The Most Influential Fantasy Moment Of Your Life

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by Harlequin, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Everyone loves a Jester !

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -1
    Mine was as a child - There was a TV show called Jackanory - effectively a minor TV celebrity would guest for a week reading stories out on TV.
    During the summer school holidays on particular year the story was "The Hobbit" - I was transfixed and hooked for life.
    Instantly pestered my mum for the book and read it end to end so many times that the book wore out.

What's the moment that you were hooked by Fantasy - Game, Book, Film or TV etc ?

• Like Like x 4
  2. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    Fantasy has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My parents (and their parents) were all very nurturing of imagination. My dad introduced me to sci-fi, horror, and fantasy movies and comics. My mom loves fantasy films/animation and collecting books and art (especially fantasy art). My grandma was into fantasy and horror alike, which is probably one of the reasons I so greatly enjoy a mixture of the two genres. She had a book of Grimm's grimmest fairy tales that I was obsessed with. My uncle also gave me an art book of Frank Frazetta's work, which just blew my mind. I honestly can't really remember a time before fantasy was a part of my life, but I'm so glad it is! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    It's a bit strange because I have absolutely no memory of it, but it was an illustrated book, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi by Rudyard Kipling, I read when I was about six. My parents said I read it and started copying the artwork in the book. Since I'm an artist it must have had some profound effect on me... that I can't remember.:eek:
    But then again, I won a writing contest in first grade and road on a Tournament of Roses Parade float with other winners of school writing contests... and I also don't recall anything like that ever happening to me! Even when they show me an old photograph of it! Sometimes I think my parents and siblings were just giving me an entire fantasy edition of my life... and in reality I was heavily sedated in a mental institution. Sort of like Matrix daycare.:confused:

I wonder though, since it's when we're very young that things like books and movies have such a deep effect on the way we go on to filter things, that none of us truly remember what it was that got the windmills in our mind turning. I do fondly remember reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Where the Wild Things Are, and then writing book reports.

4. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    The most influential fantasy moment of my life was as a very young child opening up my first Moomintroll book. Once I saw Tove Jansson's strange, unearthly, black & white drawings, I was hooked. I love them so much that I tracked down all new copies of those books a couple of years ago. They still stand up today. She was an artistic genius!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    I don't know that there was ever a profound moment. Star Wars was great, but I don't remember it in any special light, honestly. Tolkien didn't leave much of an impression either, I sorta just picked up any book that looked good and had a preference for Crichton anyway. I guess the thing that really cemented me to the fantasy genre was good old DnD. Lots of fun times playing, monster slaying, and getting out of imaginary mischief.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I think it was a mixture of watching my dad play Kings Field 2, watching the Smurfs on tv, and The Hobbit and HP that really got me going on a lot of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. frogdude

frogdude Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Seeing the original Clash of the Titans at the cinema when I was about 5 or 6, and having The Weirdstone of Brisingamen read to my class at school a few weeks after.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daragoian

Daragoian Dragon Rider

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It was my dad that introduced me to Fantasy through The Lord of the Rings films first of all (extended edition too) and once I'd seen that, I was hooked! I listened to the radio version and read the books and then branched out to look at other books and films in the realm of Fantasy. All those other worlds created by words and imagination, it never ceases to amaze me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MattII

MattII Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Sitting down with the Discworld Companion in the School library one lunchtime, because it was that afternoon that saw me develop an interest not just in Discworld, but in fantasy as a whole.

10. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    It was also the Hobbit that hooked me. After that I started reading Harry Potter and later Lord of the Rings. Pretty basic fantasy for me :)

11. Kovar15

Kovar15 Active Member

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    For me it was reading the Redwall series. It led me to a life of wanting to fight evil and rescue those in need, it also led me to Tolkien.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Emerlas

Emerlas Emerz

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -0
    Friend poi ted me in the directionof Lotr books started reading and didn't stop reading fantasy after that
    Had been a nut for all thing alice in wonderland before than still am so fantasy was just always lingering Reading Lotr just threw me into the thick of it

• Like Like x 1
  13. K.S. Crooks

K.S. Crooks New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    The moments that stand out for me are my 8th birthday when my aunt gave me the Narnia series and the first time I watched the claymation Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts. Watching people sword fight with skeletons and giant metal statues is awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  14. EgyptianSuccubus

EgyptianSuccubus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love the Redwall Series

15. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +211 / 2 / -0
    I think for me it was when I read The Prydain Chronicles as a child and watching Knightmare and the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, they really got me into fantasy. Plus playing games like HeroQuest and Battlemasters and then Warhammer.

16. Ralex

Ralex The Hero of Ages

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    DnD was my "trigger". I started playing it when I was 15 and I never stopped doing so even after 13 years. I started reading fantasy books recently 'cause I was feeling dumb for my friends know so much of fantasy and I don't. I didn't want to be DnD player without proper fantasy foundation. Quickly after I started reading "The Game of Thrones" I realised I'm totally attached to fantasy and I was asking myself: "What the hell did you do without books, you idiot?!". Now, I can't spend a single day without reading at least one chapter of the book. :)

17. Fafnir

Fafnir Consutum De Ventito

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Willow. Remember little of it, but it was enough of a trigger when I was 3 to inspire me, and I went from there. It's the earliest thing I can remember, other than loving Spider-Man (mixed feelings about him now because of the films).

18. TwinkleBat

TwinkleBat New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For me it was a mixture of the Chronicles of Narnia, The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and Alice in Wonderland (though the last is possibly more nonsensical that fantastical).

19. Dipti Bahuguna

Dipti Bahuguna New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    When first time I watched The lord of the rings it was the awesome moment for me.

20. Nicol Bolas

Nicol Bolas Leviathan

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Without a doubt it was when I was introduced to old school AD&D. We used the classic DM'S Guide and Player's Manual. Very basic but immensely entertaining, except when our DM would get all liquored up and became basically useless. That aside, my experience playing had a huge influence in choosing my favorite video game genre being rpgs.

• Like Like x 1