The Patil-sisters

Discussion in 'Books' started by Turambar, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    OK, everyone who read one of the last two books (GoF and OotP) must have noticed that the twin-sisters Padme and Parvati are placed in two seperate houses; Parvati is a Gryffindor, where Padme was placed in Ravenclaw. Now, we know that JKR doesn't do such things by accidend or for fun. Normally they serve a perpose...

So, what do you reckon made the Sorting Hat devide the twins? Is Parvati so much more brave than her sister. Or is Padme's IQ 100 points higher than her Gryffindor counterpart? Or did the sortinghat forsee some brave actions in Parvati, that Padme wouldn't? Will Padme end up on the wrong side of the equation, thus being excluded from Gryffindor by the Sorting Hat?

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Maybe they will be needed to unite Gryffindor and Ravenclaw at the final battle thing. They could have some kind of special connection, alot of twins do that will be instrumental in defeating LV.

Their names are interesting:

Parvati is a loving wife-and-mother goddess allied to Uma and Sati in Hindu religion. The name Padma is Hindi for both "lotus" (the lotus flower) and "goddess". Padma is also the Hindu goddess of the Ganges (and sister of the mountain goddess Parvati).

Padma is also another name for Lakshimi:

"Lakshmi is the Hindu Goddess Who Governs All form of Wealth and Success and the Paths, Means and Results of all forms of Prosperity. Mother Lakshmi is often depicted in several colors: Pink, Gold and White. When Lakshmi's skin color is Pink, She is the Divine Mother. When Her skin is Gold, She is the Universal Shakti and when Her skin is white, She is Mother Earth.

As the the Consort of Lord Vishnu (Narayana), who is the God of Preservation, Lakshmi Devi is the Goddess of Health and Beauty. Sri Lakshmi embodies Sublime Beauty, Siddhi, Peace, Strength, Balance, Auspiciousness, Opulance and Wisdom. Because Lakshmi possesses all of these good and noble qualities, She embodies infinite wealth~ symbolizing that good and noble qualities are the only wealth we can keep.

Lakshmi Devi is always depicted sitting or standing on a lotus with golden coins flowing in an endless stream from one of her hands~ symbolic of when the lotus of wisdom blossoms, the wealth of good and noble qualities appears and Lakshmi's blessings are present."

"Goddess Durga, also known as Parvati or Lalitha is the wife (consort) of Lord Shiva and exists in various divine (both friendly and fearful) forms. Two of her fierce but very powerful forms are Durga (goddess beyond reach) and Kali (goddess of destruction).

Both have eight hands and great power and energy (Shakti). Durga rides on a lion and Kali rides on a corpse of a demon. Parvati was called Sati in her previous divine incarnation. The family of Lord Shiva, Parvati and their sons Ganesha and Kartikeya is an ideal example of family unity and love.

She has a charming personality. She is adored by married women for a happy married life."

Interesting that one of the faces of the goddess Parvati is Kali, the goddess of destruction.

3. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Wow... Didn't realise that. I always wondered where JKR got the names from. And we know that stories behind names are quite significant in JKR's stories. It took me 3 seconds to realise Remus Lupin was a wearwolf, I realised pretty quickly that Sirius Black could be seen as "Seriously Black", as a prisoner and evil-doer, though Sirius is also the nearest star to our sun, as Sirius turned out to be the closest person to Harry's past.

But what I can understand from the various descriptions you gave, it looks like Padma is the good girl, where Parvati (the Gryffindor) potentially is the bad-ass! I mean, you don't have to be a Hindu to know Kali, as the Goddes of Destruction..., but also Ganesha is quite well-known; he is the beneficient Elephant-god, isn't he? I mean, after reading the text above, JKR could take the characters all sorts of ways, but these are to well-known entitiesb (Kali and Ganesha). Could it mean that she will get a child at the end, with one of the leading characters? By the way, destruction could also mean the destruction of evil, doesn't it? That would secure a place in Gryffindor for sure.

At least you have given us more than enough material to speculate about, Sorcha... How did you know, anyway? The Belief-O-Matic showed you a mere 50% Hindu...

4. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Also, Sirius=dog star
    Black=black

Black Dog :)

and as to how I know: CoS forums and I did some research ;)

5. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Nice... Didn't know that.

And indeed, research... The net has often more to offer than one might think. Shood be doing more of that, actually

6. PenguinofDeath

PenguinofDeath The name says it all.

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Do you think the fact that Sirius is red, and within Cancer has any relevance? I mean...cancer is fatal and all that, and it's the sign of the moon...Which could be linked to Professor Lupin o_O

7. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Could be. Little far-feched, though...

8. PenguinofDeath

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I don't really believe that has any relevance. Was just trying to sound learned :)

Although Sirius also means Osiris, the egyptian god of the underworld, Brightly Radiating One, Spirit of Wisdom and 'Transition Stage,' moving from one consciousness to the other (through the curtain to the underworld?) I doubt this has relevence, but I love google and its ability to make anyone sound intelligent :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  9. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hope that wasn't in reference to me ;)

That might have some relevance, because the Grim, big black dog, was supposed to signal your death, and Sirius was mistaken for the Grim.

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    At least you were intelligent enough to use Google...

11. PenguinofDeath

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Osiris had a dog's head, I think, and that's from my own knowledge! That's what contributed to it being called the Dog Star

12. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I knew the thing about Osiris I think but didn't know that's where the dogstar came from :)