The Sookie Stackhouse Novels / True Blood

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Appaliq, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone else started or read this series, The Sookie Stackhouse Novels/The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris?

I originally heard about them from one of my customers at the bank. She noticed Eclipse, one of the the Twilight books, sitting on the counter and we gushed over it like fan girls for a moment. Then she asked if I had read the Sookie Stackhosue books. She described them as "Twilight, only for adults", which obviously sparked my interest. She said True Blood was an adaptation on HBO. Then I mentioned Thrones, and asked if she had read A Song of Ice and Fire, and she had! She said she was obsessed with the series. At that point she left, but I am still convinced she was my soul mate.

So, I figured anyone with such amazing taste in books was probably making a good recommendation. Before I picked up the first novel, however, Dead Until Dark, I watched the first season of True Blood.

The TV show was great! I loved it. I was less thrilled with the first novel, which is the first season. The book and the show are very different, and I thought the TV series was much better than the book (which is unusual). But I decided to start on the second book, Living Dead in Dallas, because I want to know what happens in the second season of True Blood which starts some time this summer.

Which led me to the third book, Club Dead, which I absolutely loved! I just finished it today and marked so many passages. These books are really good. They're totally hilarious and are usually page-turners!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm looking for someone to gush over Bill/Eric/Alcide with me. :D

2. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    hm.,i watched true blood (new season in july or june) and i loved it. :)
    but hm...i dunno if i should read the books...i like the waiting and thinking what comes next. though the bad part is that when i will read the books, i will have the image of eric, bill,sookie,etc. in my head....

3. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I loved the TV show too. The more I think about it, the more I realize how different they are. Tara and Jason were my favorite characters in the TV show. Tara isn't even in the first book! And the whole Jason/Amy relationship never exists.

4. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    :D

since you read the books...did you imagine sookie looking like that? or eric...or bill?

5. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Fastest response ever! I love it.

I watched the show before I read the books, so I imagine all the characters as they appeared in the TV series. It's actually kind of nice. I don't have to get all irritated that they don't look the same in my head. :D

I do imagine Eric a little bit sexier in my mind than he actually is in the series, however.

6. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    lol :D

i accidentally ran into some spoilers (grrr), so i started to imagine eric sexier (i agree here :p), and bill...hm...dunno. sookie's teeth are different in my head :D

7. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, she's a little gap-toothed.

I can't decide which man/vamp/misc. to love! At first, because of the TV show, I really liked Sam. He's not really all that involved in the book series though. So then I fell in love with Bill, except now Eric is becoming a more frequent player and there's a sexy sexy werewolf named Alcide that I really love...

I'm only on the third book, so who knows what could happen.

Also, I love you Mem, for being the only person to respond. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Werewolf? Yep, i kinda ran into some spoilers (you know,if you only watch the show...) and read that sookie has a lot of bf's :D I can't wait till june:)

hm...eric in the show looks different than in the couple of pages of a book that i read >.> maybe he changes. Oo

how many books are there again?

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    1. Dead Until Dark
    2. Living Dead in Dallas
    3. Club Dead
    4. Dead to the World
    5. Dead as a Doornail
    6. Definitely Dead
    7. All Together Dead
    8. From Dead to Worse
    9. Dead And Gone

She's released one every year since 2001, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if number 10 shows up in a few months. Knowing that makes me a little uneasy. You know how writers can get carried away and the quality of the plot suffers. You'd think after 9 or 10 books she'd wrap it up.

I can't wait for season 2 either. The books have only gotten better, so I've got high hopes - but then again the first book and season 1 were so different. I know I keep saying that but when I started thinking about it more, it's amazing how much more there is in the show!

You should probably read the books, Mem. :D

10. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    dead dead dead :D

i can read book one, and then books two. but huh, dunno if i have the gust to read all of them. it's nice not knowing :p

ok...so...team bill or team eric? :D

11. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    They're fairly short, as far as books go. No more than 300 pages (at least the first 3). I can see why you might want to keep the TV show a surprise, but I think it will be a surprise no matter what.

Team Bill or Team Eric? That's too hard! I guess...Team Bill. :p

[​IMG]

12. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I might give it a try then :p
    and you know...bad guys are popular, and eric looks like a bad guy in the show. >.>

13. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Oh yeah, he's def a bad boy. :D

14. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    and why are we only ones posting? come on,true blood/sookie novels is/are great :eek:

15. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    lol, I don't know but for two people we are doing an outstanding job of keeping this thread alive.

So, what did you think of Amy in True Blood (also not in the book except maybe 1 or 2 glimpses)? Evil, scheming biatch or did you like her?

16. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Huh, the quickest answer would be hat she was a psycho :D but dunno...i didn't like her last act, you know..where she practically made him take the blood. but hm...they were a cute couple. :D
    though i don't know how jason is in the novels, he looks pretty stupid in the show. :D
    what did you think?

17. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you, Amy was a love/hate character. They were cute, but she was crazy! I loved that Jason sort of turned against her though, concerning Eddie.

I finished reading the fourth book tonight. I won't say why, but I'm a little turned off by Eric now. I think I'm going to go with Team Alcide (whom you haven't seen in the show)! Or Team Bill. Or maybe back to Team Eric depending on the next book... :D

18. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    yes,jason actually looked like a smart person,he knew what was the right thing to do. *nods*

eric not good? :( aaaa,i want to read! :D

19. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    No, Eric was good. Very, very good. But like...too good. I can't tell you. You'll just have to read. :D

20. Mem

Mem Mosh Warrior

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    i know he lost his memory! spoilers y'know :(

Search tags for this page

what happens to bill in the sookie stackhouse books