The Shannara Chronicles

Discussion in 'General Television' started by anonymous, Jan 11, 2016.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Series looks cool, are books any good?

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I've never read them but my hubby liked 'em.
    We plan to watch the series too. :)

3. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    let's hope series will not be crappy, as most are... e.g. The Sword of Truth...

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well 4 ep in and I liked it. SoT was so shit omg.

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    It all depends on the writers who adapt the story for the screen and the budget. Hopefully they do a decent job.

6. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    It's uber cliché, hey? I like to see some maturish fantasy drama, though. The well-done violence makes it watchable.

7. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I mean, hippy elves, a Forgotten Realms druid, a dickhead male protagonist who's getting multiple hot girls despite being neither skilled nor wealthy. Makes you want to vomit, no?

8. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well to be honest from a TV series is all I need. Good high fantasy series are so rare these days.
    And for that you have Song of Ice and Fire

9. Daughter of Hell

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    I don't understand why they didn't make something intelligent, though. They plainly had the resources. How the F**K does this stuff make it to the screen? Abysmal.

10. Detth

Detth Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Prob. can't get any worse than SoT tho..xD Should read the books first

11. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

The problem is that the core material is badly written.
    I get the feeling that MTV is trying desperately to cash in on the popularity of Game of Thrones, and doing it on a very tight budget by adapting books that were never that good anyway.

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Well was shannara really that bad? Im listening to it atm, and it does not seem so bad.
    But yea the trend is real - SyFy Magicians, shit books, shit series.

13. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    IMHO Shanara books 1 and 3 were quite ok..., 2nd kinda boring... did not read more than that... But it cannot be compared with R. Jordan's, B. Sanderson's or G.R. R. Martin's stuff...

14. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    for them to be Quite ok you have a funny steam name :D

15. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Why is it so hard to make television show, game, or movie that stays true to the source material. I was giving this show a chance despite a million things that irked me to no end right up until they revealed that "Utopia" has working electricity and then I turned it off. This isn't Shannara, this is Fallout with magic.

16. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    The problems come from many sources including:

1) TV shows have formulas and theories of good success which often don't well translate when you try to re-tell a story over the top of them. A common one is that a series, especially the first, is done without any guarantee of a followup series. Furthermore some get killed part way through (Firefly!).
    As a result writers want to have a first series that ties itself up nicely at the end; but also presents episodes throughout that are not going to lose poeple who only just picked it up story wise.

2) Writers often only use the source material as a guideline and instant fanbase builder. Once done they are often then more apt to change things toward what they "really" wanted to make but couldn't because it was a unique new thing that wouldn't have had an instant appeal from a pre-existing fanbase.

3) Writers of scripts are only one part of the equation; producers; directors; actors etc.... many people can edit a storyline. Often what can happen is the production companies will impose or restrict certain things based upon what they want of the product. This can very well hack apart a storyline and can result in gaps or missing parts or even huge changes.

4) As small changes build up bigger things have to shift to keep it faithful to itself at the very least. You can see this in nearly any adaptation; whilst some might even keep the end goal in the same place; the small things left out or bits added mean that things have to change to keep it working.
    Thus even minor changes early on might break things if what a few in the production system feel isn't needed in an early episode and is thus cut.

5) Cutting to fit time slots. Happens a LOT with films (this is why directors cuts exist) but also TV shows. Productions have to fit slots and sometimes this means bits get cut out to ensure that it fits into that time slot that its allocated. This can mean key things get chopped out - especially if you get to the end of making a season and its running over its time slot and number of episodes.

6) And yep on that note if you've only got X amount of time and episodes you've got to cut and condense things. This is without considering that some things in writing (like visual descriptions) are very quick in film but other things (like mental background info and such) are often very hard and slower to convey. So you can easily run out of time to fit everything in that you want.

17. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Well, that certainly is a comprehensive list, but my question was rhetorical.

Besides which, I think the real answer is that studios are greedy and they'll do anything to cash in on a name, without regard for the actual fans. Which is exactly why the rights are bought and sold left and right in hollywood more often than actual shows are put out and why certain studios have been caught in the past throwing a movie out at the last minute just so they didn't lose said license.

Television is actually the perfect media for these long book series' You're not limited to two hours like an actual movie. If they took the time to pace themselves and put the story out there as its presented, and put out a quality product, the continuity and renewals would take care of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that some things in books don't translate the same to a television screen, but butchering the spirit of a story because some writer wanted to try something new just disgusts me. Go write your own original story, don't take something I love and destroy it.

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I tried to watch this show, but there's so many things that make me cring. I, personally, thought it was really bad, boring, stereotypical. I just stopped watching it after a few episodes.