The Most Influential Fantasy Moment Of Your Life

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Harlequin, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Lady Galeth

Lady Galeth Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Well as a kid I read the Wizard of Oz, the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and the Hobbit. But probably the moment I got into fantasy was when I watched LotR 1 and 2. That was before Return of the King came out.

2. Detth

Detth Wanderer

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, i don't remember :rolleyes:..Ever since i remember i liked history based films&video games...When my brother and i got a burned CD copy of Age of Empires I i thought my life was complete xD..Years later i started to play an mmo called Runescape which is medieval-fantasy based game with countless posibilities and things to do..In the meantime i read the LOTR books and Harry Potter books and then it started to grow stronger inside me :D

3. Pinkduckie

Pinkduckie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    The Harry Potter series got my into reading but it wasn't after Temeraire by Naomi Novik I really started reading Fantasy :)

4. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    funny as it sounds... but in my life "Hobbit" was like just another fairy tale... the problem was that I hated fairy tales... and I LOVED hobbit... it took me years to realize that Hobbit was fantasy... (born in crappy USSR)... first fantasy which I did realize that was fantasy was "Witch world" by Andre Norton.. I don't even follow that anymore ... but I have to give a credit nevertheless ....

5. TheLonelyGod

TheLonelyGod The Lonely God

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Chrono Trigger made me into a fantasy fanatic, and got me into the world of RPGs.

6. rochari

rochari Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The first chapter of Dragons of Autumn Twilight when I was a teenager. Filled with mystery, characterization and seasonal descriptiveness. I'd never even pick up a book of that caliber now, but back in the day it gave a lot of us our start.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    When I was younger my dad used to read to me and my brothers and sisters. Back then it was a mix of The Hobbit, Narnia* and Lord of the Rings (although I believe we only made it part way through Narnia and LotR due to siblings who got - some how! - bored).

My dad also used to make up stories which inevitably tended to have a fantasy edge to them - I recall those being when we were rather much younger.

I would say that those coupled with the cartoons of the 80-90s cemented my love of fantasy and sci-fi. Whilst I never got a tickle for strong science sci-fi the whole adventure and spaceships and lasers and pew-pew side of things always interested me. For me it was the magic of fantasy or of sci-fi that drew me in.

There were also those fantastic films like Labyrinth, Willow and Neverending Dream. To this day I still regard that era of films as being the most magical - something about puppets and the cinematography of that age just screams fantasy to me FAR more so than CGI and modern films do - even though CGI can do things that back then were near impossible (or just impractical). Same for sci-fi films - I LOVE proper spaceship models - heck even the intro part to SpaceBalls is fantastic for that aspect.

That stuck with me too - I didn't watch Dark Crystal till I was past 20 or so but it still resonates as pure fantasy to me for its cinematography and puppet use. Heck I'm sure I saw snippets of that and others - a few moments caught on screen - that sit in that grey area of the mind, remembered but not in clarity.

And yes this means that there isn't one moment where I suddenly liked fantasy; its a whole string that added up and built on each other one after the other which resulted in it. Although I would say that it was the early reading and stories which likely sparked it off.

*To this day I've still not read The Last Battle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. rochari

rochari Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    To this day I still haven't seen Labyrinth.

9. Sedeslav

Sedeslav New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i was a soldier in a real war. ...enough said :) Insane

10. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    The first fantasy book I remember reading was also "The Hobbit". My 7th grade teacher had a wire book rack in our classroom and I found the book there. I'd never read a story like it before and I found it riveting...especially the parts about Smaug, the dragon. Looking back on it now I think that teacher had a real passion for fantasy and sci fi. I remember her reading us:
    [​IMG]

and that we had to read:
    [​IMG]

in class. I blame and bless that teacher for my lifelong fantasy / sci fi obsession. :D

11. Arkonian Doyle

Arkonian Doyle Escapist

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Without doubt!
    I started writing after reading the triology of "inkheart" by Cornelia Funke (the first book is called "Inkheart", secondly there's "Inkspell" and last but not the least: "Inkdeath").

An amazing journey that was!

12. RosInTrouble

RosInTrouble New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have always been into fantasy, actually. My parent's were both real hard-core Sci-fi fans but I really never did got into the Sci-fi kick. My mother was moderately into fantasy and I got much more invested in that side, so she'd share some of her fantasy interests with me, plus growing up in the 90's were the fantasy genre was moderately promoted helped me a lot into getting into the subject as well. So, for getting hooked into fantasy, that's the story.

Now however, I do not know if this is really into the subject, but fantasy did had mayor impacts in my life a couple of times. I've always been an outcast and the "being different is good" sort of narrative always helped a lot, but, stronger than that, sometimes a book will call to me and tell me "read me, I'm changing your life" I'm absolutely sure my life would not have been the same without the Dark Elf saga, for example, and i doubt i'd read as much as I do haven't it been for Harry Potter. In the long road of self discovery, I think the metaphorical journeys from the fantasy heroes helped me a lot to understand my own situation and personality, and shaped my role-models and expectations for a lifetime. Fantasy has been not just an interest for me, but a Journey of self-discovery and a goal-setter. I do not know if anyone else here has a similar experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Lurttz

Lurttz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favourite fantasy moment was when I watched the lord of the rings and the first time I played dungeons and dragons. I was a half-Orc warlock. Anyone else play D&D?