The Phoenix Knife by UC

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It stinks to learn lessons the hard way like that...

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I got to hold the Double Shadow a couple days ago at my mall's new cutlery store. I resisted the urge to slit my hand with it and give it to the local android. :) It should hopefully be mine in the next month.

3. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Good for you, that was actually one of the first Hibben pieces that I bought. And still one of my favorites.

Be careful, though. They're addictive...:D

4. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The knife the Viceroy and Shinzon use in Nemesis is the Jackal, not the Scorpion.Sorry for the confusion. I named most of these but I forget which one is which because I never refer to them by name but by GH or UC number. I live with a number for the 8-10 months these are in product development, long before we ever decide on a name.

Sky, Glad to hear you are a Hibben/KR collector. I have the history behind each UC Hibben/Klingon knife written for my website at kitrae.net (have not gotten around to actually posting it there yet). Here is the story behind the Double Shadow. It's a little lengthy but may be of interest.

"UC453 Double Shadow - After the success of the first United Cutlery ‘Hibben Custom Design Series’ knife, the Silver Shadow (a name I came up with for a Rigid folding knife but we used for the Hibben line instead) in 1989, UC needed a follow up knife. We looked through photos of Gil’s custom knives, most designed by the wonderful Paul Ehlers and skillfully turned into 3-D art by Gil, but they were just beyond what we could do on a production basis at the time. The Silver Shadow was basically just a custom V-42 stiletto so it was not that hard to make, but we wanted something more stylish and custom looking. Gil did a few designs, really nice survival type knives as I recall, but none of us thought that was right for a follow up. Gil was used to making custom knives and he could do whatever he wanted, but we were limited to the realities of modern production methods.

I had been working on futuristic designs for the film Total Recall, which we were trying to get the license for at the time, but we were too late to get anything in the film. One of the designs I came up with was this split blade knife with a futuristic handle. We all liked the knife and one of UC’s owners, Kevin Pipes I believe, suggested it for the next Hibben knife. I was a little upset at this but then I thought, this knife may not get made at all if we don’t do something with it, and Gil makes knives that other people design all of the time. Gil still has to turn a flat, 2-D drawing into a 3D work of art, which is no easy task. I redesigned the handle, same shape as the Total Recall knife but all smooth shapes, and changed the grip to wire to match with the Silver Shadow, and kept the unique split blade as is. I did not think Gil would go for it but I showed it to him at the Blade show in Knoxville, Tennessee that year and he liked it and said he would make a custom version.

Several weeks later Gil’s custom knife arrived and it was an incredible feeling to see my knife design turned into a real hand made knife by one of my favorite knife makers. Gil made the guard and pommel out of brass and used a different material for the handle but we decided to go with the polished metal and wire wrap look of the Silver Shadow to keep continuity in the line. I think this was the first time we started using the phrase "fantasy knife". David Hall suggested we call it the Double Shadow, since it had a split blade. It went on to become one of the most successful knives in the line, and has appeared in more movies and television shows than any other UC Hibben knife. Here’s a short list: Babylon 5, Crusade, Space Rangers, White Dwarf, Gladiator (not the Ridley Scott one), Hideaway, Timecop, and The Fifth Element. It recently made an appearance in Star Trek: Nemesis thanks to Gil sending his contact Paramount a few samples."

Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
  5. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    And for the Raven from Generations...

"UC700 Raven - Since I was becoming UC’s primary knife designer I kind of willingly took on the role of coming up with design of the Hibben knife each year now. This time I was determined to make something that had the "look" of a Hibben custom fantasy knife instead of converting something I had already done. I wanted something with that flowing, elegant curvy look that people would identify with Hibben. I looked at many of his incredible fantasy knives trying to find one that could be simplified into a production knife. If I remember correctly, the name of the knife I finally settled on was called the Elf Dirk. That was the basic shape I played off of, even though the final knife barely resembles it. I created many versions of this and send the best one to Gil. He suggested some changes and we were off. We went for a black chrome look this time, and a fluted wire wrapped handle like the original Hibben knife, which I think had a sheep horn handle. I wanted the black look because of some of the custom knives I had seen made by Buster Warenski and Fred Carter were all black plated. We thought this would work for Gil’s line and it did. The finished knife was very successful. I’m not sure Gil ever made a custom version of this one. It appeared in an episode of Chris Carter’s excellent tv show Millennium."

