The Prince That Was Promised/R + L = J Theories - WARNING: SPOILERS

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Kraas

Kraas New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Can you guys find the passage about dragons & gender? I'd like to read over that again. I think my dad is borrowing all my ASoIaF books right now though, so I'll have to wait until I am back home to read that, though.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Meh... sorry for the very late response. Here's the direct quote, however: (There may be some errors, as I typed this myself at 1:00 AM...)
    Page 520 on the American hardcover edition for AFFC:

On Braavos, it had seemed possible that Aemon might recover. Xhondo's talk of dragons had almost seemed to restore the old man to himself. That night, he ate every bite Sam put before him. "No one ever looked for a girl," he said. "It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought... the smoke from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young, but later he became persuaded that it was his own son who fulfilled the prophecy, for a comet had been seen above King's Landing on the night Aegon was conceived, and Rhaegar was certain the bleeding star had to be a comet. What fools we were, who thought ourselves so wise! The error crept in from the translation. Dragons are neither male nor female, Barth saw the truth of that, but now one and now the other, as changeable as flame. The language misled us all for a thousand years. Daenerys is the one, born amidst salt and smoke. The dragons prove it." Just talking of her seemed to make him stronger. "I must go to her. I must. Would that I was even ten years younger."

3. Lord Beric

Lord Beric LORD BERIC

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I Have Read Bits And Pieces Of This Thread, So I Apologize If This Was Said Or Doesn't Make Sense. Somewhere In The Book It Says Dragons Always Come In Threes. Is This Correct?

I Really Do Think That Dani Is The Princess That Was Promised. Its A Huge Deal And It Wouldn't Make Sense To Have Someone That Isn't A Main Character Be The Promised One. But Who Will Or Are The Other Three Targaryians Since There Are Three Dragons.

Jon Snow Or Should I Say Jon Targaryian......dani.......their Son/daughter??

4. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    1st one, is correct.

I'm not to sure of the speculation about Jon, but in one of the books I'm pretty sure Dany mentions taking two husbands. Those would probably be the Dragons. But that's just speculation.

By the way, why are all of your words capitalized?

5. Ravus

Ravus New Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Dani... Jon (i hope :p) but Dani can't have any kids now... maybe she'll be magically healed at some stage but as it stands, baron as the desert.

I hope it Tyrion :D I base this on nothing other than his liking for dragons and watching things burn...

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Kaelmarr: I'm pretty sure it's because he had his caps lock on. TFF takes all-caps posts and converts them into a The First Letter Of Each Word Is Capitalized format.

I believe we had another (old) thread this, or more specifically on the Dragon's three heads. Might wanna' search for that and read the speculation on there.