The Picture of Yourself thread

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by Liadan, May 7, 2009.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure a lot of people are going to condemn me for being insular, but I'm kind of getting a bit irritated with the influx of new posters who do nothing besides post pictures of themselves in the Picture of Yourself thread.

I'm going to get offensive now. If you're likely to get upset, I suggest you stop reading this thread.

I come to TFF for discussion. If I wanted to see desperately insecure females who have to post new pictures of themselves once a week to get their fix of praise of "Oh nice picture!" or "Oh you're so pretty," there are other places to do it. Like Facebook, or Myspace, or one of those social networking sites. Since everyone at TFF is too nice to actually say anything else besides "oh nice picture," it gets a little bit old seeing the same people who do nothing BUT post in there, and maybe a thread or two, mostly in the Random Chat section.

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I do think that there's something wrong if I remember a poster not by the actual posts they've made but for the dozens of pictures they post of themselves. I hate it. I'm not saying that people shouldn't post pictures of themselves, or that I hate all new members. I am saying that it gets extremely irritating to find people attempting to gain some measure of confidence by continuously posting pictures of themselves.

Maybe some people care about them. I don't. I don't need an update on what you look like every week. What's more, I tend to not actually care what you look like unless I've had interaction with you - outside of the Spam or Random Chat section. Sure, you got a new haircut, you went on vacation, you went to an interesting party and had some funny pictures? Go for it, it's something NEW. But please, please, please stop posting pictures for internet attention.

/rant

• Like Like x 2
  2. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Umad? Umad!

Unfortunately the whole frequent picture posting doth be lame especially when it's not different each time.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Stop stealing my lines fool. Although technically the grammar's different, I go "umad? urmad".

Also, before anyone says anything:

1-10?

4. AlphaAlex

AlphaAlex Official Forum Nuisance

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -0
    haha! that was great :D What annoys me about that thread is the random conversations people have in there that have nothing to do with the pics.

Ive only posted a couple to a few pics in there, the last being valentines day. Every time I view that thread, there are either pages of conversation and no photos, or just the same people posting new photos. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Go Liadan! I tottaly agree with you :)

6. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    I went into the picture thread one day and discovered that it's really an attention whore/insipid compliment thread. So I never went back.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Forums are rather like books - as soon as you let the public at them they don't use them right ;)

The only controls are harsh mods and I don't think TFF needs them for this situation - its not that bad honestly, just a handfull of posts that some people don't like that much. Sure people could do other things with their time, but I would hate that threads like the one mentioned above would end up heavily moderated to just photos and lose that open aspect to all members that it currently has. We would lose something there and gain nothing in return save for an organised multiperson profile archive.

8. Jet

Jet I Improvised

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    "Me want more "hot" girl pictures, less boys!" - Jet

9. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    *takes paw -- uses claws -- swats jet with paw*
    cold showers are that way *points* ;)

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Lol. That's pretty much what it's become. I sometimes go in there when friends tell me they've put up new hilarious pictures, or for adorable baby pictures, etc. but otherwise nowadays it's like "Are you people really this insecure?"

11. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    @Liadan post #1 : *applauds* :D

12. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I must admit, I do think that thread belongs in the Spam section. Surely if people want to post pictures of themselves they can do so on their profile page? It all seems a bit meaningless and random otherwise.

13. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    It was initially supposed to be a once in a while thing or even just once where you see the face behind the poster.

14. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That thread was around way before the ability to have albums in your profile.

15. Thy Fearful Symmetry

Thy Fearful Symmetry New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    But now that people can post in their profile, it's redundant, no?

16. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so. I personally have no problem with the thread. That's me though.

17. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You know I like you Liadan, so don't take anything I say the wrong way.

General chat was created for well... General talking between forum members. It was supposed to be anything that wasn't fantasy related that members want to talk about. People like to talk to each other about nothing. Some people like to post pictures of themselves. ALOT It's a personal preference in life. Me personally, I don't like posting pictures of myself on the internet where any random stranger can see them.

I really thought when Skyanide created the Random chat forum that these issues from the senior members would disappear. No matter what we do, you're not going to be happy with every picky little thing in the forum. Some people are going have different values/thought from you and you're going to get annoyed.

All the while that spammy ASOIAF forum was active, I never once closed threads down for calling them chat. That wasn't the purpose of a guild, yet nobody stopped you. The administration here feels it's best to take a laissez-faire attitude towards the small things on the forum. I don't want to be a dictator and tell people exactly what they can post and where.

In closing, if you don't like it. Stop reading it.

18. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Love you Liadan! I completely agree!

most of the people that keep posting are butt ugly anyway...Ok that was a joke...maybe lol, ok a joke!

19. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    @ Nienor:

Not taking it the wrong way at all, but I do think that you misinterpreted. :p I'm not really expecting you to fix the problem, lol, which is why I posted this in the Rants section rather than the Comments/Suggestions area. It's impossible to draw the line between "posting too many pictures" and "posting just enough," as obviously people will have differing opinions on this. It's unrealistic to expect the thread to be moderated, so I don't. I just needed a thread where I could rant about it instead. ;)

I never said that I had a problem with the chatting in the thread; it's only to be expected when you have a lot of people who've known each other for a few years and don't otherwise communicate except through the forums - we can't call each other, and although people cite IM clients, not everyone belongs to the subgroup of "bored college students who spend too much time on the PC" like I do. The forums are the most reliable way to communicate with a bunch of people, and it's what people use. That's great, and I'm glad that I, along with everyone else, have a chance to use the General Talk section for that purpose. What I did say that I have a problem with is all the random people who literally post pictures of themselves once a week without really participating outside of it. What's the purpose? Usually, people post pictures of themselves because they mention, "Hey, I went on vacation" or because they want to show off their kids or whatever. It's a once-in-a-while thing and often on request. Yet these people continue to post their pictures, apparently to garner a handful of "Oh you're so pretty!" comments repeated about 5 times by the same posters while everyone else tactfully refrains from asking why they've posted 10 pictures in as many weeks.

In the ASoIaF forum/club's defense, it seemed to me as though we were more of a tight-knit group who also liked chatting to each other (as a group as opposed to individual PMs), and enjoyed discussing the books as well. That's what the General Talk section used to be like; my dissatisfaction with the Picture thread has been recent and only began/developed in the last couple of months. I don't mind wading through posts of people talking or making comments about pictures; I used to do that. What I do find irritating is all the people who don't post outside of that thread or make posts in the rest of the forum or really do anything besides post pictures of themselves and wait for the same old comments.

20. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    It's quite a needy thing to do.