The Paranormal

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Turambar, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    So where are we on this one?

Phenomena that can't be explained by current science, such as therapeutic touch, auras, homeopathy. Is there more between heaven and earth to be explored or is it all a bunch of (commercial?) nonsense to be stopped rather today than tomorrow?

oh, and please try to keep traditional religion out of this for once. All the discussions so far have either been about Bush or Christianity, so I'd to see neither, for a change.

2. Fingon

Fingon The High King

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Well I heard a lengend of the Great Hiding of the Elves. It is very long and beautiful. I will tell it in a few words.
    Long ago, when the world was still young and beautiful, there were beings wiser and more powerful then of men kind. Elves they were. Long they lived in bliss, power and beauty. They had no fear of darkness nor of age. But the comming of man kind changed the world forever. The elves went into hiding, far beyond the reach of any eye. A prediction was made by the wise that a day will come when the darkness will shatter, and the wise will come forth. They will come to live together in union of elves and men.
    I personally believe in it. You may call me anything you want. But I firmly believe in it.
    And I wouldn't call this paranormal, more of a story.
    ~Fingon

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I guess I cant respond. try some unknowncountry.com or artbell.com though.

4. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I don't believe it is commercial nonsense. I really have no proof to back this up, but I would say that it does exist. Just because Science has no current answer doesn't mean we shouldn't give up investigating this stuff. Many things seen a couple centuries ago were seen in a mysterious sense by folk of that time, but now that we have advanced our knowlegde we have answers for why things things take place. I'm willing to bet that in 200 years many of these things will be answered.

5. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    First off, yes I beleve in the Paranoraml.

Second, I think science CAN explain a lot of this. I think those who contact the Paranormal with their mind are a whole lot of junk.

6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    well, I have a certain opinion about these topics, and a very radical, as usual... But for once, I'd like to evoke a discussion, in stead of starting one. I mean, a quick look on the Forum indicates that both believers and non-believers in these phenomena are present, and sure enough... One would like to clear his (or her... her would be nice) mind sooner or later. At least that is what I hoped. Thanks, Radagast for taking this up....

Bet taken, Radagast :D

Since the discussion has a hard time to start, I would like to narrow the discussion, for now. What about Auras. You know, the energy shield every person has been claimed to have, telling about emotions, healt and such of a person. Some claim to be able to see them, some claim to be able to photograph them. What to think about those?

7. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I believe in the paranormal. I think a lot of it is also subjective, and that the human mind is is vastly not-understood. I think it will take a lot more than 200 years to figure humans out, and until then, we have to settle for explanations for "stuff" based on (limited) human scientific knowledge, religious faith...or otherwise.

I've actually heard this before too, and I believe it, or something a lot like it *nodnod* :D:D:D

Auras.

Right then. I have a friend who says (and I believe her) that she is a genuine psychic, and she can (among other things) see auras. She doesn't particularly like her "gift" of being psychic, but that's getting off track already...

Anyway, I think that some are just receptive to auras and can "see" it in the mind as colours etc. And then they can learn to interpret them just as you might learn which fruits are edible, which aren't. I think of auras as just an extention of the physical body... a projection of your state of being, your health status, your emotions...

Kinda like some give off a bad smell. :p You can't really see it, but you know generally who it's coming from, and you steer clear as well as you can. Or if you're being nice you can offer some advice - take a bath! *c*

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    This is interesting... What do you reckon, did she had "the gift" since she can ever remember? I heared that claim before, you see... And they turned out to see things, but quite something different from Auras; visual refractions, ocular imprintings, to name a few. I, too was at one time convinced I could see them, but I am quite sure now it was something else. But your friend is all the more interesting because she claimes to be able to "do" more. Maybe we have a genuine on our hands...