking pain because they were his cheif enemies heres a quote"happy would have been the forger if he knew the fate of the blade"

Search tags for this page

gondor lord of the rings sword

the sword of meriodoc