The Syrian Uprising

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Giving weapons to the rebels is a wrong idea,because most of the rebels are now clearly jihadis.One of the latest videos shows the Jabhat An-Nusra fanatic jihadis taking down the FSA flag(the de factor rebel flag)and hoisting their own islamist and jihadi flags.Most of the attrocities and the most savage ones come from the rebels.The government has even pardoned some hundreds of ex-rebels that decided to put down their guns and bet back to normal life.

In the end of the day,the army of Syria is fighting for a secular Syria because Assad's Syria,may not be the best democracy in the world,but it guarantees freedom of religion and peaceful coexistence of Sunni Muslims,Shia muslims,Greek Orthodox Christians,Catholics,Maronites,Armenian Christians,Syriac Christians,Alewites,Druze etc.

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Supposedly now the US has "proof" of Assad using chemical weapons, and that means they crossed "the red line". But of course this proof is "classified". And it doesn't matter that the rebels have already been caught with sarin by Turkey. It doesn't matter that the US used (and still uses) depleted uranium. None of this matters.
    Assad is not an idiot to risk using chemical weapons to kill the estimated ~150 people when he's obviously doing very well without them, even when the rebels are using such weapons. The fact is that the rebels are losing heavily, which comes as unexpected to the US and Israel, so now they decided to step in.
    I am very curious to see what will Putin do. Russia has already deployed some ships in the Mediterranean.

@Julie: small arms only, and the US also shipped such arms to Al Nusra, not to mention the support they're receiving from Turkey and Erdogan.
    UN observers have no credibility, and neither does the UN itself, when we take into consideration what crimes it sanctioned. Know of Srebrenica? And the invasion of Lybia. Lybia is now in total chaos, they're in a far worse condition than during Gaddafi's rule, with rampant crime and rape. But the media don't report on this do they? Nor do they report that the very first thing Lybian rebels did - was to form a central bank. In a war-torn country filled with wounded and dying - the first thing on everyone's list is forming a friggin central bank. To hell with the UN.

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    All the Syrian government needs now is some protection and help in weapons from Russia and they can destroy the rebels and gain their country back.On the other hand there are
    reports of hideous war crimes on behalf of the rebels,the massacre of Ad-Duwayr,an entire Christian village and the last Christian church in Deir-Ez-Zor meant that the Christians of that city are leaving.

4. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Americans wake up!

Obama decided to provide weapons and money to the rebels in Syria!Some say to some factions some say to all,but the thing is that ALL the factions are now jihadi,they are not moderate and they are almost all of them fanatic muslims!

WAKE UP!

McCain wants an intervention in Syria,he wants the American army to invade to that country!

Syria is bleeding,Syria is dying,the jihadis are beheading people,they started killing people for "blasphemy",they started imposing sharia law.There are many videos of their crimes on the net!

And Obama wants to FUND them!!!!

5. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    Re: Americans wake up!

I thought you hated muslims ;)

6. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0

You thought wrong,I have many muslim friends.

7. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2

to be frank with you... I think this so called "arab spring" is gonna bring changes... but it's gonna be wrose IMHO... these countries just have a tendency to fall from dictatorships into theocracies...

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

Opinions expressed in this thread may or may not represent those of TFF :)

Syria is the only country in which the Arab Spring is still going strong, and I suppose only the second country in which it led to civil war. For whatever it's worth, the civil war has gotten quite out of hand, if you ask me. And I don't expect it to end anytime soon.

There is only so much time you can leave civil war to its own devices. Yes, it's turning out to be an extremely dirty war. I wouldn't want to pick sides - however, I would say that reinstalling Assad would be more dangerous than going ahead with the revolution. Momentum at any rate is against Arab dictators.

EDIT: Also merged "The Syrian Uprising" with "America wake up!"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Reinstalling Assad would be more dangerous?The man guarantees freedom of religion for all citizens and a secular government.I believe that after the civil war Assad and the Syrian government will be much better because now they know that they have to let people say their opinion a bit more.

But saying that Assad is worse than all those jihadi nutcases who pillage,rape and behead civilians and POWs?I could link you more than a dozen videos of their attrocities which they take pride on and capture for the whole world to see what happens when they win.

These are the guys the U.S. government wants to fund!These are the people that Obama,McCain and the UK and France decided to give arms and money to:

*snip*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  10. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    As I understand, the atrocities are not unilateral. Actual sourced material is hard to come by in this war, but from what I understand, things currently go both ways. As such, we are faced with 4 options: helping the established government; helping the opposition; intervene; or do nothing. What are you suggesting the best course of action would be, Foin?