The round-up

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Turambar, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Sooo... I am currently looking into taking photography a bit more serious. I am in the process of purchasing a more serious camera, which is (hardly) discussed elsewhere

I suppose it's a good moment to expose myself to the world and show at least a few pictures in my archive. As good a moment as any, I suppose.

All taken with laymen skill and "cheap" cameras, in chronological order:

[​IMG]

Taken in 2006 in Zambia by me with a Kodak 650.

This is known as "the last pic". It's the last picture I took with my camera in Africa before the CCD crashed. It's a lucky shot, about 20 minutes before sundown, taken from about 20 meters away. If ever you've been to Africa - taking pictures of animals is easy. Taking good ones is damn effing hard. This is the best I have taken.

[​IMG]

Taken in 2006 in Malawi with my sister's Ricoh Caplio R3 (since my own was broken by then)

Africa has something about sunsets. There isn't a day going by on which it isn't stunning. The light actually got slightly better after this (more blue and purple tones) but the camera couldn't pick it up without showing too much noise. And there's only one shot with the boat at that exact spot :D Ow well...

[​IMG]

Days later, when driving back, this one popped up. I was taking pictures of this wholly remarkable building (this is by African standards), we were mobbed by a class of kids. Not so much a great photo as a funny picture. Again, on my sister's Caplio R3

[​IMG]

Taken with my father's Canon PowerShot A720, in The Netherlands in 2009.

Sometimes, nature helps a hand. This was in the first week of last January when we were skating on a large lake. Since this is very close to the longest day of the year, the sun took forever to set, prolonging the excelent lighting close to infinity. The light got better. Lots better. But the composition didn't. And since we still had to skate about 15 km back - and we weren't about to do it in the dark, we had to leave this spot be.

[​IMG]

Taken with my own Kodak Z650 reincarnated in 2009 in Belgium.

This was taken on my last city trip a few weeks ago. We were in Bruges, drinking our first beer. This is literally shot from the terrace seat I occupied. The larger-then-life bronze is (probably) in the image of Jan van Eyck, quite possibly one of the most influential painters. Ever. Mostly because he pioneered oil painting and much of the used techniques therein. I like the pensive look on his face, as though content with the (otherwise excelent) sky he seemingly painted. The statue is slightly blurred because, although in focus, my lense isn't that good :)

So there you have it. Some samples of my past. I'd readily admit there's room for improvement - but everyone's gotto start somewhere :)

Feel free to burn the lot to the ground though...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    wow, seriously awesome pictures.

And cool locations, I didn't know you traveled that much.

3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Thanks kak :D

Yeah do travel around - at least when money allows....

This is just in. Definately at home. But, somehow, in my short history as a picture-taker...

[​IMG]

maybe my least bad one... This is again my Z650, with 6 seconds of exposure (!) and F/3.2. A lucky shot, really. I was just about to call it a day. It started to rain. And then I found this perfect picket-pole on which I could take the pic. I love how the blue of the electricity plant contrasts with the orange-purple air and that the color at bridge-level matches the colour of the lights on the bridge. It's not entirely sharp, though... limitations of the camera, I'd say :(

4. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    These are really cool pictures Tur! Well done :)

5. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    that's an electric plant you say? Pretty cool compared to the ones near me ;P

great scene!