The Second Amendment

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Almost sounds like a movie title,but anyway I was just looking at this video:

And I kind of thought if we had such a law,such an amendment in our constitution too.Now that crime rates are probably higher than ever and good citizens rarely have any defense against armed criminals,if it would be necessary or helpful,when from what we've seen most of the times police can't do everything to save someone.

But I also want your opinion,how good do you think is this law?How much beneficial is it for the American people and do you think it causes more problems than prevent many?

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    The second amendment to the US Constitution is so vague that, basically, everyone could interpret it the way they want.

As such, it's very hard to argue about. However it works, it seems it has been drawn out its context in a bizarre way. Personally, it seems that US citizens are not allowed to bear arms, unless they form either a militia or an army. And the most owning arms don't do either...

3. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Isn't it mostly interpreted that all citizens of the US are allowed to bear arms and own arms in their personal home? I think the opponents are bringing up the militia thing, but most states still have a loose gun regulation, from what I understand..

I'm not a fan of that amendment at all, in fact it's been proven that crime rate goes up due to a loose gun regulation. And you get things like columbine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. azuren82

azuren82 Berserk got banned...

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Go tell that to the Republicans who somehow couldn't grasp the fact that the gun culture has always been an imminent result of a rampant crime culture. They want to talk democracy on this count? Well just take a look at democratic countries like Japan and Korea and talk later. -.-

5. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This is part of Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution:
    This is the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

So according to my "interpretation" a citizen is guaranteed the right to "bear arms" only if they are part of a Militia that is well regulated, organized, and disciplined by Congress.

According to my "interpretation," under the constitution, citizens are not guaranteed the right to own a gun for reasons other than to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions. Right now, there is no Militia that is regulated by congress.

This does not mean that I think no one should have the right to own a gun. It just means that I do not think people are guaranteed the right under the U.S. constitution.

Note: In my opinion, my "interpretation" isn't as much of an interpretation so much as it's more of just reading the text.

6. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I think that only the proper authorities should have guns, citizens tend to take the law into their own hands when having such a powerful tool in their disposal. I believe it might cause more harm than benefit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    i don't like guns in homes personally, but I come from Australia where guns tend to belong on farms and sporting clubs. One thing's for certain though - any country that ever was crazy enough to try and invade North America would face not just the armed forces but just about every citizen armed to the teeth as well :D Whereas if someone were to invade Australia, we'd have to fight back with cricket bats and the odd boomerang :D

8. Aphelion

Aphelion The Mighty One

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    hehehe.. perhaps you are right, but today's wars are different and don't require much "gun confrontation" ;)