The Original Star Wars! On DVD! Un-re-mastered!

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Tamzen, May 4, 2006.

1. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

Hurray!!!

These will only be availble for a very limited time though. Make sure you get them soon as you can.

2. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Original Star Wars on DVD

'Due to overwhelming demand' Lucas has decided to make new DVD editions of the original Star Wars trilogy which will have the unaltered original movies as bonuses on the discs.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars."

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060503.html

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Woo hoo! Han shot first, that's all I want to say :)

Does anyone know if they can be bought anywhere other than the Star Wars web shop? Will they be released in stores or just online?

4. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Please say stores! Please say stores!

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
  6. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    Personally I think this is a waste of time, but yeah im not so surprised that Lucasfilm are releasing them after countless bitching from certain fans since the special editions were brought out. For me, the special editions ARE Star Wars, I want to see Lucas's vision, and when he originally made them, they werent the way he wanted them to be.

So me personally, I wont be getting these dvds, a waste of money

7. Patrick Kelly

Patrick Kelly New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I agree. Lucas himself has admited that the re-releases are the films as he imagined them. The originals were the best he could do at the time. However, this is a smart business move on the part of Lucas films since it can only add to the Star Wars cash cow. On the other hand, don't fool yourself in thinking it's out of concern for the fans, it's business. Afterall, these are the same folks who tried to sue Battlestar Galactica, circa '79, for "stealing space", in an attempt to sew up the sci-fi market for themselves.

8. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    yeah george lucas is a shrude businesman, but this is for the fans...even the DVD edition in 2004 was made especially for fans...that is why some o the changes on the DVD are so stupid, cause they were made too fast to please the fans.

9. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'll get 'em for nostagia purposes. I actually don't mind any of the SE versions...

...aside from "ballzie" Greedo, the Wampa monkey suit, Luke's scream (thank God that's gone,) Vader's " :littlethi tell my Stardestroyer to prepare for my arrival :littlethi " and that Neo-tribal victory music that replaced the Ewok's "Yub-yub!"

Yeah other than that, I'm a-ok with 'em.

:cool:

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I dont care who shot first, altho I have to admit it was cooler when Han shot first...it seemed wrong when they tried them to both shoot or when Greedo first shot and still could miss. Luke's scream...yeah they got rid of it because it made it suicidal, and it was not an act of suicide (altho it looks like that) and actually the line is "Alert my stardestroyter to prepare for my arrival" I dont care much about that either and Im even glad they replaced the Ewok music