The Mortality Of Melkor

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Now, beforei we start this debate, let everyone know that I stole it from the good people at The Tolkien Forum. I thought it was a great debate, and I wanted to know what TFF thought of the idea. So, kudos to Hammersmith, as it was his idea.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I think something got a little confused there...

3. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Melian never died, she just fled back to Valinor, as the Lady said.

As for Melkor, I always thought all the Valar could die. The thing is only Melkor ever came close to dying. The Valar were always in Valinor, with exception to Ulmo, and Valinor never came under any danger. Compared to Angbang, which was attacked several times. I'm sure at least one Maiar was killed during the War of Wrath, and a lot probalby received injuries.

I beleived the Valar did not kill Melkor because They did not beleive in it. They showed him mercy. Besides, the Void seems rather comparible to death, doesn't it?

4. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the Valar would fall for the old "Im good now, I swear" trick a second time...

5. Luther_the_Great

Luther_the_Great The Amazing

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the Istari are Maia are they, Sauron was a Maia and he was much more powerful than the Istari, so was Melian for that matter. For another thing, and actually on the subject of this debate, the Maia cannot be killed. Sauron was washed away in the flood of Numenor and it only killed his body. His spirit was able to take shape and remake another body. So if the maia can do that, then I would definately assume the Valar could do that. Also, Melkor kept getting weaker the longer his domain lasted. He was the only one of the Valar to have slaves and he put a large part of his power into his slaves so that at the end there were Maia who he was afraid to touch. Also his wickedness ate him up. So, assuming that he was like the Maiar, his body could be destroyed, leaving his spirit to do whatever it wanted to do. This I would assume to be a major inconvience, just ask Sauron. It happened to him,
    twice, the last time was the biggest blow for him and he lost all his power, but he still wasn't dead.

6. walker1979

walker1979 dream weaver

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the istari are Maia..Olorion i was called in the West,Gandalf said..They were send toMiddle Earth to combat Sauron and only by being clothed in mortal guise:hunger weariness ect,could they suceed.+Sauron was always one of the most powerful of Melkors allies..So yep the Istari were Maia..Does'nt add anything to the question.just wanted to clear that up;)

7. Eraisuithon

Eraisuithon Moriquendi

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Morgoth could never have died. Gandalf died, but Olorin did not. His Maia spirit left his human body. He had to take human form to help the peoples of Middle-Earth. When the Balrog killed him he killed Gandalf and sent Olorin "back" - therefore the actual Maia inside is immortal like the elves. Any of the Ainur are totally impossible to kill.