The Unfinished Fantasy

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Elynda Fae, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Elynda Fae

Elynda Fae Of the Seven Fae Realms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Elsewhere I've mentioned the ancient 'epic' that I never finished. Ancient, I say, because it was begun in my tender youth, when I really thought it was a work of genius to rival Tolkien (it wasn't). It languishes in several dusty box files on top of my book cases and has never seen the light of day, except for being mentioned a few times on another forum far from here.

So, now that I am here, I may as well give you the low down, the basic 'concept' if that doesn't sound too pretentious.

To begin with the world in which the whole thing took place was called 'Valtar', although it was only ever a place holder name until I thought of something better. Anyway I had, and I think, still do have (somewhere in this shambles I call a study) a map and part of a lengthy history.

The story was to be told in several parts, each of which would be a stand alone novel and would not have to be read in any particular order. Because I find few things more irritating than to come across volume 2 or whatever of some fantasy series and not be able to read it until I have tracked down the books that come before it. Each of the different hero characters was to have an adventure of their own, perhaps occasionally encountering the others in their travels, before finally being gathered together for the grand finale. As it stands I think I completed half of one and about two thirds of the grand finale, plus several fragments of the others.

And what of the characters: Well, I had many ideas, but never entirely decided who would make the finally cut. The names were, again, mainly place holders. But these were the main ideas:

Elryn: A boy thief, who had many adventures with pirates in the eastern seas, before finally fetching up on the shores of Valtar.

Luska: A goblin princess, destined to rule an empire. My goblins were not all evil, many of them were noble and heroic. A proud warrior race.

Dorazella: A rather muddle headed and accident prone a sorceress: they needed somebody who could work magic, and she was the unlikely choice.

Valla: A giantess. The last of her race, seven feet tall, very beautiful and wielding a deadly broadsword.

Talina: A fairy who turns out to be one of the seven lost daughters of the High Queen.

Raiglin: A dwarf. Because you always have to have a dwarf.

And maybe an elf or two although, frankly, I couldn't quite decide what to with the elves. I mean, everybody uses them and they are always so very virtuous, so very... boring. Well, that's how my elves were coming across at any rate. I did have the thought that, since I had made some of my goblins heroic and chivalrous, I might make some the elves arrogant, proud or even scheming and treacherous.

And, as I say, all these heroes come together for the 'grand quest' in the finale, which I called "The Sleepers Under the Mountain".

And then I read Lord of the Rings, and many other fantasy novels and became... discouraged.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. Elynda Fae

Elynda Fae Of the Seven Fae Realms

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Fall of the Winglords.

This is part of the 'history' mentioned above.

The Ilsarin (The Winged Ones) were the children of Ilsara, the first of their kind to master the secret of flight. And there were once many of them, both male and female, and of many different orders both great and small. The mighty amongst them ruled over the lesser as kings and queens, and the other ancient peoples of Valtar were glad to acknowledge them and offer them allegiance, for their rule seemed kindly and just.

But in time, many of the Winglords, grew haughty and proud, being seduced into evil. Some say it was that begetter of all evils, the Nameless One, who corrupted their hearts. Others hold that it was simply unbridled power, which can corrupt both fae and mortal alike. However it may be, many of the mightiest Winglords rebelled against their High Queen, drawing many others to their allegiance. And few there were amongst the menfolk of the Ilsarin who remained faithful. Those were named the Talinyari (The Faithful Ones) and they fought bravely alongside their sisters in the long and bitter war that followed.

And it was truly a long war, and it raged in all parts of Valtar, so that all the ancient races of the fae were drawn into it, some fighting for the cause of justice and the rightful queen and some for the dark Winglords. So too of the younger race of mortal men, although they fought often in places far removed from the domains of the Ilsarin, often not knowing clearly for what cause they fought. Such was the chaos of that time, when many evils were begun in the world that had not been before.

Yet in the end the Winglords were defeated, and all of them perished – or so it was thought. But victory came at great cost: the Ilsarin were greatly diminished in numbers and, most grievously, it was found that in the last great battle all of the Talinyari had fallen. Henceforward there would be only females of the true Ilsarin race.

And so, at the time that the stories are set, the Ilsarin are few. They are of course immortal, yet they can be slain, or die by grievous mischance. The time may come when they are no more, or so it is thought.

3. Jess Leigh

Jess Leigh Serial Scrawler

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    No need to be discouraged. They write what they write. You write what you write. Creating the best version you can of the best story in your mind is all anyone can do. I'd say that any worries beyond that belong to other people.

Bored, unused fantasy dwarves everywhere are cheering!

4. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +388 / 0 / -0
    My wife and I are writing a fantasy epic. In truth we already finished it, but we were not happy with a lot of ideas and the ending. We are working on new ideas and try to connect our male protagonist to the hero’s journey, while having to follow the female protagonist the heroine’s journey. This, for example, had us to ensure that we also had male and female villains. In truth there aren’t any fantasy creatures in it, except for fantasy monsters like dragons, sea monsters etc. What we did instead of having different species, is create different types of civilisations. Though it’s not impossible that we’ll have humanoid fantasy creatures, cause we did write spinoffs with them which had an aquatic Prince to winged humanoid creatures and more. We tried to create our own, instead of using species you see in many fantasy novels, such as Elves and Dwarves.