Klingon Version of the Raven - Gil and I worked on this modified version of the Raven for Star Trek: Generations. It is the one held to Soran’s (Malcom McDowell) throat by B’Etor, one of the Klingon Duras sisters. The producers picked it because it had a Klingon look. I redesigned the blade based on one of the production designers sketches and added the Klingon lettering. Gil added the spike and made the new blades which were placed in stock Raven handles for the film props. A friend of Gil’s made the Klingon symbols on the hand guard. The ones seen in the film were dirtied up to make them look used. Gil later made 19 custom versions of this, one of which I am the proud owner of. The toy action figure of B’Etor also came with the knife accessory. As a huge Star Trek fan this was a blast to work on, as know it was for Gil as well.

6. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Interesting Kit.

Any hints on the 2004 knife?

7. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The 2004 Hibben knife is called the Centurion and is a completely original Hibben design. I have decided not to design the Hibben knives any longer because it is getting very difficult to have a different look for that line and my own KR line. Plus I have a bad habit of giving Gil all of my best designs! I'll still supervise and engineer them. This one is a copy of an actual Hibben hand made piece.

The Centurion goes back to the polished metal and wire grip look of the Silver and Double shadows. It's a large dagger, almost a short sword. Images should be going out to dealers soon. It is not very Klingon looking, but the one for 2005 that we are working on is very Klingon looking.

8. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Sounds nice.

I liked the look of the Silver Shadow, Double Shadow and Highlander Bowie (I have yet to aquire a Silent Shadow, they're pretty hard to come by).

Are you/Gil/UC still planning a Gold Edition? I've got the Gold Tiger Shark and Gold Drakonus and want to continue the trend...:)

9. nasnandos

nasnandos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I added some movie photos to the fantasy weapons gallery of the Star Trek Nemesis and Generations knives. These are images I had done up for my website.

The Silent Shadow was only made for a short period of time. I don't think even I have one. There will be a gold edition Centurion in a really beautiful display case. The handle is an amber like material for the gold version, instead of wire wrapped.

Hibben/Klingon photos

10. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info, Kit!

11. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's all great stuff, Kit! I didn't even realize that was your knife in Generations. Gonna have to add that one to the wish list now too!

12. Lovax

Lovax New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have the original "Bird-of-Prey" knife and the box that came with it. Bought it before it was pulled off the shelf. Any idea how much the original one is worth?

EDIT...

OOPS. I didn't realize how old this thread was. Sorry bout that, but I've been trying to find out about this knife. I know it has to be kinda rare, and I'm trying to raise some money. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  13. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I doubt that it's worth that much more than the Phoenix, but Kit would be able to tell you for sure.

14. Lovax

Lovax New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

Here's the original, if anyone wondered. I thought it might be rare since it was pulled from the shelf 10 years ago. I don't see them on ebay either. You could be right though. It may be the same as the Phoenix.

15. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That link doesn't work, Lovax.

I know you're new, but we have rules here about eBay. Please read them. Thanks.

16. Lovax

Lovax New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

OK, I uploaded the pic to my web space. If it doesn't work this time, I give up.

And I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't know the name of the worlds most popular auction site was a dirty word. I wasn't trying to advertise. I was just stating the fact that they have almost everything under the sun, but they didn't have my knife, which leads me to believe it's at least somewhat rare.

17. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No need to be sarcastic. Just know that those are the rules and all I do is enforce them. Boomerang has explained his reasoning for this rule many times already in other threads.

18. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Interesting pic. The only difference I see other than the different name is the different design on the sheath. I wonder why they changed that when they changed the name?

19. Lovax

Lovax New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I found this site by typing "bird of prey knife" in google, and came to this thread. Had to register a name just the read it. Having registered, I asked if it was worth anything. I didn't read the rules, because I don't cuss, I try to be kind to everyone, and I had no intentions of advertising. I guess I figured I wasn't doing anything wrong. I mean it is unusual to not even allow the word to be used in a sentence, but I guess the owner of the board has his reasons so I'll respect that. If it bothered me that much, I'd add the word to the filter list, assuming there is a filter list.

Anyway, I went ahead and sold the knife to my friend for retail value. Having done that, I have no reason to post here anymore. So once again, I'm sorry if I cause any trouble, and I wish everyone luck on their future knife collecting.

20. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hey, if you're still around here, there are plenty of reasons to stick around. Do you have any other swords or knives? There's lots of other stuff to talk about here too.

Search tags for this page

fantasy scorpion knife

klingon knife phoenix

klingon knife the phoenix for sale

star trek phoenix knife

star trek shinzon knife for sale