The Veil

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nienor, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    In Book 5, Sirius falls through the veil in the Halls of Prophecy. After this event, he is presumed to be dead. Does the veil symbolize a final death or merely a different and temporary dimension that someone is in?

2. Hermione

Hermione Silent Arrow of Legolas

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it sybolises a different dimension like the world of ghosts e.c.t and it will be interesting to see if he does come back as a ghost.

3. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, everyone else (i.e. the adults present) seemed to feel that Sirius was gone for good. However, I don't recall anyone actually saying he was "dead." I don't think we've seen the last of Mr. Black, but I almost hope we have. Not because I dislike Sirius, but it just feels like a cheat to me if he returns. Life isn't all happy endings all the time and great struggles between good and evil should have losses on both sides. I would not have picked Sirius's lkife to end in this book, but since he's gone, I think the story will be better served if he stays gone.

4. Chrissy

Chrissy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think he should remain dead.. don't get me wrong, I think Mr. Black is a great character, but please remain dead..

5. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I think he should remain dead also. Or else there would be no point for his demise in book 5.

6. Hermione

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maybe its just to prove to Harry that he had someone their to look after him that cared for him and to make him in the centre of atention again.

7. ElvenArcher

ElvenArcher New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too have been thginking along those lines but what would happen since Sirius wasnt a ghost when he entered? Would his soul be ripped from his body? :devilspin :duh:

8. Nienor

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... Not exactly a pleasant thought.

I'd assume it's some sort of metaphysical plane, since there's no body to be found. ie Transported to a different dimmension.

9. Hermione

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must agree having your soal ripped literally from your body does not sound to nice mabe he died and his soul lived on or something like that.

10. Eleanor Lupin

Eleanor Lupin Heap Big Chief

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm thinking it's probably death. I don't think JKR goes quite that deep. though I don't normally try to figure things like that out.

11. Roheryn

Roheryn Druid of Paranor

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    well... she is said to have mentioned that his death was very important, and plays a large role in the seventh book...

12. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    hope so.we need to have some sort of explanation about the whole veil thing.like the 'voices' that harry and luna could hear.i mean come on,u step through this thing and u die just like that never seen or heard of again?

13. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +213 / 0 / -0
    I always took the veil to to be a portal to the afterlife. and since nothing living can be brought back Sirius is gone for good.
    If you recall in book 5 when Harry speaks to nicolas about Sirius becoming a ghost, Nicolas said that not all wizards choose the be cowardly and leave an imprint behind but rather they pass on.
    We can take that as passing on to an afterlife, hence the voices they heard.

I also believe that any character here who dies should stay dead, since dumbledore and others constantly say that there is no spell that can bring a dead one back to life.

14. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Fairly certain the Veil was supposed to be a portal to the afterlife, where you could hear the souls from beyond, it was entrancing and everybody is curious about what happens after they die maybe even to the point of being drawn in at a subconscious level.
    Also Sirius was hit by a spell from Bellatrix right before he fell through it. What if that was a killing curse? I don't think they specified.