The Total War Series

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by King Bruiser, Mar 4, 2017.

1. King Bruiser

King Bruiser Absolutely Barbaric!

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Anyone here play the Total War games?

For those who might not be familiar with the series, they are tactical war games usually set in a historical setting. Up until recently that is. The games span many different time periods: from ancient Rome, feudal Japan, the middle ages, 1700s and 1800s and now they even cover fantasy!

The campaign map is turned based. That is where you construct buildings in your cities, recruit units, and move your armies. Once it is time for battle, you are loaded into the field where you control literally thousands of troops in real time. There isn't anything else like it!

Currently I am play Total War: Shogun 2 (the best in my humble opinion) and Total War: Warhammer

I own them all on Steam and would love to play with some people from this forum! Just search Steam for King Bruiser and add me if you like! :)

2. Cephalophore

Cephalophore New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I play them! I'm a Total War veteran!

The first one I ever played was Medieval: Total War circa 2005. Then Medieval II. Then Rome. Then Shogun 2. Then Attila! (the last time I played a TW game was late last year, playing an Axum campaign in Attila. It was a lot of fun, they have a great starting position.)

I've actually never played Rome 2 or Empire/Napoleon! And I'd love to start playing the Warhammer one, because I've always loved Warhammer and Warhammer 40k. (Just reading about them though, never actually playing!)

3. Kelmourne

Kelmourne The Savage Hippy

A Pirate city in international cyberspace
    Ratings:
    +404 / 1 / -1
    I still think Medieval 2 was the best, especially some of the mods like Stainless Steel and Third Age.

Something about Rome 2 bothers me and I'm not sure what.

4. SaranderBrander

SaranderBrander New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My internet connection isn't stable enough for multiplayer, but I just wanted to add...

Mods! Mods! Mods mods mods mods mods mods mods mods mods! Steam Workshop.

The customizability of the game is one of my favorite aspects of Total War. I used a nice zombie graphics mod for my recent Total Warhammer Vampire Counts playthrough and also the Tunneling and Settle Anywhere mod to get the Dwarfs off my back during the early game. When Chaos came, I had gold mines in the mountains ensuring I'd never run out of undead calvary to raise.

Also thanks to Medieval 2 I know that elephants with cannons mounted on their backs were real and terribly awesome .

5. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +728 / 6 / -2
    I have put hundreds of hours into Medieval 2 total war hotseat campaigns! It's really just such a great game. It isn't uber-complex like some strategy games, which is why I love it. It's just casual enough that you can just hang out and play it, but complex enough that it takes some knowledge and skill.

Has anyone played Empire Total War? It is appealing to me because I've always wanted to play a Medieval II campaign that included most of the known world map.

• Like Like x 1
  6. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 the poor mans old breed

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    Ever since I got a computer that could handle it I've played the poop out of every total war except Warhammer 2.
    .........but I still want WH2.
    Anyways, Empire is one of my favorites for the sheer scale of land and options.
    Right now I'm in the middle of an English campaign where I gave Scotland and Ireland to The United States in exchange for staying my protectorate, and I've launched a full scale invasion of North Africa.

Rather raucous fun, I must say....hrmm.....eh'yes......

7. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +404 / 1 / -1
    Kak-man, have you checked out Europa Universalis IV yet? It's from 15th century to the 19th century, it's the whole world, and you can play as one of over 200 different factions (balanced according to historical realism). Unfortunately, it's VERY complex. But it's addicting as hell, especially if you're a history nerd for that era.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +728 / 6 / -2
    I have not! I just looked it up though, and it seems pretty incredible! Is it somewhat similar style to M2TW? Should I just look at the base game or should I get one of the expansions as well?

9. Kelmourne

Ratings:
    +404 / 1 / -1
    The base game is good enough IMO.

It's not THAT similar to M2TW. It's actually real-time but you can pause whenever and change the speed that times goes by at. And the combat system is significantly more simple. You don't even go into a separate screen for it at all, they just duke it out on the world map almost like in Civilization. But it's more complex than civ because there's alot more variables that go into how well you will do, and they take a while to resolve. Large battles can take up to a month of in-game time, but really easy ones can happen in 1 day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. warrior_squirrel21

warrior_squirrel21 the poor mans old breed

Ratings:
    +181 / 0 / -0
    I've been really looking into crusader kings lately and it's the same people that make EU4 etc.
    It'd be a nice change from just murdering everyone in my nations path.