The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Meteorain, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    So firstly, hello once again TFF for those who may remember.

So whilst on my hiatus from TFF I came across a very intruiging piece of work by none other than Brandon Sanderson; the writer who helped finished off the WoT books after RJ passed away. Low and behold I was very much please with this piece of work. Lengthy yes, but ever so satisfying.

I really liked his characters, not overly traditional in good or bad, but neither do they subject themselves to the grim-dark ways of aSoIaF with the overall scenario not being a stroll through a golden field, nor a miasma of depressing and savage culture; all in all a good balance. I enjoyed their viewpoints and found them to be unique from each other. I particularly liked the handing of magic in this universe, the defining of magical boundaries and the extent to which it can be harnessed was good limit on preventing near godlike powers that you can usually find. What surprised me most was that I was not put off by the exposition in the flashbacks, and actually quite enjoyed reading them.

So here I am hoping to garner discussion on this book/series of which I am quite eagerly waiting for the second installment.

2. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ Thanks for heads up on this book Met. I've read his Mistborn series and the Wheel of Time books he's been involved with but wasn't aware of this series. I'll check it out.

3. Rasha

Rasha New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I just finished this book. Like a few others, I didn't hear of Sanderson until he became involved in the WoT series. In RJ's last books, the details became tedious for me sometimes. (Dress descriptions, and descriptions of every single woman's "adequate bosom") When Sanderson joined in, I could tell immediately that there was a change to that. By the end of Towers of Midnight, I was intrigued by Sanderson, so I looked him up. Glad I did.

Way of Kings is a huge book. I hope they are all this way. I specifically appreciated 2 things about this book. First, Sanderson's world is new. Granted, I may not be as well read as some of you, so "new" may be subjective. It was nice to read about a world with all kinds of new ideas, rules and creatures.

Sanderson's characters are the second thing I really enjoyed. The development of characters wasn't so rigorous that it gave away the plot twists. It's been a while since I wanted to jump up and cheer for a character, or was in my chair physically depressed about someone's actions.

Anyway, great book. The good news is, there are 9 more books in the series. The bad news is, #2 isn't out yet. Maybe that's good news after all though. I've spent my entire reading life waiting for "the next book" I did it with Brooks, RJ and GRRM, why not Sanderson. What's another 12 years spent eagerly checking websites for rumors of a release date.

Incidentally, I joined this forum hoping to find my next read, but I saw this post and thought I would respond. It's my first post, so Hi! Nice to meet you all.

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Haha, welcome to the forum I suppose then.

Firstly though Elladan, be ready for a hefty read. It's a minimum 1000 page book, so it's a nice little trek through the thing.

Well Rasha fortunately we will not have to wait too long for the second book. Apparently it's supposed to be released some time in 2012, so no ridiculous wait times like GRRM puts people through; however I was not aware there were supposed to be 9 books in this series! You are right though, the character development doesn't give away any real plot twists, I think a most noticeable one being between Shallan and her father (won't mention due to spoilers).