The Scouring of the Shire

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Tatharlin, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Why was it not in Rotk? Some1 told me it was because Christopher Lee was dead and he couldn't do Saruman's part, but that's not true because he was in the EE. It's a very significant part, why was it not added? :saurumon:

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    It was never filmed because PJ never intended to put it in. Its too anti-climatic, you have the One destroyed and then they have to go home and fight again. It is kinda stupid that the Shire never gets touched and remains exactly the same when the whole world is completely changed by the War, and nothing is left untouched, not even the Elven kingdoms.

3. darthrage

darthrage Sith Lord of the Realm

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I know PJ said he never liked that part of the books. I think the idea in the films was that they stopped Sauron's / Saruman's advance before it was able to get near the shire.

4. Xaltar

Xaltar Faen Curunír

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Kinda dumb if you ask me, just because you didn't like a part of the book does not give you the right to change it or leave it out! I was really annoyed with the ROTK, he changed ALOT of stuff that was not nessesary to change. All in all he did a good job but it would have been so much better if he had stuck closer to the book in the last movie.

5. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I disagree with you there.

He is the directer. and he is the one who wrote the script for the movie. The LOTR movies were an adaption, and, as such, he had to make some changes to properly adapt the books into the movie.

Can you imagine if the original ending had still been included, and after all the various endings filled with heartfelt music, and after everything, when the hobbits returned, there was yet ANOTHER conflict?

Before I saw the movie, I was upset by the decision, but after seeing it, I couldn't be happier with the way the movie ended :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  6. Xaltar

Xaltar Faen Curunír

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I was refering to changing things that were not nessesary to change. The relationship between Frodo and Sam for example, That whole scene on the stairs REALY p15535 me off, I have not bought ROTK because of it, I can't stand it when people change the meaning of a story, adapt, go ahead, leave out, no problem but to change some of the key parts of the story and atmosphere is just wrong. I am not critisizing, just stating that I found ROTK to be dissapointing. As a movie it was exalent but it was not just a movie, it was an adaption of the greatest fantasy writing of all time and thus should have kept closer to Tolkiens story (in ROTK specificaly).

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Just a theory... could it be because this would have added another 30 minutes to the movie? I mean, come on. I really love it, but after the Ring is destroyed, you constantly have the sense the titlescreen will start rolling down, we all know the feeling. The Scouring of the Shire would have only added to that.

8. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how much of a fan you are, but having read the books at least 15 times, when watching the movie you KNOW that none of those other 'endings' is the end. And for a die-hard fan, I would have loved another 1/2 hr, or hour, or 2. To me the Scouring of the Shire was very important. Instead of having the ending be where no one in the Shire knew what happened to the 4, and treated them like nothing did happen, the 4 hobbits actually became heros in the Shire. The difference is monumental in my eyes.

Having said that, I think that PJ did an excellent job on all the movies, including ROTK. One has to understand that these movies were being made not only for us die-hard fans, but for people who had never even read the books. I believe this version of the film was the compromise between the two so that those who had not yet been fans, became fans, and those who were fans remained so.

9. Morwen Tivele

Morwen Tivele Drow witch..

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree..
    I'm a big LOTR fan, and I do not mind the changes..
    Personally,I would like the movies to be 6 hours long each.. but you have to think of those who did not red the book, and I know that some people think that ROTK is too long, but for me it is too short.. :)

10. Xaltar

Xaltar Faen Curunír

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ^ agreed ^

11. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like the scouring of the shire ending because it shows the quaint little hobbits suddenly becoming warriors to protect their homes and loved ones. And Frodo and Sam went to Mordor to save the shire, remember? And when they came home everything they suffered for was destroyed, and their worst fear was confirmed. It's very powerful, I definitely think they should have left it in.

And wtf happened to Saruman?

12. Celtic_Ranger

Celtic_Ranger Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    same the scouring is a very important part to leave out. saruman just vanished in the movie.

13. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Saurman is dealth with in the EE. The same sort of thing happens (Grima stabs him, then Grima gets shot), but its done atop Orthanc, rather than in the Shire.

14. Boromir_the_ranger2

Boromir_the_ranger2 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oh what ever like it really matters that much Elan Morin Tedronai

15. Elan Morin Tedronai

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Well, i was wondering if you were the same Boromir_The_Ranger as before. From your attitude its pretty obvious you are...

16. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Ranger it does matter, it was a very important scene. But you are banned, so I dont care.

17. Tatharlin

Tatharlin Daughter of a

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    aren't we curious as to why...?